Need your help in choosing a new daily...

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
Hey all, I currently have a cr123 x2 3 watt led lenser from coast cuttlery. I thought it was the brightest led I could get, Untill I found this site a week ago. But with all the choices, I can't make up my mind. I'd like it to be around the size of the lenser (4.875 x 1.062) but can be smaller or a little larger. Must have a tailcap clicky and would prefer a single led light. I just think they have a better beam. Lastly I would like it brighter than my lenser which is 150 lumins. Also, 80% of my usage occurs within 6 feet. 50% of that its withing 3 feet. Cost doesn't matter. Any Ideas?

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Hey all, I currently have a cr123 x2 3 watt led lenser from coast cuttlery. I thought it was the brightest led I could get, Untill I found this site a week ago. But with all the choices, I can't make up my mind. I'd like it to be around the size of the lenser (4.875 x 1.062) but can be smaller or a little larger. Must have a tailcap clicky and would prefer a single led light. I just think they have a better beam. Lastly I would like it brighter than my lenser which is 150 lumins. Cost doesn't matter. Any Ideas?

Fenix P3D Q5?

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
How about up close? 80% of my usage occurs within 6 feet. 50% of that its withing 3 feet.

Bolek

Enlightened
Leef / Milkyspit Gotham Flashlight SSC LED if you can afford it.
If not VB-16 HA-III SSC or Q5

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd recommend the P3D-CE Q5.

Lower modes for up close and higher modes for further away. 8% off coupon for Fenix Store is "CPF8".

Also get RCR123 batteries with it if you will use it often.

:welcome:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P3D when You want to go Li-Ion CR123a
Fenix L2D when You want to stay normal Ni-Mh

copperfox

Enlightened
If 80% of your usage is within 6 feet, then I would highly recommend a floody beam. I would personally use a light with a SSC LED and a reflector. A great quality light (over $100) would be the Novatac 120. It uses a single CR123 and has programmable brightness levels. For cheaper (~$35) look at the Lumapower LM33 or LM31 (1x123 and 1xAA, respectively). These lumapower lights are both two-mode (low, high, off). On full brightness, the Novatac is the brightest of the ones I mentioned.

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
Alright, Thus far I'm stuck between two lights. The Fenix P3D Q5 @ 215Lm from www.FenixTactical.com and the Olight T20-T-Q5 @ 220Lm from www.ledKings.com. Overall I like the Fenix better, But I love the momentary on and belt Holster of the Olight. I could live without the momentary on, but that Fenix holster looks useless. Anyone know where I can get a better holster for the fenix? Other than that, what are you opinions between the two lights???

(I do love the T1 from Fenix but not sure If I want to carry something that large around. My light stays on my belt almost all year round soo...Dunno.)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
A great quality light (over $100) would be the Novatac 120.

+1

Four easily programmed modes from .08 to 120 L, 1.0"x3.3", textured reflector & SSC P4 provide one of the nicest beams of any light I own.

I have two 120Ps, and wouldn't mind having a few more. IMO, it's one of the most versatile lights available.

phosphor

Enlightened
Alright, Thus far I'm stuck between two lights. The Fenix P3D Q5 @ 215Lm from www.FenixTactical.com and the Olight T20-T-Q5 @ 220Lm from www.ledKings.com. Overall I like the Fenix better, But I love the momentary on and belt Holster of the Olight. I could live without the momentary on, but that Fenix holster looks useless. Anyone know where I can get a better holster for the fenix? Other than that, what are you opinions between the two lights???

(I do love the T1 from Fenix but not sure If I want to carry something that large around. My light stays on my belt almost all year round soo...Dunno.)
The Fenix holster actually works quite well.

The Olight T20-T-Q5 is so new that I don't believe there are any reviews yet; however I suspect it will have a beam pattern just like the T20 Q5.....tight, throwy hot spot with plenty of usable spill. The Fenix beam will not have such a tight "hot spot"; it's OP reflector will make for less transition between spot and spill. Both lights use a Q5 emitter so generally speaking they will have cooler, white-ish, beams. The Olight T20-T-Q5 is larger ( taller, slightly bigger ) than the T20 Q5 which in turn is a bit taller with a bigger head than the Fenix P3D. The Fenix in some circumstances will be more "pocket-friendly".

A momentary switch is a nice feature...and given a choice between two identical lights, if I could get the momentary feature, I would nearly always opt for it. But, personally, the lack of a momentary switch on a light is never a deal breaker for me. It is my hunch the next generation of Fenix lights will offer forward clickies with momentary.

Both are nice lights...I understand your delemia making a choice. I think it would be difficult to make a wrong one between the two !

- regards

Last edited:

meuge

Enlightened
Alright, Thus far I'm stuck between two lights. The Fenix P3D Q5 @ 215Lm from www.FenixTactical.com and the Olight T20-T-Q5 @ 220Lm from www.ledKings.com. Overall I like the Fenix better, But I love the momentary on and belt Holster of the Olight. I could live without the momentary on, but that Fenix holster looks useless. Anyone know where I can get a better holster for the fenix? Other than that, what are you opinions between the two lights??

I've been carrying the Fenix P2D in the Fenix holster for over 6 months, and I've never had a problem with the holster. Actually, I've found it very well made.

P.S. If you buy the fenix from fenix-store.com, you can apply the CPF8 coupon, and get 8% off, and you get free shipping.

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
I guess we'll see what happens. I ordered the Fenix through FenixTactical on wensday. Its strange to see how the different sites carry the same light, but with different bulb/led's in them. FenixTactical has a 215 Lm Cree 7090 XR-E LED, and FenixStore has a Lumiled's Rebel Led with 200 Lm. Yet FenixStore has one also with the 7090 XR-E Cree, but with 15 to 20 Lm less than the FenixTactical Version. So I just bought the brighter one.....Can't wait for it to get here...........

scott011422

Newly Enlightened
When you say "Warmer", I'm assuming you mean a lower kalvin number? If so I prefer them very stark whitsh blue............