ASP Tac-Lite (internal focus) UPC

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ordered an internal focus ASP tac-lite but was shipped a Triad II instead. Could someone who owns a Triad I (internal focus) please post the UPC? Neither I nor the vendor were able to convince the warehouse that they have sent the wrong item (despite the fact that the blister pack says Triad II). They insist that '0-92608-53000-3' is the UPC for an internal focus Triad. I have two Triad II's and they both have this UPC. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
monanza - I had the same problem about a month ago. I ordered one - got an external focus. Ordered another about 3 days later, got an internal focus. Go figure...???

I emailed them and asked what the deal was - never received a response. It seems the packaging is almost identical??? If so, I think ASP underplayed the importance of this change in design. There should have definitely been some sort of mention on the package about what version it is. It seems a lot of dealers have no clue.

Of course, the average consumer (non-CPF memeber - we are all definitely ABOVE AVERAGE here) probably wouldn't care.

Has anyone tried to contact ASP to see what the tell-tale indetifier is for these?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I suggest you contact ASP

ASP (Armament Systems and Procedures, Inc)
Box 1794 Appleton, WI 54913
PHONE: 800-236-6243 Or: 920-735-6242
FAX: 800-236-8601 Or: 920-735-6245

BTW, which vendors were you using?

Brightnorm

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all. I appreciate the help. I ordered from Product Wizard. The item seems to have been drop shipped. Steve at Product Wizard checked on the item before I ordered and was assured that it was internal focus unit. He was kind enough to send UPS back out my way and refund me for the order. I was looking forward to trying out the internal focus model but alas it was not to be.

Cheers.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone give me a quick summary on which is the better model and why? I see that The Product Wizard is selling both the Triad and the Tac-lite with the former being the more expensive model...

Mark

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
OK - I just got off the phone with ASP. The person I spoke with said that there is no way to tell the difference between the internal and external models without actually opening the package and turning the head. She said the UPC, packaging, and everything else is excatly the same. I hereby express a "mini-jeer" to ASP for this move - they should have had some sort of identifier for the model change.

All of these lights should be referred to as a Triad model. The only differences appear to be finish and switch location.

As Mike 161 stated, they apparently stopped making (and shipping according to the person I spoke with) the internal focus version almost a year ago.

If you order from someone who might have some older stock, you MAY get an old internal focus model. Otherwise, it looks like we can pretty much kiss the intenal goodbye.

Good luck to those seeking these lights.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlightlens,

I also got to speak with one of their customer service reps and I got a completely different account.

UPC 53042; price $65 with $9 minimum shipping and handling charge.

I am waiting on ProductWizard to see if he can confirm availability. Perhaps I was misinformed and was wise not take the plunge and buy direct. I may still give ASP a call to buy one if no other vendors come through for me.

Cheers.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
That's about right. It seemed really hard to believe they wouldn't be able to identify the different versions in some way.

All I know is that they use the same lens.

.....or do they.......??????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Whether it is called "TACLITE" or "TRIAD" the different versions of ASP's 2x123 light are so similar that they can hardly be determined by visual inspection. The only relatively recent innovation was the introduction of the tighter focusing so-called "Triad" bulb. It could just as easily been called the "Taclite" bulb and it is distinguished from its cylindrical predecessor by its curved "teardrop" shape.

If the internal focus ASP is really being consigned to the dust heap of flashlight history it will be a shame, because it is truly unique. It has an adjustable, "lockable" internal focusing mechanism, quite ingenious and easy to set. Once set it stays in that focus unless you change it. It is truly a "Focus and forget" design, the only one of its kind.

Because you can achieve an unusually tight focus (which I prefer), the light is remarkably bright, significantly brighter than nearly any other 2 x 123, or even 3x123 light with HOLA. Its only real competition in this regard is the TACM III and PELICAN M6. Even though the focus is tight, the light "splash" from the extreme brightness (at least when the battery is fresh) compensates for the narrowed beam diameter. Of course you can adjust the beam to a larger diameter if you choose.

I do not like the usual style of adjustable focus lights like the Scorpion, because they can inadvertently go out of focus through normal use and during rough or careless handling, or be previously set to a focus which is inappropriate for a sudden current situation. If a light is used tactically or for self defense a predictable beam is essential for quick and accurate deployment.

Beam quality of the Taclite, even if not quite of "Surefire quality" is still excellent, remarkably so for a small unfaceted reflector. The light is water resistant enough to survive strong rain or momentary dunking. It is very solidly constructed of aircraft aluminum with a user friendly foamed vinyl grip. It is easily "locked out" by the slightest counterclockwise turn of the bezel, and has a very smooth, easily accessible but nearly accident proof "clickie" tail cap switch.

It is also one of the most aesthetically appealing small lights. Many people consider it beautiful.

This light is one of my preferred EDC incandescents. (I also carry the E2/MN03 as a fairly bright ultrasmall EDC). My preference for the ASP is in no way a repudiation of other first rate lights out there, especially the Surefires, which are probably the finest and most refined tactical lights in the world. Their beam quality, and that of other faceted reflector lights like the LX Legend and the Streamlight Scorpion are unsurpassed. However, my preference in a 2x123A at this point happens to be for a tightly focused, long throw light. In that respect, the Asp Taclite is IMO one of the three best lights currently produced.

Brightnorm