MiniMag with Nichia CS LED direct drive (tutorial + pictures)

Cydonia

Enlightened
So today I got my first MiniMag ever! :twothumbs

I'm going for maximum run time and reliability - so no drivers or drop in modules allowed ;)

Instead of buying a cutdown Super MJ LED (4-die) from the sandwich shoppe ( I'll get one on my next order though!) - I decided to use a regular 5mm Nich CS LED. Now, I really wish I had one of those new 2x brighter Nichia DS LED's…

Now I must acknowledge that people have been putting LED's into MiniMags for 20+ years so there is nothing really new here :nana:

Of course, you don't just plug a 5mm LED into a MiniMag. You have to get out the needle files and enlarge the reflector and file down the LED base flange too.

#1 - File down LED base flange with flat needle file

01.jpg

#2 File off the LED leg tabs smooth

02.jpg

#3 LED now fits right the way down into bulb socket like the incan bulb does. Quite bright too!

03.jpg

04.jpg

#4 Needle file down the reflector. Make the hole plenty big for the LED.

[FONT=&quot]
05.jpg

06.jpg

#5 Clean off the plastic dust with a camera lens air blower bulb

07.jpg

#6 Reflector must fit down over the LED all the way - without any resistance.

08.jpg

#7 LED fits perfectly - full focus and normal shut off is retained.

09.jpg

I'm not going to worry about the Nichia CS receiving too much current, so no resistor. Well, here is the end result, a MiniMag running 2 alkalines, with a Nich CS LED in place of the stock bulb. All I've got to compare it too is a Inova X1 Version 1.0 (tight spot with coated glass lens) and 2.0.

Here is a GIF animation I made showing the fully retained focus ability. A good tight spot is possible as you can see. Can't wait to try out the 2x brighter Nichia DS and see how good a simple 5mm LED upgrade can get.

An Inova X1 v.1.0 is shown for comparison on the left.

MiniMag-NichiaCS-Focus-Animation%28InovaX1_V1.0%29.gif

Another animation showing an Inova X1 v.2.0 for comparison.

MiniMag-NichiaCS-Focus-Animation%28InovaX1_V2.0%29.gif

[/FONT]

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I've done this exact mod with a red LED in a 2xAAA Minimag. Great for around the house at night.

:popcorn:

That reminds me... I accidentally found a Vancouver source for the 2AAA MiniMags... here at Mountain Equipment Co Op. Only $10.50 too... think I'll be getting one ;) Anyway, I'll try some of my Ultra bright red's in my 2AA mod later...

gunga

Flashaholic
I havea pewter one I got at MEC a few months ago (to go with my Terralux TLE-10).

Not using it much so PM me if you want to trade something...

Marduke

Flashaholic
Also, if you don't have the patience (or small enough fingers) to file off the rim on the LED, a small pair of wire snips will take it off, and actually leave the bottom a little narrower. Takes about 6 rough cuts, and a few finer ones to get all the corners. Couple passes with the file will take off any remaining sharp edges if there are any.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, really nice tutorial + pictures.

So how do you think it compares to a std minimag?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Thanks, really nice tutorial + pictures.

So how do you think it compares to a std minimag?

It compares surprisingly well. I just keep thinking how much better it would be using a DS LED. I'll be sending for a few of the voltage boosted SMJLED's from the shoppe asap. That is a far far far superior upgrade to a CS or DS led in a minimag. I'll do another gif animation with the SMJLED too by the way.

I just wanted to create a fresh new mini tutorial for new users to see... how you can get some long lasting light from a minimag for a $1.50 LED and what it looks like. Kinda pointless I know :rolleyes: