Deree Vs. Tiablo

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of these seem to be the throw king lights

Deree has an R2 available for a few dollars more. If I'm going to purchase a throw monster I may as well get the newest emitter.

I'm interested in experienced comparisons of the DBS Vs. the Tiablo A series.

Deree has the ability to run either CR123 or 168A and evidently so does the Tiablo A8S.

In this application run time is NOT a concern. Shear output is.
I want to get a throw king to mount on my carbine. Forward clickie is important. Single mode (high) is what I want. who has the higher quality light, construction, emitter, tint, etc?

Just for grins I'll end up with both reflectors for each. OP reflector for training, SM reflector for real applications.

Wattnot

Enlightened
I've been following these lights. There are a couple of recent threads that talk about exactly what you're looking to know. From what I've gathered, the DBS out-throws the Tiablo by a comfortable margin and build quality is fine. The Tiablo might have the edge in fit and finish and overall build quality, but the DBS should easily "pass" your construction requirements.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS has a few different pills you can go with; http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm. The Digital pills have a input voltage of 2.7-4.2v(1 18650 or 17670). They also have a 1SM-1(max input 6.0v) and a 1SM-2(input max of 16.0v). Tiablo has the A8 (max input of 6.0- 18650,17670, or 2 CR123s) and an A9(input voltage to 10.0v). The A8(optimized for 18650) and A9(optimized for CR123s and RCR123s) are basically the same, except they use different drivers and the A8 tail cap sticks out(A9 will tail stand). They are ~ the same size(A8 or A9 vs DBS V2). The DBS is heavier, but Tiablo uses a higher grade of Aluminum. Both are fine lights. The DBS will throw farther, but have a smaller more intense hot spot. The DBS is very upgradeable, Dereelight releases new pills regularly. My DBS has higher lux readings than my A9 and higher overall output readings because the DBS digital pills are driven harder ~1.2a vs ~1a(possible shorter runtime) and R2 vs Q5 for Tiablo. At last report Dereelight is sold out of R2s.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm leaning towards the Deree and getting DBS as a carbine mounted light and the CL1H as a belt light.

Both have removable clips so they are fairly versatile, especially with both reflectors

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and was looking to put one on my M4gery. I have a Q5 Tiablo and an R2 DBS, very close in output but the DBS does beat it slightly in lux. The tint is a lot better IMO on the R2, but the DBS is significantly heavier. Being that the Tiablo is so close in output and lux, I decided to mount that one on the gun because the weight difference is very noticable. As an added bonus the Tiablo looks more "tacticool" than the DBS.

Coming from someone that was just in your position, get the Tiablo :) Everyone will tell you how much more lux the DBS has blah, blah, blah. In real life outside, it's hard to notice the difference in output. The only thing you easily notice is the tint difference. ALthough the DBS is a incy-bit brighter, the Tiablo is still a BEAST on my M4. I can spot targets out to 150-200m away :D

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS has a few different pills you can go with; http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm. The Digital pills have a input voltage of 2.7-4.2v(1 18650 or 17670). They also have a 1SM-1(max input 6.0v) and a 1SM-2(input max of 16.0v). Tiablo has the A8 (max input of 6.0- 18650,17670, or 2 CR123s) and an A9(input voltage to 10.0v). The A8(optimized for 18650) and A9(optimized for CR123s and RCR123s) are basically the same, except they use different drivers and the A8 tail cap sticks out(A9 will tail stand). They are ~ the same size(A8 or A9 vs DBS V2). The DBS is heavier, but Tiablo uses a higher grade of Aluminum. Both are fine lights. The DBS will throw farther, but have a smaller more intense hot spot. The DBS is very upgradeable, Dereelight releases new pills regularly. My DBS has higher lux readings than my A9 and higher overall output readings because the DBS digital pills are driven harder ~1.2a vs ~1a(possible shorter runtime) and R2 vs Q5 for Tiablo. At last report Dereelight is sold out of R2s.

They still list it as an upgrade on the web site

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where is the best place to purchase a Tiablo. As a Carbine light I'll probably stick with CR123's as most of the time it's going to sit in a bag in the patrol car trunk.

Thing is based on the descriptions, Tiablo may not have what I want. I don't need a light that will tale stand.

I know, I know, get them all :huh:

But the budget will only allow two lights at this time and I'm leaning towards the CL1H also as a belt mounted duty light

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you get the Tiablo A9, not the A8. The A9 is optimized to run on CR123 batteries, so you will get the best performace with that combo. Tiablo also makes a forward clicky that would resolve your tailcap issue :)

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, last question.
The TIABLO seems to be a multi mode light with high and low settings.

PTS lists the clickie as LOW-High-OFF

I think other have it as HIGH-LOW-OFF

Is the TIABLO available as a single output light?? On a Carbine I'll have neither the time or inclination to go through modes. Otherwise it's going to have to be a single stage thrower.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Tiablos it all comes down to what battery you want to use. Get the A8 if you will be using an 18650. The A8 can also run on CR123s but you have to run it on low for a couple of minutes to bleed off some voltage(max input 6.0v). The A9 gives flat output with RCR123s or CR123, but diminishing brightness with an 18650. A8 for 18650. A9 for CR123s or RCR123s. Edit: It's low, high, off. You can get a 1 stage forward clicky as an accessory.

Last edited: