Actual use of your torch?

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
I have been EDCing my new torch for a couple of weeks now, and last night was the first time I actually got a chance to use it - as opposed to playing with it - I watered the garden and it was dark, so I grabbed my novatac, tripple clicked it and used the .33 lumen to light my way, man was I impressed that even at this low setting I could see everything, avoid stepping on squishy things, light up the back of the yard, and see when the water level looked right on the ground.

But that was the first time in two weeks that I have used it. I usually get home when it is light, leave when it is light, work in a lighted environment (court), if I get up in the middle of the night there is usually enough ambient light from various pieces of electronic equipment (hifi, dvd, etc) to light my way, and the house is tidy (no kids yet) so there is nothing to trip over.

I usually walk the dogs in the light, the car has reading lights for checking maps, and I have bedside lamps for reading at night.
All this and I still EDC (novatac and mag solataire), becuase you just never know...but I do not use very often, how about the rest of you?
Does your work/persoanl life differ enough to use your lights, or, like me, are they mainly back ups, just in case, lights?

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here in the northern hemisphere where it's dark from 5p-7a I find plenty of opportunities to use my EDC. Additionally, I use my light at work to inspect product or in the rare power outage (before the building's generator kicks in). Right now I'm EDC'ing a Fenix P1D Q5, in lieu of my NovaTac 120p, due to size. At home, I use my yellow/green A2 on my nightstand for early-morning bathroom visits, or to gather my stuff for work since I start several hours before my wife, so I can't turn the overhead light on.

roguesw

Enlightened
Hey, great to see another New ZEalander , i used to live in Auckland too,
i use my flashlight a lot, my EDC is McLux PR-T with Lux V and L4 and M3T
i use the L4 the most for general light usage at night , walking around, power outtage and just being in a dark alley when i walk home
checking behind the sink, changing lights, walking up stairs in a dark house
i have found lighting up a dark alley prior to walking into it is a good way to check out the area for any type of suprises
My Pr-T is backup and M3T i take on long walks.
They all live on rechargaebles so i dont mind how often i use em
I also carry 6x cr123 as backup + 2x rcr123 all in pouch with the M3
you will find uses for it the more u use it.
thats what i have found out
cheers
Des

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the warmer months I also use my light when I'm watering the plants after dark. Usually my P2D on low, or medium. Not sure how I got by without it in the past. :)

iTorch

Newly Enlightened
hmm - don't get me wrong, I would love to use my light more, and I am not letting it out of my sight, but at the moment I am not using it as much as I would like to be using it, maybe once I get around to getting a recharger and batteries I may use more - guilt free lumens would be nice, in the meantime its keeping my pocket company.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fact there are many instances where having a light is useful. Even looking into a deep drawer much easier if you have a light handy.

But that was the first time in two weeks that I have used it.

why not use it walking around the house at night. Even if there is enough ambient light from electronics it is still nice to use the low low on the novatac to ensure no stubbing of the toe and keep night vision adapted.

ghostguy6

Enlightened
I use mine on a nightly basis, checking dark hall ways, looking for dropped items, quick security checks of dark areas, illuminating ID's, trying to single out people in crowds ect.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to my wife the main function of my EDC is to irritate her. I would use it outside but it's hard to hold a light when both hands are on the snow shovel.:mecry:

Bill

AvPD

Enlightened
I often go for walks at night, have the occasional campfire and camp one or twice a year.
I generally don't like EDCing anything (Every Day Carry for any lurkers wondering what EDC stands for) and bring with me whatever's appropriate for the occasion. Except when I have to rely on the torch in my car, which at the moment is an old 6-LED direct drive 3xAA torch that I upgraded with newer LEDS from Dealextreme.

I've found a headlamp very useful for anything where I'm using my hands or carrying anything.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Don't feel bad, iTorch. There's lots of us out here like you. I kind of envy folks who have good legitimate uses for their lights. Sure, I use mine a good bit around the house, but not because I couldn't reach over and flick a switch. I'm just an unrepentant flashaholic. Play away.

Geoff

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I often find I use my lights instead of other light that is available. Even though I have a bedside table lamp I'll still use a flashlight to read because it is dimmer and won't keep my wife up. As for going to the bathroom, I can get there without a light but when I'm in there it is pitch black and using a light on low is much easier on the eyes than turning on the bathroom light. Today my wife needed me to shine a light in my dog's ear to check something. A few weeks back my wife needed my EDC because the lights were broken in the washroom of the coffee shop we were in. I could go on but the bottom line is I like playing with flashlights so I find reasons to use them instead of waiting for something to happen. When I first stated EDC'ing a light I was initially surprised at how useful it could be on a day to day basis.

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my EDC (NiteCore DI) several times a day every day at work while working on copiers/faxes/printers. When I get home, I use it several times every evening to navigate through my house without having to turn on all the lights when going from room to room.

edit: I also use my CPF Safe-Light to navigate to the restroom in the middle of the night so I don't have to turn on any lights and lose my night vision before going back to sleep (much easier to go back to sleep when your eyes aren't shocked with bright light).

Last edited:

Ned-L

Enlightened
Lately I mostly EDC my JIL with the 14500 Cab body. I use it in the morning to light closets that aren't well lit so I can discern the color of dress shirts and to see ties. I use it to see the lock when I get home from work after dark and no one left the outside light on. I use it to walk to my bedroom after turning off the lights in other rooms. And maybe best of all I use other flashlights on the handlebar of my mountain bike for night rides in the woods. I even got to use a several lights recently when I convinced my wife to go for a 4 mile walk in the woods at night.

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I've always been a night-owl of sorts so, once discovered, flashlights became a mandatory accessory to my life.

Typically my lights see pedestrian use; finding my footing in the dark, lighting up dark corners while working on my car and poking around under things. I also like to use certain lights for reading while driving, the overhead dome bothers me when driving at night so lower level LED lights are used by myself or my passengers when needed.

Occasionally I use my lights for things more exciting like industrial exploration and backwoods tomfoolery.

Of course, use during power outages is expected but it usually only comes up once or twice a year.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Sounds interesting, this Industrial Exploration . . . .

Can you elaborate a bit ? Give some examples or specifics ?

Such a thing is well past my personal capabilities nowadays (i'm 54),
but if i were young, i'd be quite tempted. :candle:

Especially since NOW i have a small, long-lasting, yet very bright flashlight(s).
:)

Still, i / we would really like to read about it.

That is, if you wouldn't mind sharing a story or two.

Thank you. :wave:
_

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EDC Fenix L1T V2.0 gets used alot. It's great for poking round the back of computers or anywhere that would require you to move heavy furniture into the light, rather moving the light to where you need it.

I use it when I am out on night-hikes, I use it to get around the house in the morning, avoiding turning on lights and disturbing people. Back in my youth, I used to use a flashlight to find my way to the toilet at night when I found myself in a strange house and cannot find the light switch.

My Lummi Raw Ti does not get used as often, because the Fenix is easier to get to. However, this is my 'bet your life' flashlight that I have at all times, 'just in case'. It is also so small that you can wear any clothes with it, so it is suitable for any occasion.

One thing I will say, rechargable batteries are the way forward. You use these flashlights alot more when you don't worry abour running costs. All my primary-powered lights have been taken off EDC duty.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my lights everyday and can usually be found tossing an MN16 and MN21 around nightly.

houtex

Enlightened
I use my lights every night for years. I work nights and the nights I don't work I walk the dogs late. The thing that I think is funny is that my edc use to be a Streamlight Stinger until I found this place.