Leather watch band = funky smell?

Does anyone have advice on a way to deal with the funk that goes along with wearing leather watch bands. With my other nylon/rubber/metal bands I usually use a mild bleach and hot water soak for a while. I am afraid to use that kind of stuff with leather.

thanks,
Jeff

BTW... when you have your hand close to your significant others' face you don't want your arm to smell like butt.

mahoney

Enlightened
Wash/soak the leather in high proof ethanol. Unfortunately the funk will return once you sweat enough on the leather again. To some extent you can prevent funk with pre-emptive applications of leather waterproofing compound. I have found that compounds based on silicone and parafin wax support much less funk than compounds based on beeswax and more natural ingredients. I have had some success treating leather belts this way, but I'd proceed with caution using these compounds against bare skin.
Another option would be to have the leather treated by a sports business offering "ozonation" of sports equipment. This supposedly kills all bacteria, fungi, etc. in the material. I have not been able to try this as there are no facilities offering this in my area, but the process looks promising.

Wash/soak the leather in high proof ethanol. Unfortunately the funk will return once you sweat enough on the leather again. To some extent you can prevent funk with pre-emptive applications of leather waterproofing compound. I have found that compounds based on silicone and parafin wax support much less funk than compounds based on beeswax and more natural ingredients. I have had some success treating leather belts this way, but I'd proceed with caution using these compounds against bare skin.
Another option would be to have the leather treated by a sports business offering "ozonation" of sports equipment. This supposedly kills all bacteria, fungi, etc. in the material. I have not been able to try this as there are no facilities offering this in my area, but the process looks promising.

thanks for the suggestions, I like the weatherproofing idea, I am like terminator when it comes to allergies.