UltraFire BJO8A CREE Q5 vs. Jetbeam CL-E v1.0

graphicator

Newly Enlightened
My favourite compact light is a Jetbeam CL-E v1.0. I use it with a 14500 battery and take it with me on hikes, geocaching, camping etc..
It gets a bit hot on high, but it never failed me. I have used it for many hours.
It is compact, sturdy and the weight is light enough to put it in a headband (made to fit a minimag) so I can use it as a headlamp too. On low mode I can use it many nights in a row without having to change the battery.
This compact led light also produces so much light on high mode that it amazes a lot of people that I meet.

As led technology evolved during the year I was interested in buying another low cost, very bright compact flashlight that can handle a 14500 battery.
I found this one:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=174291

The UltraFire BJO8A CREE Q5 output on high mode looks very promising compared to my 'old' Jetbeam CL-E: Max output on high at 1 meter = 3350 lux.

I got it today and took some photo's and found out that there was not much difference in brightness between the lights. I had expected a much brighter light. On high mode the Ultrafire seems to be just a little brighter.
The color of the Ultrafire has a slight yellow/green tint compared to the CL-E.

The tailcap is orange and does not glow in the dark.

The Ultrafire is on the left and the CL-E on the right.
img1454cu2.th.jpg

The tailcap of the Ultrafire.

All beamshots were taken with a shutterspeed of 1/50 sec. and F/5.
CL-E on the left and
UltraFire BJO8A on the right.

Low mode

Medium mode

High mode

I made some nightshots.
My camera only allows an exposure of 1 sec. at F/2,8, so the images are underexposed and slightly unsharp.

UltraFire BJO8A

Jetbeam CL-E

In my opinion the UltraFire BJO8A has far less flood and even throws less far than the CL-E.
I find that very disappointing for a flashlight that claims to be as bright as a Fenix P3D CE.
I also don't like the greenish tint of the Cree Q5. It is obviously less intense than the white tint of the XR-E.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 4 or 5 C-LE 1.0's. Like em alot, Nanolube smoothed the threads out quite a bit. I ordered the 2.0 because I liked the 1.0 so much but the 2.0 was a big disappointment quite frankly. I run my 1.0's on lithium cells and they work very well.

lightbug

Enlightened
From your photo, it appears UltraFire BJO8A CREE Q5 is using the same dirver as the Ultrafire C2 Q5 5-mode and Ultrafire 602C Q5 5-mode.

lightbug

Enlightened
I'm not sure, someone else might be more familar with powerful circuit boards. sorry.