New EDC - with clip?

soffiler

Enlightened
I'm thinking about a new EDC. Right now, I've got a P1D-CE in my pocket and to be honest, it is everything I want in an EDC with one exception - a clip.

I was recently doing a construction project in a remote location (on an island) and I neglected to bring any headlamps. The first time I needed to get into a dark area under the house, I used the P1D-CE, handheld. The second time, I wised up and wired it to the bill of my baseball cap, which worked out extremely well for the duration of the project (but I had to drill holes in the bill to wire it on).

I then realized that a pocket clip would allow me to clip my EDC to any baseball cap whenever I want. Carrying a headlamp isn't my favorite solution, as I wear caps a lot, and the bill can get in the way of the beam from most normal headlamps.

So does anybody make a light similar to the P1D-CE (I like 1x123 lights but realize I might need to consider other formats) with a pocket clip? I like multiple levels. I like small. And while I'm at it, I really like floody (which doesn't exactly describe the P1D-CE but let's throw that in while I'm at it).

I want Fenix level quality or better. No DealExtreme or KaiDomain, please!

Marduke

Flashaholic
I carry the LOD Q4 with the clip attached bezel-up style for just that reason. The LOD comes with a pocket clip that works well with the bill of a hat, and is very comfortable since it's so small and light. It's usually clipped with a swivel snap to a Vic Rambler and flash drive, the a quick unhook of the swivel snap and it's ready to go solo.

I also carry a 1xAA Ultrafire C3 in my bag with a bezel-up clip also, but the 1xAA format feels just a tad too bulky hanging out there, so I just keep it for general backup purposes.

soffiler

Enlightened
I carry the LOD Q4 with the clip attached bezel-up style for just that reason. The LOD comes with a pocket clip that works well with the bill of a hat, and is very comfortable since it's so small and light. It's usually clipped with a swivel snap to a Vic Rambler and flash drive, the a quick unhook of the swivel snap and it's ready to go solo.

Thanks, Marduke. I am ashamed to admit that I did not know the LOD comes with a pocket clip!

Ah, OK, there it is:
"Includes a spare o-ring, a split ring, and a pocket clip"

My search might be over. A fact I did not mention in my original post is that my second choice after CR123A is AAA. Not the most wildly popular cell format, but I became a convert to AAA in order to feed one of my most favorite lights, the Coast Focusing Lenser w/ Seoul P4 mod.

Related question, before I give up: does anybody know of an accessory clip that might fit the P1D-CE? I know Nite-Ize has one called the Lite-Lok that fits Mini-Mag and it seems a likely candidate.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The NiteIze accessories are meant for a MiniMag usually, which is considerably narrower than most other AA lights out there. I would caution their purchase unless you can test them in a real store, or hear of someone else who has confirmed their specific use.

Academy Sports and Outdoors sells the largest selection of NiteIze products I know of in the flashlight section. Nearly all of their accessories.

I'll post a picture of my headlamp setups in a bit, for everyone else to see, since this questions comes up fairly frequently.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The past few months I have been carrying the Streamlight Stylus Pro and Fenix L0P SE as my EDC. I find the thin AAA body style to be about the easiest to carry of lights. For years I carried a Solitare and a AAA Minimag, now these two take their place wonderfully in much brighter longer lasting packages. I just finished a battery run test of the Stylus and it ran for 7.5 hours, I was astounded.

The Stylus is a great bright little light with a pocket clip. However the clip is flimsy and I replaced it with the clip from a AAA Minimag and it fit perfectly.

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
Greetings, Soffiler,

I pulled the clip off the River Rock 1AA light to put on my P3D Q5, and I love it. However, this light is around $24 at Target, so if you are willing to buy another light for the clip, how about the River Rock 2AAA for $10?

Also, the Gerber Infinity Ultra is on sale at Smoky Mountain Knife Works for $4.99 (noted here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=174993). I ordered 2 of them for the clips after I saw the use of the same clip in posts #235 and 239 here: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28269&page=16

In the flow,
Mr. Shawn

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
Now this may be pushing your budget a bit, but the Novatac's come with a clip, are cr123a and rechargable friendly, have multiple levels, are small, and have damn nice beam, have a look.

soffiler

Enlightened
I was wondering when someone would suggest Novatac. I didn't really mention a budget, so it's certainly fair game. I am not as familiar with Novatac as I should be - mostly, I was unsure if they had a clip. The rest of the details I've picked up by osmosis on CPF.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Took some pictures of my LOD.

My carry setup:
83f6ed887a799c33ebe5582c1a307b4d5g.jpg

The LOD in action!
e417948ea9aba388337c244c6e8d76eb5g.jpg

**please pay no attention to the nasty hat, I know it needs washed :whistle:

soffiler

Enlightened
Order placed with Smokey Mt. Since I recently found a brand-new MiniMag in the back of a drawer, I also picked up a Nite-Ize LED module to push the order over $10. (Yeah, I know there are a zillion choices in modding a 2xAA MiniMag, but I just happen to like the floody pattern and runtime delivered by the Nite-Ize 3x5mm setup)

Thanks again CPF! Now I'll have a clip for my P1D-CE, a whole spare flashlight (the Gerber) and a second Nite-Ized MiniMag all for about twelve bucks.

(oh, and, nice shots Marduke)