Brightest 4AA Flashlight?

Ben H

Enlightened
I'm looking for the brightest 4AA flashlight with the tightest beam. This will light be used at work and run time is not important. I checked out BrightGuy.com and here are the lights he has:
UK 4AA
Streamlight 4AA Propolymer
PT Tec 40
Pelican Steathlite
Koehler-Bright Star/LSI 4AA

I presently have none of these lights for comparison.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Tec40, but IIRC, you will need the non-textured (smooth) reflector to achieve the tightest beam. I don't know what the availability of these reflectors are - some come with them, some don't. Call ahead to the dealer to see what they have before ordering.

I'm afraid I have none of the others for comparison, but the Tec40 is pretty brights for a AA light. About the same as a Surefire E2 (comparison with a Tec 40 with the textured reflector).

freewheelin'

Enlightened
Illuminated said "One fav is a Big Lots $2.49 un-modified Rayovac 4AA with the new Mag 3-cell Xenon and NiMH's. No WriteRight, nuthin' - and it throws a mean and almost perfect spot nearly as far as the Tiger. Spot's just not as big and not much spill but impressive at 250' or so." I'm going to try this first chance I get, 250 feet from a 4 a is a dream come true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the following 4AA incandescent lights: PT Tec40, Energizer Arc White, Rayovac 4AA Sportsman, Pel Stealth Lite (Browning version...same light). With the exception of the Stealth Lite, all the others are overdriving a 3 cell krypton bulb. I tried overdriving xenon bulbs in them, but xenon doesn't "like" being overdriven nearly as much, and you normally get VERY short bulb life. Out of all 4 of my 4AA lights, the Rayovac has the tightest*, brightest, longest throwing beam...and I'm running the smooth reflector in the Tec40. The Tec40 and Arc White are next, and are relatively close in tightness and throw. *The StealthLite has the tightest beam of the four, but is nowhere near as bright as the other three, even when using lithium batteries. IMO, out of my meager assortment of 4AA lights, the Sportsman wins. Nice light for $2.97 at WallyWorld!

PJD

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only own the SL 4AA Xenon of the group. I have an Ultrastinger, 6P, 9P, 3C SL Xenon, 4AA LED, and a bunch of others.

The 4AA SL Xenon is the one I pick up when I want 6P brightness, similiar beam quality, but much more economical light. Small, pocketable. I am buying several more.

I feel the similiar 4AA's will perform the same.

I am however, after being here only a few months, absolutely startled at the difference the reflector quality makes.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I own TEC 40, UK 4AA AS2, Pelican StealthLite 4AA, 3 different 4AA (all like Rayovac at Big Lots - one is Sears Craftsman with battery life indicator), Rayovac Sportsman 4AA... I THINK that's all in that category!

StealthLite is the one I think is tightest of my stuff. Second place UK 4AA. Both are so tight I don't use them much.

TEC 40... what can I say? Mine is faceted. Runs on 4 Rayovac Maximum AAs, and a KPR103 Krypton 3.6v bulb from Walmart. Is nearly insanely bright, and also throws a nicely dispersed beam. It lit up a roughly 150x75 foot building around 200 feet away one night well enough that my buddy said WOW. And he is NOT easily impressed!

The Rayovac Sportsman took a lot of different bulbs to find a good one. Runs whatever batteries it came with and a KPR103. Also has Writeright on the lense. Pretty darn bright for CHEAP! I have heard the switch is unreliable but haven't had a problem.

The other 4AA stuff is pretty good, but I writeright almost everything that doesn't have a faceted reflector - looking for smooth over throw.

Bottom line. For what you want try the Pelican StealthLite.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Koehler-Brightstar 4AA is the brightest, tightest beamed light I own (and I have several of the ones you mentioned) as long as I use it with 4 NIMH AA rechargeables and pop in a PR-based 3C/D cell Krypton bulb (KPR103??) that is overdriven. This is a great, economical light and would be very very hard to beat for the criteria you mention.

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Which UK 4aa? There are two different ones. There is the 4aa dive light, and there is also a 4aa class 1 div2 certified light for hazardous locations.

I own the latter and use it with my ambulance work. It very good throw. It can suposadly survive a 6 foot drop with no ill effects (I'm not going to test that one). Waterproof to 10 feet (again I'm not testing mine if I don't have to) And it's damn bright. The box claims 38 lumens from a 2.1 watt xenon bulb with a run time of 4 hours. The beam is quite tight. Very usable at 70+ feet.

Just about every fire department in the area here has them bolted to their helmets, so it's a quality light I assure you.

I havn't tested it with rechargables. I use alky's in my work light.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ben, what will you be using the light for? what type of beam/form factor/switch/batteries do you like? do you need maximum throw? this may help us to help you decide.

i must say that i own 3 tec40s, due to them being inexpensive, pretty darn bright, small, light, waterproof, tough, ability to use lithiums, simple PR bulbs, good runtime, etc.

Bob

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Approaching esoteric. (Normal flashaholism?) I'd ask Dspeck to make me a 4AA E2 barrel. Add a McGizmo E2C. Then a Sure Fire T1. I bet that 4AA would throw farther than any other. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Of the 4AA lights I've owned, I'd say the Pelican Stealthlite approaches what you're asking for.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
I have a Energizer Arc White, and a UK 4AA (non-dive-version). Of the two, the UK is brighter and has a slightly tigher, and much rounder beam. The Arc is no slouch, though, it's pretty bright.

My next brighter light is a Legend LX, when it works, and a UK SL6. The SL6 is more like a handheld searchlight, great for outdoors but a bit narrow for inside. The 4AA has a somewhat wider beam, and seems to have more spill compared to the hotspot, so it's very usable indoors.

For close range stuff, though, it's hard to beat the Streamlight 4AA LED. It has to be one of the broadest, most even, whitest 4AA lights there is.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
FreeBSDboy said:.......4aa class 1 div2 certified light for hazardous locations.
The box claims 38 lumens from a 2.1 watt xenon bulb with a run time of 4 hours.......
Just about every fire department in the area here has them bolted to their helmets, so it's a quality light I assure you.

[/ QUOTE ]

FreeBSDboy,

Both UKs's are excellent and have become my favorite 4xAA lights after extensive testing of other brands. I don't know when you got your 4AA but they (only the "4AA", not the Mini Q40 which is the dive version) now come with what is perhaps the best designed clickie in the business.

Based on my tests with alkalines and lithiums I would say that you can count on good solid light for about three hours with alkalines, with more noticeably diminishing light beyond that. For your work I would not take that 4 hour claim seriously. Lithiums make a major difference and will stretch runtime to about 5 hours, of which approx 3.75-4hrs are excellent tapering to good brightness, with the remaining time becoming noticeably dimmer.

Brightnorm

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
EMS is actually more of a hobby for me. I voulenteer my time. I'm not concerned about 3 hours vs 5 hours runtime, I use the Alky's as opposed to my NiMH's because the NiMH's self discharge a bit too quickly. I sometimes go a month or two without having a need to use it. And I'd rather not have to worry about how fresh the batteries are when I happen to be in a situation when I do need it.

Albany Tom: Now that you mentioned it, I thought about getting a streamlight 4aa LED light. How much light do they put out? What kind of throw do you get? I know it won't come near my UK 4aa for bright or throw, but I wouldn't expect it to.

Ben H

Enlightened
The specific application for this light is to brightly illuminate air gun oilers that are about 30 feet off the floor. I don't care about spill light and the oilers are about 8 inches in diameter and 4 inches thick, thus the tight beam requirement. The oilers are supposed to be filled on a regular basis but don't seem to be. I want the light to help see if oilers are empty.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sorridsky said:
how does a Surge compare to an overdriven Tec 40?

[/ QUOTE ]

A Surge blows away an overdriven ANYTHING that's 4AA, Tec40 included!

PJD

FreeBSDboy

Newly Enlightened
Well, yeah, the Surge is also an 8AA light and about twice the size. That's not a fair comparison.

I would reccomend the UK 4AA. If you drop it, it won't break. It should be more than bright enough for what you are going to do with it. And it has a lifetime warrenty.