Attention Surefire EB1 Backup owners!!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all...

I am curious, and I need all your help. I have a SF L1 Cree, and I wanna know if your SF EB1 Backup has more throw than your SF L1 Cree.

I know that Surefire says that L1 has 65 lumens and EB1 has 80 lumens, but, sometimes, lumens doesn´t mean throw, necessarily...

So, help me guys: Which model does illuminate more far, in HIGH MODE ?

Thanks in advance to all. :wave:

ps - This thread was created after WadeF´s experience.

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say it depends of the brightness of the LED since both share the same optic. E1B should throw more but with WadeF experience, it can be the contrary... Personnally I prefer the L1 UI.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an update with my E1B I tried cleaning all the contacts with DeoxIT, I've tried different cells, testing them to find CR123A's with the highest voltage, but anything I try it can't out perform my L1. It comes close, but the L1 still beats it on the LUX meter for throw, and the L1 was edging it out in in total output. If anything, the E1B, with a really good cell, is about equal to the L1.

Maybe they updated the L1 to be as bright as the E1B? I only got my L1 a couple weeks before the E1B, maybe the latest L1 Cree's are brighter and SF will update their specs at some point? From my tests at the time I received my L1 I felt the L1 was more than 65 lumens.

zven

Enlightened
Seems to me that another thing to check on in this L1 vs. E1B mystery would be runtime. If the theory that SF has started making the newest L1's with an updated, higher output LED is correct, and that this LED matches the one they're using in the E1B, then the L1 should perform more or less the same as that in the E1B. Specifically, if they have the same emitter, and they're putting out equal amounts of light, then a CR123 should last just as long in either light. Perhaps WadeF, or anyone else with an E1B and L1 of the same brightness, could test this with a runtime test on high?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also for those saying their E1B throws farther than the L1, has this been confirmed by a lux meter, or photographic exposure? I know some lights appear brighter just from the difference in tint, when they actually aren't.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also depends on what generation of Cree L1: I have two, one with the frosted window, and one without. The non-frosted window has a really tight hotspot and throws great. The frosted has a perfect round flood beam, but doesn't throw nearly as far.

--dan

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The frosted my cut back on lumens too, I have the clear. Maybe the frosted is 65 lumens and the non frosted is 80? :)

Be nice if someone from Surefire could come on and throw us a bone, but I guess they like being mysterious.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be nice if someone from Surefire could come on and throw us a bone, but I guess they like being mysterious.

My SF L1 has crystal clear lens too... Nothing frosted!

And the mistery goes on... I still wanna know if the EB1 really has more throw than the L1 Cree.

zven

Enlightened
Runtime in regulation is very similar between the L1 and the EB1, with the EB1 having a very slight advantage before dropping out of regulation.

Interesting that the E1B has the edge both in runtime and output. Might sound like a more efficient emitter, but I'm thinking they just have a level of unit-to -unit variability that CPFers have been able to pick up on.

So unless huge amounts of E1B owners are suddenly able to say for certain that the E1B out-throws the L1, I'd probably just base the decision on preferred UI and aesthetics/feel. For me this would be the L1, because I really like the knurling and the perfectly simple 2-stage twisty.

I would be curious, though, if the head of the E2DL will work on just one cell, and if so, how that might turn out if placed on the L1... Only time will tell, I suppose. But I'm pretty sure that thing will have significantly greater throw.

cat

Enlightened
Interesting that the E1B has the edge both in runtime and output. Might sound like a more efficient emitter, but I'm thinking they just have a level of unit-to -unit variability that CPFers have been able to pick up on.

So unless huge amounts of E1B owners are suddenly able to say for certain that the E1B out-throws the L1, I'd probably just base the decision on preferred UI and aesthetics/feel. For me this would be the L1, because I really like the knurling and the perfectly simple 2-stage twisty.

Yes about the UI and aesthetics of the L1, but what's put me off getting one - the L1 Cree - is that so many people here have not been happy with them. So far we haven't heard reports like those about the E1B. I suppose it's a matter of the "Cree lottery effect". ?

carrot

Flashaholic
Honestly I think most of the "not liking the L1" came from the original Cree L1's that were buggy and had problems. Surefire has since corrected all known issues (afaik) and I have found much less variation between Cree LED's than we had originally seen in the days of Luxeon.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I guess if we ust think that hard and compare that close ... the difference between the L1 and the E1B should be insignificant. :D

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes about the UI and aesthetics of the L1, but what's put me off getting one - the L1 Cree - is that so many people here have not been happy with them. So far we haven't heard reports like those about the E1B. I suppose it's a matter of the "Cree lottery effect". ?

Actually, I love my SF L1 Cree. And I recommend you to have one! It´s a superb little light.

My doubt (still not answered here...) is:

SF EB1 Backup has more throw than SF L1 Cree, on high mode ? How much "more" ?

I´m asking that after WadeF´s experience... because I want to buy a SF EB1, only if it have more throw than the L1 Cree.

So... can anyone help me ? :thumbsup:

Talas

Newly Enlightened
In my case, my E1B definitely throws farther (10%-15%) than my L1 (clear window) although the hotspot is smaller (so it may just have a narrower focus). I also think that your results may vary depending on the specific units you are comparing due to production differences. I consider each to be a totally separate light due to the feel and UI... and both are keepers for me. I live in an urban setting and there is a lot of ambient light at night, so I prefer a tight hotspot and lots of throw so I can focus on what I'm shining my light at... and the E1B fills this need very well.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I didn't realize there have been complaints or unhappiness with the L1. Having received mine kind of late in the game (Oct.) maybe I missed it. Essentially everything I've read since then has been good, and my experience confirms it.

As far as comparing it to the E1B, I wonder if Surefire just decided to not understate the lumen output like they perhaps did with the L1.

Geoff

FredericoFreire

Enlightened
Actually, I love my SF L1 Cree. And I recommend you to have one! It´s a superb little light.

My doubt (still not answered here...) is:

SF EB1 Backup has more throw than SF L1 Cree, on high mode ? How much "more" ?

I´m asking that after WadeF´s experience... because I want to buy a SF EB1, only if it have more throw than the L1 Cree.

So... can anyone help me ? :thumbsup:

Let's do a Brazilian E1B group buy :naughty::naughty::naughty:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as comparing it to the E1B, I wonder if Surefire just decided to not understate the lumen output like they perhaps did with the L1.
Geoff

I think this maybe the case, or the latest L1 Cree's have more output then they did initially. Maybe once more L1 Cree's have been sold, and there is less old stock around, SF will update their stats. We need more input from people who recently got a L1 Cree and a E1B. :)