5 watt Luxeon. . .NX-05, 30mm, or naked?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering if it has been decided which optic works the best with the 5 watt luxeons. Has the 30mm won the award, or is the NX-05 a good option as well?

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has it been decided as to which optic for the 5W?

Here's my 2 cents:

The NX05 works okay if a piece of scotch tape is placed over it, which removes the grids and somewhat removes the dark hole. The 30mm optics still have a bit of a dark hole in the middle, which drives me batty. When I measure the lux from the NX05, and the 30mm optics, using the same emitter, I get a reading two or three times higher than with the NX05.

Right now I'm working on getting the light be smooth. The problem seems to be the much larger light emitting point of light, which is 4 times the size of the 1W.

Don't get me wrong, the light put out is great from the 5W 30mm optics, but not as tight a beam as with the 1W lambertian.

Wayne

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has it been decided as to which optic for the

I have noticed that. Oh, by the way, my 5w and NX-05 optic was in the mail today. THANKS WAYNE!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, I did some initial tests and with 5 AA batteries, the 1 watt with 30mm optic appeared to be brighter at the center then the 5 watt with 30mm optic. With 6 AAs, it was starting to be as bright (with, of course, a bigger spot). I guess that goes to show how well the 30mm optic works with the 1 watt luxeons.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has it been decided as to which optic for the

You know, the 5 watt Luxeon really works well as a flood light, with no optics at all. It's quite impressive that way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif