CMG Ultra and Tadiran 3.6v Lithium AA

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I got a CMG Ultra today from Countycomm( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif )
I put the standard Duracell AA in...Yawn
Then I tried a Tadiran 3.6v Lithium...Yowza!
I only left it on a few seconds. I thought I might get some input as to whether this is a good idea or not. I have plenty of the batteries to "borrow" from work, but dont want to damage the Mighty Ultra.
Input is most welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3.6V Lithium AA's drive a single unregulated and unresisted LED nicely. One of Tectite's first LED lights was precicely this. I don't know what the step-up circuitry of the Ultra will do, however.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Saft Lithium 3.6v AA LS14500's in my Ultra recently. I like it. Very lightweight and probably holds more total energy than the Energizer L91 Lithium AA.

I, like other people, don't really notice a difference in output in fresh batteries in the Ultra since its regulated. But over the course of a battery's life, the Saft should be better than most. I'd imagine that a Saft AA in a regular Infinity would have an incredible run time.

I figure that at the voltage that the Tadiran/Saft is putting out, the regulator should be bypassed for a long time, saving you the energy that is lost to the switcher.

Mark

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hadn't even thought about putting the one 3.6v AA in my regular Infinity.

Now, which CPF member was it that sells them for cheap??

AlphaTea

Enlightened
I use them in some radiation detection equipment at work. I usually buy them from Newark.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif You can get them from most Electronics suppy places. Prices range from about $7 to $10 each, depending on how many and who you get them from.

radellaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's regulated, eh?

V I(ma)
1.5 230
1.4 220
1.3 210
1.2 200
1.1 190
1.0 180
0.9 140
0.85 60
0.8 000
So at 1.5 that's 345mW or 3.8V @ 90mA (@100% eff)
A regular infinity draws 40-50mA (1.5V) with black dot and 90mA without.

Boosted, yes, regulated, not very. Probably the high internal resistance of that 3.6V lithium is what keeps it from destroying something. It is a Lithium Thionyl Chloride cell, right?

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
bgenlvtx,

R-Shack has Tadiran TL2100/S (stock# 23-037) in store for $9.99 each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I'm sure that they could be found for less elsewhere, but these should allow you to do some experimenting without having to wait for an online purchase to be delivered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
AlphaTea: would your radation detection equipment be M-G electronic dosimeters?

AlphaTea

Enlightened
Nah, we use Rados Rad-51's for dosimeters (uses AAA bats).
The 3.6v Lithiums are used in the detector end of Xetex 330a Telescans. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif