Dereelight CL1H V3 v SF L4 Output?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I just received my CL1H DI and have been playing with it and doing output comparisons and such. I find that in the ceiling bounce test, the output on high is only marginally greater than that of my year-old L4. Is that your experience as well?

The infinitely adjustable levels is pretty cool indeed. And to comment on other points previously remarked upon, the light does buzz and the PWM flicker is noticeable. On 100%, it's running flat out so no flicker but at the lower levels and in a dark room, it most definitely is noticeable. I'm still trying to decide if it's annoying.

The beam quality with the OP reflector is very nice and throw is sufficient for me. Beam quality is not so hot with the SMO reflector.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Works pretty well. It is a continuous ramp from 5% to 100% with flashing indication at 5, 50, and 100%. Last setting is memorized unless you reset the ramp by doing a tap, tap, click on.

Wilkey

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Works pretty well. It is a continuous ramp from 5% to 100% with flashing indication at 5, 50, and 100%. Last setting is memorized unless you reset the ramp by doing a tap, tap, click on. Wilkey
Thank you. But I would fear it will take to much time in case of an emergency. Isn't it easier to only choose between 2 or 3 modes? Do you really use a continuous ramp? I especially need a low and a high mode, an additional medium mode gives better runtime in rare situations. :shrug:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you. But I would fear it will take to much time in case of an emergency. Isn't it easier to only choose between 2 or 3 modes? Do you really use a continuous ramp? I especially need a low and a high mode, an additional medium mode gives better runtime in rare situations. :shrug:
If you are a first responder or someone whose tools can mean the difference between life and death, then this is probably not the light for you. Buy the right SureFire.

I keep the light on high and if I need low, then it's just a few taps away. I use it and home and around the house so a difference of a second or two in deployment is not critical.

Wilkey

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CL1H V3 with a DI R2 or Q5 pill should have almost twice the output of a L4. What is the lumen rating of the L4? 80-100?

You're ramping it up until you get 3 flashes right? :)

With a cieling bounce the CL1H should make the room look a little brighter than the L4, but it won't be dramatic, especially in a large room. Maybe try a small room, bathroom, closet, with a white cieling and walls, and see if the difference is more noticeable. Remember, to make something look twice as bright, you need 4 times the light, and the CL1H doesn't have 4 tiems the output of a L4, so it won't make the room twice as bright, just slightly brighter.

Yeah, it's not the quickest thing, which is why I run the DI pills in my "recreational/utility/around the house" lights, and keep 2SD or 3SD pills in other lights that I may need to adjust more quickly. I'm glad I have two DBS's (v1, v2), and 3 CL1H's (v1, v2, v3) so I can keep them set up in a variety of ways.

Last edited:

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
Also, for the curious, the DI interface is still accessible in a different host. I was able to perform the same quick click action to get the DI R2 P60 unit for my CL1H to work in my Ultrafire 502B (even though it is a reverse clicky as opposed to the forward clicky in the CL1H).

CandleFranky

Enlightened
Yeah, it's not the quickest thing, which is why I run the DI pills in my "recreational/utility/around the house" lights, and keep 2SD or 3SD pills in other lights that I may need to adjust more quickly.
Thank your for this info. As I have thought --> DI is less a tool, then a toy for flashies. ;)
At least, Dereelight knows what Flashaholics want. :crackup:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CL1H V3 with a DI R2 or Q5 pill should have almost twice the output of a L4. What is the lumen rating of the L4? 80-100?

You're ramping it up until you get 3 flashes right? :)

With a cieling bounce the CL1H should make the room look a little brighter than the L4, but it won't be dramatic, especially in a large room. Maybe try a small room, bathroom, closet, with a white cieling and walls, and see if the difference is more noticeable. Remember, to make something look twice as bright, you need 4 times the light, and the CL1H doesn't have 4 tiems the output of a L4, so it won't make the room twice as bright, just slightly brighter.
Thanks for you reply, Wade. I am indeed going right up to the three flashes and I also confirm that the light is not running in PWM at that setting. I have tried it casually in a large bedroom and much smaller half bathroom. My L4 is rated 100 lumens per the package. Perhaps I should try rigging up a milkjug integrating "sphere." I do have a luxmeter that I could use. I just haven't got the time to tinker like I used to.

I'll try it again tonight.

Wilkey