Garrity 1 watt dissection (bored)

Retinator

Enlightened
Well, I milked the last out of this poor <2 yr old light. The switch totally died. I'm no electronics guru, but curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to extract the Lux 1 star out of it.

No cam, no pics and 56k turtle, sorry.

My tool of choice... Swisschamp

Using metal saw for over 20 mins, cut thru entire tube just under threads of the bezel (bezel removed).

Used pliers to tear away at plastic retainer.
Used wire cutters to, well, cut wires.
Used ruler on fish scaler to determine that the aluminum tubing is 1/8" thick.

I haven't been able to pop the star assembly out using my crudest (caveman) methods. So right now I have the star still stuck in a threaded ring with the 2 wires sticking out.

Next step, pull 9 volt out of my alarm clock and overdrive the led....

WOW that's much better than the 3-aaa setup!. LED was running warm after a few secs. I showed some ppl my handiwork and they were impressed for a 1 watt LED.

I;m going to save the entire thing to show a few more guys. Hey it was fun, nothing new to veterans here, but interesting.

As it's replacement, I think I'm gonna bite down on a 6PL, I just gotta find the time to get one. Been too many storms (1 or more a week), need something :)

I was skeptical about the metal saw on the champ, but it really kicks ***. Never used it for anything this heavy :eek: