Forward clicky + multi-mode EDC at 150+lm?

pbs357

Enlightened
Hi all, looking for a new EDC. My ideal multi-mode today is my mcC2s 2 stage tailcap mod for my SF 6P... no digital, all mechanical! Digital doesn't scare me but I really would like a single cell, Q5 emitter multi-mode light that is a BLASTER on high, multi-modes that are tailswitch activated, AND forward clicky. Something like a Fenix P2D Q5 with forward click?

Are there any other options aside from the SF L1 and E1B? I just don't think those are bright enough on high... (Current EDC is an E1L body, Z57 tailcap, with Dereelight Q5 1SM module thanks to an E to C adapter and a G2Z bezel). Love the output but no multi-mode.

I like having the simplicity of one switch controlling on/off and modes. Most of my light uses are for momentary light which is why I need forward click, but obviously 150+ lumens isn't always appropriate - or so they keep telling me lol :whistle:

Any other options out there?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with my EDC in the picture, it SHOULD be torching somewhere close to 150 depending on who you ask,but at very least, 180 at emitter.I can telll you its very bright. Its a P1D-CEQ5 with Leef Body and McClicky, you can get both from lighthound, or you can get the P1D-CEQ5 from fenixstore (dont forget your CPF8) and the Body from lighthound, last i checked they had 8 in stock. I like it so much, i have two leef bodies..you should note however, that you cant start in low, it starts in its second highest mode..(high, highest mode is turbo) But it is essentially a P2D with a foward clicky

However, if you want the ability to momentary on, and off, then on in the same mode, youll have to go for either the Novatac 120p or Nitecore Defender Infitnity. Mind you, 120 and 130 torch lumens manufacturor claimed, is pretty damn bright already.And with these lights you have the ability to program your own modes.

The hotspot on my L1 holds its own against the hotspot on my EDC,*but* the L1 has almost no spill beam, while the P1D has loads. Depending on your needs, this might be an advantage, or disadvantage.

good luck finding what you need...:)

Crenshaw

Last edited:

mike2g

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind a little modding, this is a relatively simple project. Cheap, simple, and uses a single AA. Another member mentioned putting in a Q5 star instead of a SSC emitter if you'd prefer the Cree. For the price you can get multiple ones in case you lose it.

pbs357

Enlightened
Go with my EDC in the picture, it SHOULD be torching somewhere close to 150 depending on who you ask,but at very least, 180 at emitter.I can telll you its very bright. Its a P1D-CEQ5 with Leef Body and McClicky, you can get both from lighthound, or you can get the P1D-CEQ5 from fenixstore (dont forget your CPF8) and the Body from lighthound, last i checked they had 8 in stock. I like it so much, i have two leef bodies..you should note however, that you cant start in low, it starts in its second highest mode..(high, highest mode is turbo) But it is essentially a P2D with a foward clicky

However, if you want the ability to momentary on, and off, then on in the same mode, youll have to go for either the Novatac 120p or Nitecore Defender Infitnity. Mind you, 120 and 130 torch lumens manufacturor claimed, is pretty damn bright already.And with these lights you have the ability to program your own modes.

The hotspot on my L1 holds its own against the hotspot on my EDC,*but* the L1 has almost no spill beam, while the P1D has loads. Depending on your needs, this might be an advantage, or disadvantage.

good luck finding what you need...:)

Crenshaw

Wow! What a cool setup! You got me thinking... if I got a P2D, could I do the same setup as you, but be able to have momentary Turbo on the first press, if the bezel is in Turbo mode?

crocodilo

Enlightened

Crenshaw

Same here, and it is FANTASTIC. Disagree however with the comparison with the P2D, due to the different UI.

The P1DQ5+Leef is a simple, straightforward light with a forward clicky, and in use it acts as if it has hidden modes: i never get to cycle through those last strobe and SOS modes. The body puts its length at a very confortable dimension, retaining the small width of the light, giving you a tailstand/impact bezel.

No need for a Surefire, when this combo can outperform them at a smaller size and price. As for reliability and durability, while SF may get higher marks, I believe this light can handle more than adequately whatever goes on in my life for the next years (really hope that in 10-15 years all the lights we have now are completely outdated).

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, how about the WE Sniper with the new 3.7V - 6V D26 HO Q5 multi-level 260 lumens lamp and the forward clicky. Always starts on high and works its way down to low and then the strobe. I run mine on a single 18650 cell for very good run time.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, and it is FANTASTIC. Disagree however with the comparison with the P2D, due to the different UI.

The P1DQ5+Leef is a simple, straightforward light with a forward clicky, and in use it acts as if it has hidden modes: i never get to cycle through those last strobe and SOS modes. The body puts its length at a very confortable dimension, retaining the small width of the light, giving you a tailstand/impact bezel.

No need for a Surefire, when this combo can outperform them at a smaller size and price. As for reliability and durability, while SF may get higher marks, I believe this light can handle more than adequately whatever goes on in my life for the next years (really hope that in 10-15 years all the lights we have now are completely outdated).

Didnt know about the diff UI :ohgeez: but yes it is my favourite light at the moment, although my past few days have been dedicated to playing with my new L1. I think ill be sending my L1 to milky.:devil:

the best part is, sigmans 16mm glo-ring fits perfectly.

Everything crocodilo said is true :)

you cant put P2D head on the Leed body becaue the body of the P2D screws into the head, while the head of the P1D screws into the body, if that makes any sense...:thinking:

i wonder, does this light have some kind of underground cpf cult following?
hmmmmm

Crenshaw

Last edited:

pbs357

Enlightened
Crenshaw and Crocodilo (and anyone else using this setup!), can you use rcr123's or will that eliminate the multi-modes on the P1D head? Or worse, will it fry the head??? Really starting to like your setups...:thumbsup:

crocodilo

Enlightened
Crenshaw and Crocodilo (and anyone else using this setup!), can you use rcr123's or will that eliminate the multi-modes on the P1D head? Or worse, will it fry the head??? Really starting to like your setups...:thumbsup:

No fry, and you get a slightly different set of modes: high, high and high. Strobe might still work, though... That is, if using protected rechargeables at 3,7V. If you go with standard rechargeables at 3,0V, everything will work as normal, but runtimes will be lowered.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i personally dont trust Rechargable Batteries in any form. Just a personal thing, lol, dont want the hassle of making sure they charge properly, etc, plus CR123As last 2.8 hours on primary,manufatruror rated, so primaries last long enough anyway..:)

Crenshaw