Surefire and rechargables

Bolek

Enlightened
Do you know why do Surefire do not want us to use standart rechargable batteries in Surfire lights? :confused:It's the main reason I do not (yeat ???) have any Surefire light.

USM0083

Enlightened
Do you know why do Surefire do not want us to use standart rechargable batteries in Surfire lights? :confused:It's the main reason I do not (yeat ???) have any Surefire light.

Something to due with the fact that SF's target customer group requires lights that are absolutely reliable in all conditions. This also includes batteries, and lithium primaries are more reliable in most applications than li-ion rechargeables. The rechargeables that SF does offer have ni-cad batteries, which, for all their limitations, are tolerant of being abused. I carried a 8AX for almost 7 years. It only has a ~40 min runtime and 110 lumen output, but has been absolutely reliable.

robm

Enlightened
Also the standard lamps in most Surefire lights are designed for (multiples of) 3v lithium primaries, and are already driven quite hard - LiIon rechargeables are 3.7v and will blow the lamp.

The P60L (LED rather than incandescent) is an exception, as this is designed for both 2x and 3x lithium cells (6v and 9v) and so is fine on 2x3.7v - e.g. G2 LED with 2 rechargeable RCR123 cells.

Bolek

Enlightened
Also the standard lamps in most Surefire lights are designed for (multiples of) 3v lithium primaries, and are already driven quite hard - LiIon rechargeables are 3.7v and will blow the lamp.

The P60L (LED rather than incandescent) is an exception, as this is designed for both 2x and 3x lithium cells (6v and 9v) and so is fine on 2x3.7v - e.g. G2 LED with 2 rechargeable RCR123 cells.
But Surefire knows how make regulation to drive LA.