My first flashlight! Need help:)

super

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

Iam new on this forum.

First, i want to excuse for my english, i hope everybody will undestand my words:).

So, i want to buy a flashlight for me! I really prefer a Surefire. I live in germany and the SR flashlight like the 6P LED cost 99 euro here (~145 USD). SF has a great opinion so i want to buy some of americas quality.

I want a small torch.. it should be usefull for hiking (night) and give me a bright light for some hours!

It should have two Preferences.. like one for example just for changing a tire in a car and like i mentioned before.. for hiking.

I thought about some modells:

The E1B Backup
E1L
6p LED (11 hours 80 lumens..) DO u really get full 11 hours of power with 80 lumens??

The question for me is.. how many meters is 5 lumens? Or what means 5 lumens in which situation? Cause i also like the E1E although it has only 15 lumens!?

PLease help, iam a total newbie... i will decide on your feedback:)
Give me your personal opinions plz!

Thank you

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, super. Your English is fine. Much better than my Deutsch. Surefire's are very good lights. I can highly recommend the L1. It has two levels of brightness and is rated very conservatively. You should also look at the Fenix lights. The L2Dce will give a long runtime and has 4 levels, strobe, SOS, and runs on cheaper AA batteries. It's not as tough as Surefires, but is about half the price. If you want a small AAA light the Fenix L0Dce may still be the best.

Have fun picking your new light(s).

Geoff

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lumens is a measure of total light output. It does not equate to meters in any way.

For the 6PL, there is a runtime graph here, and it shows that you get close to 80 lumens for 3 hours, then it gradually decreases until it dies around 11-12 hours.

If you are after the smaller size, check out the E1L or E1B. If you want the easy upgradability, go for the 6PL.

schiesz

Lightguy27

Enlightened
Well out of your three models you are trying to decide between I would reccommend the E1B. It has two modes, 80 lumens and 5 lumens. On high the 80 lumens are plenty of light for hiking aswell as changing a tire. On low, the 5 lumens of light are plenty bright to navigate through the house at night. It also only requires one battery to be just as bright as the 6PL and since it can't run on rechargeables this is a great factor. Good luck and :welcome:.

-Evan

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Well, a normal 2D light is about 15 lumen. With the right mods, it can top 1000 lumen without problem. Also, lumen is only a measurement of total output. It won't tell you how far a light would project.

Don't limit yourself to one company(though Surefire is a great company), there are many other companies out there that also provide great products. It might also be cheaper to buy overseas and have the light shipped to you.

It seems that you would like a smaller light(1 AA or 1 CR123 powered) that has multi-mode and can take a bit of abuse. Maybe the Fenix P2D-CE Q5 would be a good choice, or maybe the Powerpack would also work (8% off coupon at Fenix Store is "CPF8"). The Surefires can probably handle more abuse and are simpler mode wise but they are also more expensive.

What's your price range?
Output?
Size?

:welcome:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're considering the 6PL, you may should also look at the G2L, the same light with a Nitrolon body. I prefer it over the 6P and it's one of my favorite lights. It is also less expensive than the 6P.

super

Newly Enlightened
wow, thanks for the fast answers!

I forgot sorry, my price limit would be around 120 USD. I want to buy @ ebay.com because of the EUR <> USD difference i can save much money! I hope its save to buy at ebay?

The FENIX T1 looks cool. But how is it possible that it runs CONSTANT with 60 lumens and 10 hours and a SF P6LED only 3 hours?

I am not a fanboy cause iam a newbie, its just because SF is known as the elite in my country:p, didnt hear so much about Fenix.

Size should be around 15cm. (max)

Right now i prefer the 6PL for around ~90USD shipping included to germany.
The E1B is new right? cant find it on ebay? You may have a good offer in the web for me? :)

super

Newly Enlightened
Wow i just watched some youtube vis and the recommented FENIX L1D is incredible!

Small size & great prize!

It was a mistake to watch @ fenix.. now i cant decide :D

The P1D looks also great!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How?

Well, output out the front is lower then 60 lumen, about 45 lumen out the front. The LED is also a bit more efficient then the Seoul P4 in the 6PL and Fenix is also known for their efficient drivers. Runtime is actually longer then 10 hours if you use decent primary batteries.

The E1B is a newer light. I'm not sure where you would buy one on a German website.

Fenix Store includes shipping in their price, so the price you see is the total price you pay.

ntalbot

Enlightened
Super,

When you hike, how many hours maximum do you hike for?
Do you want a wide spot that lights up a lot of the trail from side-to-side, or do you want more of a spotlight with a very focused beam so you can illuminate an object that is very far away?

A lot of people like headlamps when they hike to keep their hands free. Are you sure you want a hand torch?

Nick