Anyone with a recent P2D Q5...

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any P2D Q5's that don't have the turbo flash? I love my P2D CE (P4) and would definitely upgrade to an olive P2D Q5 if the new ones eliminated the flash.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got one, it still seems to flash, but only slightly, so slightly I have a hard time detecting it, so it is a non-issue for me, nothing like my P2D Q4 that looks like a camera flash going off. :)

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Mine's not that recent (Nov. 2007 I think?), but there is the slightest flicker when turning it on the lowest setting.

I never notice it unless I really concentrate and watch for it: even then it doesn't seem like a flicker of "Turbo" light, just a milliseconds little flicker.

I believe 4sevens stated a while ago that the more prominent turbo flash that was plaquing some of the Fenix lights was fixed in the Q5 batches.

Again, just my light, but I wouldn't even hesistate or worry about the "flicker".

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, my P3D Q5 doesn't have any flash, so that's got me spoiled. I want a P2D that is the same way. :twothumbs Guess I'll have to wait for the next gen...

Wattnot

Enlightened
I have a 3 week old one straight from the Fenix store . . . no flicker on low, no flash on turbo. It's a great light!

Az_Tibor

Newly Enlightened
I bought the PowerPack (P2D Q5 with L1D body/tailcap and accessories) at the end of December - it does not flash.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trevor from the Fenix Store says that it is "limited". I asked him if that meant some do it and some don't or if they all do it, but just barely. Either way, I think I'll give it a shot.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried mine out more last night, when the house was dark, and I didn't notice a flash. If there is, it's so brief that I'm having a hard time detecting it. My P2D Q2 can't be missed, it's a big FLASH. :)

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
For what it's worth, my new L2D RB100 (got it wednesday this week) does not have a flash when changing modes. My old L2D-CE and P2D-CE both have the flash.

Grateful Ned

Newly Enlightened
... now if Fenix can just add some knurling or other grip-friendly texturing to the light.

I know about the shrink wrap and abrasive sticky material, etc - I have a P3D Q5 and have been either hesitant (or lazy?) about trying these things. I don't want to make the dang light difficult to retrieve from the holster nor do I want to muck it up irreparably. A more grippy surface from the factory would make these lights more attractive IMHO.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flash is something all earlier fenix lights had. When you switch the light on in the low mode, it briefly comes on in turbo, then dims down quickly to low. Same happens with the other modes. With the exception of the P1D-CE which never had this issue.

Newer batches seem to eliminate this issue (and my L2D-RB100, ordered last month, has no flash).