Running P60L in all-Nitrolon G2

candlelight001

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone running their P60L in an all Nitrolon G2, ie not with the aluminum head? I like this setup for the longer runtime, light weight, and aesthetics. And since most of my use is for 10 min or less, I feel like I'm getting max brightness most of the time. Wondering what anyone else who's doing this is thinking about the heat and LED longevity. I've read some older threads on it but am wondering what folks' latest thinking is. Thanks!

Penguin

Enlightened
Before they started offering the G2L with aluminum heads, SF sold several G2L's with the nitrolon heads. I myself use it with the nitrolon head and haven't experienced anything bad, just onset of the temp/current regulation. Shouldn't have any detrimental effects!

zven

Enlightened
My G2L came with the Nitrolon head as well, and I've had no problems with it, nor do I expect I will for a long time to come (unless I make some disastrous mistake of my own responsibility, of course). I've considered asking SF for an aluminum head, but I figure that even if anything did happen to the emitter (shortened longevity) the warranty would very likely replace it with no problem.

Also, I've tried the P60L module in my G3 and C2, and see no difference in output no matter what the host. I mean, this could be just because I can't compare them simultaneously, but I still really don't think the aluminum head/body (C2) has given the additional 15 or so lumens that it supposedly should.

In the end, the G2 is my favorite host for the P60L... There's just something about that Nitrolon, I guess...

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitrolon head here! My G2L is a car backup light but no problem with the use I had of it yet. I personnally find the aluminium/nitrolon mix ugly, I prefer way more my nitrolon head even with the diminished brightness.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Also, I've tried the P60L module in my G3 and C2, and see no difference in output no matter what the host. I mean, this could be just because I can't compare them simultaneously, but I still really don't think the aluminum head/body (C2) has given the additional 15 or so lumens that it supposedly should.
What SureFire doesn't say on the Website is that in the G2, the P60L runs for 1.5 hours at full brightness, as opposed to 5.8 in the G3. That's straight from customer service.

In the end, the G2 is my favorite host for the P60L... There's just something about that Nitrolon, I guess...
My favorite host for the P60L is a G3 with Defender bezel and metal clickie tailcap (I Frankenstein'd it with parts from a 6PD).

const451

Newly Enlightened
I like Nitrolon a lot too!! I do not have this set up yet but I am going to: I want to have all Nitrolon body with P60L. The aluminum head does look ugly on Nitrolon body. Here is the link to run time graph, I believe the G2 in the test was all Nitrolon.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/176621

zven

Enlightened
What SureFire doesn't say on the Website is that in the G2, the P60L runs for 1.5 hours at full brightness, as opposed to 5.8 in the G3. That's straight from customer service.

Really? 1.5 hours? Not 3.5? Visually, my P60L in the all Nitrolon G2 host has the same overall brightness as my L1 (rated at 65 lumens), which matches up with tests that others (Chevrofreek, for example) have gotten. And it stays at that brightness for about 3.5 or 4 hours. I get about the same output from putting the module in my G3, though I must assume that that level of brightness will last for longer (of course). I guess one of these days I'll have to do a runtime test with the module in my G3 to see if that 5.8 really pans out.

My favorite host for the P60L is a G3 with Defender bezel and metal clickie tailcap (I Frankenstein'd it with parts from a 6PD).
I must admit, that does sound like a pretty sweet setup. The crenelated bezel definitely appeals to me, as does the clicky, though since those are aluminum, I'd probably put them on a 9P body myself (if I had a 9P, that is). Somehow the non-matching parts just doesn't let my brain rest easy... dunno. Also, on the clicky thing, I do have one that I got separately (whatever the model number is; identical to the one on the 6PD). As much as I'd like to have a clicky light, I just don't trust the thing. The first one I got failed very shortly after arrival, and the replacement they sent me has become iffy. I've essentially given up using them, just because I trust the twisty that much more. Although, even there, my G3 twisty cap has occasionally not worked for momentary... Dirty contacts, maybe? Not sure how to try and clean them, though...

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Really? 1.5 hours? Not 3.5? Visually, my P60L in the all Nitrolon G2 host has the same overall brightness as my L1 (rated at 65 lumens), which matches up with tests that others (Chevrofreek, for example) have gotten. And it stays at that brightness for about 3.5 or 4 hours. I get about the same output from putting the module in my G3, though I must assume that that level of brightness will last for longer (of course). I guess one of these days I'll have to do a runtime test with the module in my G3 to see if that 5.8 really pans out.
That's from a SureFire CS rep. I really can't verify or deny it.

I must admit, that does sound like a pretty sweet setup.
Why, thank you!

The crenelated bezel definitely appeals to me, as does the clicky, though since those are aluminum, I'd probably put them on a 9P body myself (if I had a 9P, that is). Somehow the non-matching parts just doesn't let my brain rest easy... dunno.
I like the Nitrolon body for its better grippiness in my hand. I admit that it may not look all THAT great, but all I have is the G3 body and 6PD body; I prefer the better runtime and better tactile qualities of the G3.

Also, on the clicky thing, I do have one that I got separately (whatever the model number is; identical to the one on the 6PD). As much as I'd like to have a clicky light, I just don't trust the thing. The first one I got failed very shortly after arrival, and the replacement they sent me has become iffy.
Yes, as has mine. I called on Feb. 1. They said they were sending me a replacement (something about how my failed clickie was the old model), but it still hasn't arrived.

I've essentially given up using them, just because I trust the twisty that much more. Although, even there, my G3 twisty cap has occasionally not worked for momentary... Dirty contacts, maybe? Not sure how to try and clean them, though...
I'll use the new clickie before I pass judgement. My G3 twistie cap has been perfectly fine.

flash_bang

Enlightened
I got a P60L for my G2, and it works great. Drops to 65 lumens a sooner and runs for longer at that level than my 6PL (around 75 lumens for 2-3 hours).

So yeah, works great!

HAGO,
Flash