Confusing (to me anyway) Fenix naming

Others more learned than myself probably already have all this worked out, but am I right in assuming that for instance:

The HEADS for the L1D-Q5, L2D-Q5, P1D-Q5 and P3D-Q5 are ALL THE SAME except for the markings on them (ie., they all will have Q5 and contain the same LED, but also have L1D or whatever corresponding to the body?

I guess the same for RB100, ordinary CE emitter etc?

Is this not confusing? Why not just put Q5, RB100 ... on the head and leave it at that?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
P3d head is different from the other three, due to different circuit to accomdate different input voltage.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix:

The L1D, L2D and P2D have the same circuit and have compatible bodies(the L1/2T V2.0 head/bodies are also compatible). They use a boost circuit, one that boosts the lower voltage of the battery to the voltage the LED needs. When the voltage it too high, the circuit does nothing and the LED is taking all the voltage. Not recommended.

The P3D has compatible threads but it uses a buck circuit. It lowers the battery voltage to the right voltage the LED needs.

P = CR123 battery powered
Number: 1 = 1 CR123 twistie, 2 = 1 CR123 clickie, 3 = 2 CR123

L = Normal battery, high power LED, AA or AAA powered
Number: 0 = 1 AAA, 1 = 1 AA battery, 2 = 2 AA battery.
Letter: S = Luxeon I two mode, twist head for high/low
T = two mode, Luxeon III, HA III, twist for high/low, with V2.0 means Luxeon Rebel 80.
D = Digital, mas more then 2 modes, controlled by a microprocessor.
P = Luxeon I, one mode, V2.0 means Luxeon III, two mode, like the T series

E = AAA battery powered, lower power LED

T = Tactical, the only one right now is the T1

CE means Cree LED. Rebel means Rebel LED. The number/letter behind the designation means the bin code(no bin code usually means Cree XR-E P4). No designation means Luxeon I or III.

D means digital, or it has more then two modes.

I think that covers most of it.