Somone explain to me the difference

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the Deree CL1H
The 2SM and the 2SD

Both seem to be 2 stage lights. I'm guessing the 2SM is click once for low and a second time for High.

The 2SD instructions on the Deree web site are less than clear.

If I turn on the light using a momentary use will it start to cycle?

I use both momentary and constant on a regular basis, I will be needing a two stage light as I will be changing assignments and a lower setting will be useful.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay both lights are 2-stage lights.
The 2SD has a driver circuit optimized for a single Lithium Ion battery like an 18650 or a 17670. You'll probably burn it out if you use 2 standard CR123 cells. It changes modes via the clickie switch.
The 2SM is designed to work pretty much just with dereelight flashlight bodies. The CL1H and the DBS (V1, dunno about V2) have an extra place to twist to change modes specifically for this module. The 2SM can take up to 6V so it will work with a single LiIon or with 2 CR123s.

The 2SD will be slightly brighter due to running at 1.2A but in actual use you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you ran them side by side. The 2SD has flatter regulation.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions please ask before buying. :grin2:

Zenster

Enlightened
Other than the slight difference in UI, the single most important thing to know about the difference between the two is that the 2SD is designed to work with rechargeable 18650 batteries ONLY. Using it with CR123's WILL damage the electronics of that module.

The 2SM is designed to work MAINLY with CR123's although it will light up with the lower voltage 18650. However, it will not perform as well with the 18650.

So the bottom line is that if you want to use 18650's as your power source, you go with the 2SD or other digital module.*
If you want to use CR123's as your main power source, go with the 2SM.
Note that the 2SM module requires that the batteries be installed with the Pos. battery terminal toward the tailcap. Doing otherwise will blow out the electronics of the 2SM.

* If you've got a little spare cash, do what I did and get the light with the 2SD module, but also order the 2SM module with it at the same time.
That way, you can use the 2SD most of the time, but you will be able to pop in the 2SM for when the power goes down and you want to use your stashed CR123 "emergency" batteries.
Changing out the module takes no longer than changing batteries. (But remember about that "Pos. terminal towards the tailcap" thing when using the 2SM).

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ the the 2SM will not change levels when signaling(to change levels you have tighten and loosen the battery tube) and it can not be used with the DBS V2. The 2SM will have a flat output to ~ 3.8v. Then 2SD uses the clicky to switch levels and will have constant output to ~2.8v. Here's a link to the pills; http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
* If you've got a little spare cash, do what I did and get the light with the 2SD module, but also order the 2SM module with it at the same time.
That way, you can use the 2SD most of the time, but you will be able to pop in the 2SM for when the power goes down and you want to use your stashed CR123 "emergency" batteries.
Changing out the module takes no longer than changing batteries. (But remember about that "Pos. terminal towards the tailcap" thing when using the 2SM).

+

Good idea!
If you go this route, consider labeling your modules in some way
because when swapping out modules /batteries it's easy to get crossed up and :poof:, a pill down for the count...

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys.
I like the light is configured with a removable pocket clip and 2 output levels.

I'll probably get it with both modules so I can use it with either power source

Zenster

Enlightened
+

Good idea!
If you go this route, consider labeling your modules in some way
because when swapping out modules /batteries it's easy to get crossed up and :poof:, a pill down for the count...

Gotcha' covered. The first thing I noticed when I switched them out for the first time was that they sure looked alike.
So I grabbed my Dremel engraver and buzzed their respective names right into the brass housing. :thumbsup:

Zenster

Enlightened
Thanks guys.
I like the light is configured with a removable pocket clip and 2 output levels.

I'll probably get it with both modules so I can use it with either power source

One more suggestion; while I got my DBS with a 2SD module, I bought my CL1H with the 3SD module. I wish I had gotten the DBS with a 3SD as well.

The really cool thing about those Deree digital modules is their "memory" feature. So unlike most other lights in this class where you have to always click through all the levels to get where you most often use it, the Deree will turn on at the last level you left it at.
While the 2SD is fine, what you get is full power and low while the 3SD adds a medium between the high and low. I find that while I don't often use the low setting, I do use the medium setting more than I need the high.
Just thought I'd explain it like that in case it makes a difference to you, and because of the memory feature, you won't have to screw around with clicking through to the other levels any more often than you want to.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm thinking the CL1H as a new duty light. I like the idea of a few modes but don't want a complex interface.
I'm not sure what pill to get as I like both 18650's and CR123 primaries

Getting 2 different lights is out as I'll probably get the DBS also.

I may get a second pill for the CL1H. What kind of Lumens does low put out?

I may need to get a three stage to have medium, or maybe the continuous ramping version.

Also, what kind of run time are we talking with a 2SM on 18650 ? and is in regulation for a reasonable amount of time.

Deree looks interesting but it seems each light is optimized for a single power source. I really need to get the most versatility.

Last edited: