Kanye's Grammy performance Sunglasses

ghosthound

Newly Enlightened
Ive been looking everywhere for more information about the sunglasses kanye wore during his performance at the grammy's. My first assumption was that they are some sort of CFL type lighting due to the even light texture throughout the entire frame but something tells me that maybe its some sort of LED based device with some sort of diffuser since i see no bright spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxT19wNtY4 (he turns them on at about 33 secs)

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how they are made, and possibly a source for where i can get the materials, i would love to try to make something like his. Obviously if they are in fact CFL tubes, i wouldnt be able to make them. Thanks!

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
I saw a pretty short clip, so I'm not entirely sure, but I think they are just using a black light or something very similar to light up all the white accent items on stage. Similar because it doesn't have that purple glow.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a pretty short clip, so I'm not entirely sure, but I think they are just using a black light or something very similar to light up all the white accent items on stage. Similar because it doesn't have that purple glow.
I'm not so sure. To me they seem to be emitting their own light because they don't seem to change intensity as he moves or changes his angle or even looks down.

Here's a still picture

mchlwise

Enlightened
I also think they're emissive, not reflective - they're putting out their own light not reflecting it.

It could be some of that thin-film glowy stuff applied to the glasses then trimmed, with a wire running down to a battery pack. :shrug:

B@rt

Flashaholic
Definately emissive, from his site:
thumb316488245918d83159cj5.jpg
thumb316440ab30d35e4c09pf5.jpg

3164f68e49c8d0bc252d63eua8.jpg

Enlighted did some work for him before, maybe they are responsible for these as well? :shrug:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
After hearing about the performance (and seeing him accept an award in the light up jacket), I was glad I recorded the whole show.

It appears while he's performing that the glasses are strapped on, and there were cords running back behind the arms of the glasses and down the back of his neck.

He runs offstage between songs to take them off, and he gets the glasses off but you can see the battery pack hangingoff the bottom of his jacket (appears it didnt disconnect in time so he said screw it and came back out).

What about really bright EL material? That's the only thing I can see getting illuminated that evenly.

Regardless it was pretty cool to see. Check out his music video to see what look he was copying. Pretty nuts pulling it off with a similar look live.

EDIT: Actually whatever the pack (presumably the battery pack) I spoke of is visible the whole video, appears to have a small light up section as well. Guessing it's one power supply for both the jacket and the glasses.

Last edited: