SureFire L1, E1B, Fenix P2D Q2 Beam Shots & LUX!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, my Surefire E1B arrived today. I like it! The UI is simple to use. I took some beam shots, and some LUX readings. I was dissapointed when I did the LUX readings though, my SF L1 Cree out performs the E1B, it has slightly more throw and output! Maybe SF should adjust their ratings, maybe the SF L1 should be rated at 80 lumens as well? Or the E1B should be listed as 65 lumens like the L1, they are both pretty close, the L1 only slightly edges it out, but I was expecting, from SF's marketing and ratings, that the E1B would have more output. Maybe I got a dud E1B? Or maybe SF is being less conservative with the E1B.

Here is a quick pic of the contenders, SF L1, E1B, Fenix P2D (yeah, some GITD stuff installed)

I'll start with LUX readings, then get into beam shots.

Surefire L1 - 3,540 LUX at 1 meter
Surefire E1B - 3,110 LUX at 1 meter
Fenix P2D Q2 - 2,000 LUX at 1 meter

I used fresh Titanium cells for these tests, all voltage matched. The SF batteries included with the L1 and E1B were kinda low, and only read 3,300 for the L1, and 3,000 for the E1B.

So the L1 should throw the best as it has the most intense spot, maybe it's focused better?

The next test was to approximate total output, these #'s are only useful for comparing these 3 lights from this test only. I set up a bounce box, and recorded the lux reading in the box, being careful to put up a baffle around the sensor so any side spill wouldn't hit it, or the area of the box it was reading, etc.

Surefire L1 - 140 LUX
Surefire E1B - 127 LUX
Fenix P2D Q2 - 190 LUX

As you can see the Surefire L1 has slightly more total output, and the Fenix P2D has more than either, about 50% more than the E1B.

So if the E1B is 80 SF lumens, 80 lumens + 50% = 120 lumens. That's about where most people would put the Fenix P2D Q2 for out the front lumens.

The Surefire L1 seems more under rated, when I initially did a bounce ttest with it I felt 65 lumens was under rated, and now it seems that maybe the case, or I got a good L1. :) The Fenix is about 35% brighter than the L1, so 65 lumens + 35 % = 88 lumens, which doesn't sound right. The Fenix P2D Q2 is almost certainly putting out more than 88 lumens.

Maybe Surefire rated the L1 base on average output from start up to the end of it's regulation? Who knows. :)

Well, now for beam shots, ISO 50, f2.8, 1/10sec, WB:Daylight:

Surefire L1 Cree LOW:
IMG_2008.JPG

Surefire E1B LOW:

Fenix P2D Q2 LOW:

Surefire L1 HIGH:

Surefire E1B HIGH:

Fenix P2D Q2 TURBO:

You can see how the SF's create a more intense hot spot, which makes these little lights good throwers. The P2D has a larger hot spot, not as intense, but brighter spill. To better show the spill I took shots to show the spill, these images were taken at 1 second to allow for the spill to be more visible, note the red pillows are visibly brighter with the P2D:

Surefire L1 HIGH:

Surefire E1B HIGH:

Fenix P2D Q2 TURBO:

That should show how the P2D has a larger hot spot, and brighter spill, and that's the Q2 version, I'm still waiting on my P2D Q5, but it should only be slightly brighter.

As far as tints, my L1 is a bit on the green side, the E1B looks a bit purple when compared side by side to the L1. These pics show a tint difference, but not exactly what I see, the E1B looks pretty good in this shot, the L1 a bit cooler:

Back to 1/10 sec:

SF L1 left, SF E1B right, both on HIGH:

SF L1 left, SF E1B right, both on LOW:

Last edited:

Spypro

Enlightened
Re: SF L1, E1B, Fenix P2D Q2 Beam Shots & LUX!

Good job !
I like the "warmer" tint of the E1B.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice shots Wade! Thanks a lot for posting it...

But, I have a doubt:

I have a SF L1 Cree, and I was intending to buy one of this new EB1 for two reasons, basically: it is smaller, and it have a better throw (at least, Surefire said that... 65 lumens in L1 and 80 lumens in Backup).

And now you tell me that they have almost the same power ? And the L1 is a little powerful ?? :thumbsdow

Now what ?

A question... Do your SF L1 Cree is one of those with greenish tint, like mine ?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
A question... Do your SF L1 Cree is one of those with greenish tint, like mine ?

My SF L1 has a greenish tint.

Hopefully more people with a LUX meter will be able to post their findings when comparing a SF L1 and SF E1B. At this point I don't know if I have a bad E1B, an over spec L1, or if this is just the way it is.

When I originally did some tests with the L1 I felt it was over 65 lumens. I think SF was being conservative with the 65 lumens and the L1 may have the same (more or less) output on high that the E1B does. It may come down to the emitter used, they will vary even if they are the same bin.

Chao

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots and the numbers, although I thought the lux reading of E1B should over 4000 lux!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots and the numbers, although I thought the lux reading of E1B should over 4000 lux!

Everyone needs to keep in mind LUX meters vary, sometimes a lot, from meter to meter. You can only make comparisons when the readings were taken from the same meter. I have two lux meters, my other meter from DX reads very low. The meter I use seems to give pretty good results when compared with other CPF'ers lux meters, but some CPF'ers lux meters read higher than mine, some lower.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can finally rest easy that my P1DQ5 has more total output than a E1B
:twothumbs
Crenshaw

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, love my L1 :twothumbs:

but someone in another thread is accusing me of "not admitting" that im wrong about the my P1D-CEQ5 being brighter overall then any surefire single cell light. Its just the die hard "surefire rules, other lights suck" attitude that gets to me....:thumbsdow

Crenshaw

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok fine, let's not kill a great review with silly SF vs Fenix propaganda.

+1 Nice Job. :thumbsup:

LA OZ

Enlightened
This is not what I have read. I have been told the E1B is brighter than the L1 Cree. So I sold the L1 at BST but now you are telling me otherwise :shakehead. By the way, thank you for the beamshots.

Last edited: