I think I want a 6P Xenon

kramer5150

Flashaholic
After searching/sifting through it all I think I want a good ol' 6P. Heres my line of reasoning...

1- can be completely taken apart, no glue/adhesive anywhere.
2- replacement parts readily available.
3- submersible
4- dozens of drop in modules available, both incan and LED. Should be easy to upgrade whenver new BINs are created.
5- small enough for my coat pocket.
6- local availability, no hastle with shipping around the world.
7- Surefire reputation and customer support
8- free extra batteries and ground shipping from, battery junction

I dont really have any desire for extra modes, although I can easily drop in a new module should I so desire. I want it to be a good all around light, rather than a master of one/two things.

What do you all think?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like a plan. The basic C series platform has an amazing number of upgrade paths to the point where you can make a light that is completely unique and totally suited to your needs.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot that its a darn handsome light.

You can also get cell extenders and turboheads too.

Do it!!!

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 The 6P is a great incan and with a couple of bulbs and a couple of LED drop in's (gathered over time) you have about the most resillent light package out there. As my first proper flashlight it remains ones of my favourates.

As far as looks go a prefer the older round bodied Laser Products and it seems to fit the hand better.

Last edited:

jugg2

Enlightened
I would go the C2 route (if you don't mind the extra $$) since it has a pocket clip. I never knew how great a clip could be till I had a light with one on it.

On a side note, I would reccommend a 3 cell light (9P,C3). It can cost more to run on primaries, but there are more modification options for later on down the road. But thats just my preference.

Either way you will get a great light!:thumbsup:

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have a fine line of reasoning for the 6P. I still have my original 6P's from the mid 1980's (that's 20 years!) that I have done bezel upgrades, LOTC upgrades, and LED dropin upgrades to. If you have any plans to make it a three cell light by adding an A19 one cell extender, they only come in black to match the 6P. It will work on the HAIII C2 but will be a non-matching color.

gary3911

Newly Enlightened
If you get the clone, you will always regret it. If you get the real one, I doubt you will ever wish you had got the clone.

generic808

Enlightened
Get the 6P and a drop-in from DX for $10 to hold you over til the P61L becomes available.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a couple of 6P's and a bunch of G2's. I have replaced the 6P's with a range of Wolf Eyes lights, starting with the Sniper model. You can run both 2x CR123's in it or you can use the large rechargeable 18650 cell. You have a range of D26 3.7 and 6 V incan lamps from WE and LF as well as excellent WE HO Q5 LED multi-level 260 lumen lamps. I have a Sniper with a LF EO-4 and LED tailcap and another with the Q5 LED lamp.....cant go wrong with these combinations.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
A new Sniper from PTS is $34.95 and less if you sign up. Main advantage with the Sniper is that you can use the LED tailcap for low light needs as well as having a choice of the smaller 17670 cell or the bigger 18650, the 6P only takes the smaller cell.

dougie

Enlightened
Personally I prefer lights made in the states (or at least containing a high proportion of American made parts) . You get what you pay for in this life and to my mind the best bang for buck has got to be Surefire or Streamlight.

Whilst many of the foreign made lights are well made and extremely competitive on pricing I think the durability and warranty available from the above two companies is money well spent. Additionally, I feel that the support for parts and or new components should ensure that any light bought from these two companies will the maximum possible service life.

Many CPF members have Surefire products that are at least a decade old and in some two decades old! If that doesn't mean value for money what does?

As you can now see with some of the newer Led modules being released by Surefire the G2 and 6P are being kept up to date with new developments. In fact I personally would recommend that you buy a new 6PL instead of the 6P because the new P60L lamp out performs the p60 bulb.

Doug

Last edited:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a new 6PL for a lot of the same reasons you have mentioned. I have already "tricked" mine out to my tastes. I had a 9P in the past, and really like the 2-cell form-factor better.

jufam44

Enlightened
+1 for getting a 6p and not a clone-
If you buy the clone, you'll end up just going out and buying a 6p anyways. The Surefire product line is so much better in terms of build quality than any knock-offs, plus it's got a lifetime warranty. My 6p "american-flag" edition is my night-stand light. My 6p black is my bathroom light, and my 6p gunmetal is one of 3 EDC's. You can never have enough 6p's! (Or G2's, not to hijack your thread.)

Dantor

Enlightened
why don't you do what many flash-a-holics do and get both! for the price and a nice backup it's hard to go wrong. you can mod them both and have a favorite one and a beater/user/backup! it's what I'm doing :D

HunkaBurninLove

Newly Enlightened
You can't really go wrong with a Surefire, especially the 6P.

As cernobila mentioned, one of the downsides is that the Surefires are not big enough to accept the larger diameters (and longer runtime) 18650s.

Keep an eye out on the Buy/Sell/Trade section and you can score a good deal.

generic808

Enlightened
why don't you do what many flash-a-holics do and get both! for the price and a nice backup it's hard to go wrong. you can mod them both and have a favorite one and a beater/user/backup! it's what I'm doing :D

Same here, 6P/G2 combo for me!