looking for a red led light

craigberesh

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a red led to preserve night vision. I need something small and waterproof. I wanted a Arc AAA red but the auction went higher the I can spend. Any thoughts? I also would prefer aaa sized I dont like the little round battery.

Last edited:

Penguin

Enlightened
The Arc AAA red's seem to command a higher price than the other colors he's offering, this is a good indicator of market demand for an AAA in red... I'm willing to bet Peter will be churning out Arc AAA's in red sometime in the near future, so wait a bit and keep on top of the Arc forum.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Check out Peak LED lights. Several of them run on AA or AAA and come in red LED versions. Make sure you CALL them to see what is available....they don't have all their stuff listed on their website.

I went through this same situation about 6 months ago. I was looking for Red LED options. I got a Peak LED McKinley (very bright) and a Kilmanjaro (dimmer and much better for night vision preservation). I also had Milkyspit mod an HDS EDC with a red/orange Luxeon LED (very bright on highest setting and perfect for night vision on lowest setting). Finally I got a LED dropin for one of my Maglite AA. For you I'd recommend either the Maglite dropin (I beleive it was a Niteize) or the Peak Kilmanjaro.

OceanView

Enlightened
This is a 1xAA light, but I recently got two Gerber Infinities in red for $10 each from edcdepot.com. Sale is still on.

loving light

Newly Enlightened
Hi check out the Good Deals section in the market place,Smokey Mountain Knife Works has the red gerber infinities for $4.99 and if your order goes over $10 dollars free shipping.It is an AA light but for the price you could get 2,and a gerber sonic $3.99 and just wait till a good deal comes around for the light you are really looking for,just trying to help.

scottaw

Enlightened
Definately grab the gerber infinity from the sale, great light for the price. Also the inova X5 is great if you're going to want to use 123A's.

I've tried plenty of red lights, actually started a thread just like this months ago.

Stay away from the expensive red led's i have a surefire L1 Red, it's just too bright and waaaay too much for the job. If you want red you want dim, so something cheap and simple is perfect. I'm probably going to sell 4 red lights soon b/c i like the simplest one the best.

Last edited:

Saiga

Enlightened
I was going to recommend the Gerber infinity ultra, also, then i saw the sale on them at EDCdepot, so i bolted on over quickly ordered TWO, another for me,and one for my brother ! Thanks for the heads-up,OceanView !!
By the way, it was their uber-reasonable shipping that closed the deal, had they been @$$holes and charged $11 or something, i'd have bailed, but $4.99 ??? I'll keep an eye on those guys !

Latest posts