I need lots of flood and lots of lumens... Suggestions?

yalskey

Enlightened
Without resorting to using a defusser, I'd like a LOT of flood and at least 120 out-the-front lumens (or 180 emitter lumens) or possibly more. I like clickies better, and as small as possible too. A few modes would be cool as well.

Any suggestions guys?

p.s. I don't really want to go with shower head (100 5mm led lights) either. The quality of these never impressed me, and they are bulky too.

jugg2

Enlightened
Most high power LEDs are geared for throw; I don't know of any that are completely flood (of course, that doesn't mean it's not out there). The closest I could think of would be a P3D Q5 with a diffuser. Maybe somebody else will have a better idea.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend finding a compact LED flashlight you like, perhaps a Fenix, then buying a UCL lens with light diffusion film from flashlightlens.com. Those are AR-coated so that makes up for some of the light-transmission loss you get from adding the diffuser. I also happen to like flood lights that use diffusers because they "soften" the light output compared to a clear lens -- reducing things like sharp shadows.

Illum

Flashaholic
for flood, theres always the surefire L4 [soon to be extinct], but its a bit on the "hot" side if you plan to hold on to it by hand

its not "true flood" but theres no strong hotspot in the middle

some recommend the mule, others swear by it...Personally I'd say do a little research before buying anything.:huh:

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I recently modified two cheap lights. On one I removed the reflector, on the other I removed the optic. In both cases it gave a 100% smooth but distinct-edged flood. Almost like a very large moonbeam or to think of it another way, like a Zebralight H50 that was cut down to a 30-degree angle. In the case of removing the cheap plastic optic, overall output actually increased noticeably despite spreading the light over a much larger area. That thick plastic was so ineffecient.
I also added simple diffusion material to two lights that I wasn't using because of their poor beam quality. An Inova X1 in green and a Fenix E1.
I used a PDA screen protector sheet, scuffed lightly with a clean pencil eraser and cut to the proper size to adhere to the window. It's simple, cheap, effective and removeable, but you'll need a high powered light to achieve the lumens you want and I don't know how my solution would stand up to the heat.

pbs357

Enlightened
Shower head led lights are built for all flood but I don't like them either. You're best bet for PURE flood would be some kind of mule mod. I sometimes use my Nuwai QIII modded witha Q5 emitter this way, by taking the head/bezel off. All flood, straight off the emitter, 180 degrees from my extreme left to my extreme right. Really a wierd but useful experience if you've never tried it. The easy route as noted though is a diffuser on an existing light.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I'd also recommend the Surefire L4. Not quite 120 lumens but pretty close. It will light up just about anything you need to see, especially indoors. It also has the clickie tailcap and the quality is fantastic. With optional clickie you can get it to be multi-mode, but I've never bothered.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could always just get something like a MagLED and remove the reflector, as I've suggested here (several months before McGizmo introduced his Mule concept, BTW).

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a 700mah driver and a CREE-Q5 from DX, and cook up something for yourself, all you need is a piece of metal (plumbing supplies work fine) for heat sinking, a battery back, a clicky switch which you can also get at DX, a soldering iron, and maybe hotglue if youre lazy.... Its very bright, could be hitting 200emitter lumens...:tinfoil:

Crenshaw

moon lander

Enlightened
I'd recommend finding a compact LED flashlight you like, perhaps a Fenix, then buying a UCL lens with light diffusion film from flashlightlens.com. Those are AR-coated so that makes up for some of the light-transmission loss you get from adding the diffuser. I also happen to like flood lights that use diffusers because they "soften" the light output compared to a clear lens -- reducing things like sharp shadows.

i have also noticed i prefer diffused to bare led. a bare led has very sharp shadows due to being a point source of light, but if you use a diffuser, the diffuser effectively becomes the light source, so the light source would be much bigger and soften the shadows.
:thinking:
is there any other reason the light quality would be different other than the effective source size? i know this is a little off topic but it may be relevant to yalskeys decision.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 Inova X5's duct taped together:) The only thing I can think of is finding the hottest Q5/R2 light you have and putting some difuser film on it. I have bought some bright lights lately, but the T1 is the one with the most flood...and that is not really a flood light.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can find one, the nuwai 3 watt 2xAA light is a great idea here. You can unscrew the head, which exposes the bare emitter (it's a lux III so quite tough) and you get a really good flood.

Xak

Enlightened
AmiLite Neo T5 - SSC

http://www.amilite.co.kr/

I've been on a quest myself for exactly the same thing, and this is what I've decided on buying after much research.

There are several reviews of this light around the forum by people stating they find it to be refreshingly floody compared to other lights. Great for close to medium distance stuff. 140 lumens too. I am going to order one myself as soon as he gets some more of the cool holsters back in stock.

Good luck!

GregWormald

Enlightened
If by 'diffuser' you mean a thin film that adheres to or over-fits precisely the front 'lens' then I can't help.

If by 'diffuser' you mean a great chunk of white plastic or an ugly holder that expands the front of the light, then try a Fenix with one of the other diffusers.

Good ones can easily be cut from the light pebbled finish plastic of a CD case. These can either replace the 'lens' or stick on top and latch into the o-ring recess for quick removal.

Greg

JohnTz

Enlightened
Get a McGizmo EN Mclicky mule and a GDup LE from the shoppe. You will be very happy with that combination. Three levels and the high will flood a large room. I don't know the lumens but huge light for a flood. It doesn't use a reflector so it is all flood all the time. Real nice and very usefull.

BMF

Enlightened
Like someone posted on Kai's bucket thread at MarketPlace and woodrow's post above I did use rubber bands to tight 3 of bucket lights together: WOW! They're so bright and throw much better. If 1 buckle is 100 lumens, as claimed at Kai's site, I have 300 lumens with a lot lot lot of flood and also throw further: $45.03 for all 3.

Except you have, or make, a housing for group of these lights the best center beam is 3 of them with duct tapes, rubbler bands, ... You can get any 3 lights of the same shape like the buckle to group them. I need to turn on 3 times though but is it like I have a flashlight with 3 levels low, med and high:crackup:?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a small light [single CR123] the Amilite T5, as Xak suggested, would be great.
For a larger light, check out the Peak First Responder. It has multiple battery tube options, and a continuoulsy variable brightness control, among other nice features. It was made to be floody, and is rated at 400 lumens! There are a few reviews of it in the Reviews forum. The specifications are listed in a thread in the Peak forum.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
DO you need led? My wolf eyes Sniper with either 2 123a batteries, or the 3.7 incan and 1 18650 battery is quite strong- produces a wide flood pattern too.

radu1976

Enlightened
lots of lumens and flood ?
very simple : buy a cheap light of 100-120 5mm LEDS and you'll have what you want . A dealextreme one would be 25 bucks and it uses 6 AA I think.

Latest posts