Question for Massachusetts residents concerning RMV?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there's quite a few of us here now and I have a question concerning the MA registry of motor vehicles. Have any of you visited fairly recently to renew your driver's license? If so can you recall the details of the eye exam? The last time I was there ten years ago, I merely had to read one line of text but I believe it is more complex now. As I have slightly compromised vision, I'd like some idea what I'm up against. Five years ago I renewed online to avoid the hassle but you can only do that every other renewal.

P.S. If nobody from MA has, are there any local Boston or MA forums where I might get exposure to more MA residents to pose this question?

Shreklight

Newly Enlightened
I went to the RMV to register a car this year and the woman in front of me was renewing her license, all she did was lean down and look into the vision test machine and read back one line of letters. Try Masslive.com it is a local news/gossip forum.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Shreklight. I'll have to investigate this further and try to get a definitive answer. I actually had my eye doctor fill out a Vision Screening Certificate that can be used in lieu of the eye test but if it's still just a matter of reading one line which I believe is a 20/40 line, I believe I can still do that and would rather do so then raise any questions.

WNG

Enlightened
I just had mine renewed. 1 hr. wait when 22 min. is claimed time.
The eye examine is reading one line, a color test, and peripheral vision test.
Color being the equivalent of traffic light colors with numbers.
Peripheral vision test is series of flashing sequences you must detect.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
WNG, how difficult were the colors to detect? Example if you've ever taken a color blind test at an eye doctor's office or elsewhere, sometimes the numbers are just a slight shade different, mixed in with other colors and I miss a few of them. Is this much the same way or are the colors really blatantly different compared to the background and very easy to detect? Maybe if you're not slightly color blind like I am, they all are blatantly easy to detect. I certainly can tell the different colors of the traffic signal but like I said sometimes color detection is tricky when they mix in a different background.

Either way I'm glad I got the VSC form filled out.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to sound rude, but either you'll pass the test and shouldn't be worrying about this, or you won't pass, in which case maybe you shouldn't be driving...? Regardless, good luck.

WNG

Enlightened
I guess to me, it was blatantly obvious.
But I can't speak for you. assume the 3D slides they use will be slightly random, so that you can't remember the order of things.
If you can discern the colors of traffic lights, then I think you'll pass.
Tests were conducted with white and black backgrounds.
As another had posted, if you pass, you deserve to be on the road. Otherwise, you don't.