Best primary car light(s)?

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Good topic!

My answer is just off the cuff and I think it could certainly change with more thought.

I have a SF 9P with an SC in my Exploder and here's why I chose it over other lights. First, I think that lithium batteries are THE way to go for lights that are subject to high temps or swings in temps. I've had it happen where alkaline batteries have leaked in short order ruining things. The cussing and swearing that followed was colorful to say the least.

I also like the white light and the amount of light it throws. I witnessed a nighttime MVA without any ambient light or street lamps to help. Couldn't see anything beyond 5 feet with the light I had at the time, not to mention the constant sweeping motion trying to light things up looking for victims. Pathetic.

My system gives me 3 solid hours of light and I haven't had a need for more than that. I'm very pleased with this setup.

[edited 5 minutes later]

With more thought brought on by synapses firing through cups of coffee, my secondary light is the E1 but I'm giving some serious thought to changing to the Opalec LED and L91 batteries.

sflate

Enlightened
ToddM:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I don't really consider a maglite a flashlight it's more like a baton, hammer, and pry bar with a optional light in the end <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never quite thought of it that way, but that's exactly how I felt. I laughed when I read that.

Jeff: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I have a SF 9P with an SC in my Exploder <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny, that's what I call my Exploder too. It's also what we call it here at the Ford Engine Plant where we make the Duratec Engine!

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
sflate,

The name is truly deserved. Literally and accurately.

Last November I backed out of my driveway and heard a "thunk" and I went into a permament no start condition.

The dealer diagnosed me with a snapped crank that seperated just behind the dampner near the keyway. 103k miles! After Ford said that they design their engines to only last 100k, and after the Zone Manager wouldn't return phone calls to dicuss after warranty assistance to a life long Ford owner, I paid $5k for a new engine.

Exploder isn't the right word, it's the only word!!!

sflate

Enlightened
Not to get too far off topic, I'm sorry you had such problems. You probably have the Cologne Germany engine, not ours. I assure you our engines (The Duratec) last longer than 100K. On the other hand, if your exploder DID explode, it would make one heck of a 'car light' as the topic suggests! Sorry, couldn't resist. I guess you (and I) better make sure our flashlights are suited for use near flammable objects.

ToddM

Enlightened
After reading the what light do you keep in your car thread I thought I would ask everyone what they thought was the best car light or what they desire in a car light.

My main car light has to be waterpoof, fairly impact resistant, preferably with a spare bulb built into the light somehow. It should be bright but headlight bright is not really needed. It should run on common batteries something you can find anywhere in a pinch (C, D, AA). It should also have a runtime of well over a hour, 3-5 hours preferable if not longer. Size is not that big of a deal since it's in a car. Super narrow spot beams are out, ever try to use one of those in a trunk
smile.gif

A lot of the lights in that 2-3 C/D range just have way too tight a spot for my liking I'm sure they are great in a fire or fog but in general close up use they are pretty well useless. The supersabre for example.

The surge is about perfect. I'm pretty sure you could mount a spare bulb inside the head of the light if you wanted. The only downside to the surge is that it uses 8 AA's. I like to keep at least one full battery change for the light usually 2 so that's 16AA's floating around my car
smile.gif

So far my list of great car lights is (but none perfect):

Surge
UK sunlight D4
The UK SL4/6 would be right in there if they had a wide focus option
princeton tec 4C miniwave
pelican laserpro 4D or

Those are my picks for primary car lights

As for compliments, certainly a long running LED light, I always have a photon on my keyring and a attitude or lightwave 2000 would be a good low power long running glove box light. I'd like to see a 4AA version of the attitude. More runtime and more common batteries. I just don't use that many AAA's.

A maglite or similar of course, every car needs one of these, the light isn't that good but it makes a nice impact tool
smile.gif
I remember getting in a 43 car pileup on winter and using my maglite wedged between my tire and fender to bend it back away so it wouldn't cut up the tire. Try that with most flashlights
smile.gif
I don't really consider a maglite a flashlight it's more like a baton, hammer, and pry bar with a optional light in the end
smile.gif

And of course a surefire on my person usually. I just don't like leaving them in my car
smile.gif

Todd

Tombeis

Enlightened
Used Mobile 1 oil in two Blazers with over 180,000 on each. Keeps 'em from exploding. Clean inside. Will work on Ford's too! East or West side of the Cuyahoga.
Let's make this legal. You can buy lots more flashlights with what you save on engine replacement! Make Greg at Brightguy happy! Tom

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Tombeis,

I too use Mobil 1 regularly with their oil filter, changing both every 5k miles. The failure, even according to Ford's people, had nothing to do with a lubrication problem.

This happened on a '97 XLT!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my truck light is a streamlight sl20. it's bright, rechargable in the truck or house and makes a good impact weapon. it's a little smaller than a 3d mag and lighter. your run time can be adjusted with the bulb you use.

i figure if it's in the truck it should be a good size and double as an impact weapon. this along with the e2e in my pocket and innova led on my keychain i got it pretty well covered.