Anyone own these mounts? How good are they?

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
1. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2080 ( bar mount w/QR)

2. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3098 (helmet mount w/QR)

3. http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2198 (bar mount w/QR clamp)

Those are the three I'm considering. I'm more leaning on #1 and #2 because I want bar and helmet mounts.

How solid is the mount on the bike/helmet?

How positive is the lock on the quick release? Does it lock in tight? Any play/slack/loose?

Lastly for those who have this switch http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2656 how good is it?

Thanks in advance.

mtb-Jeff

Newly Enlightened
I have used #1 & #2 and also a variation of #3 that is a flashlight holder bar mount.

#1 is a very solid mount. It clamps very securely to the bar and seems well made. I didn't use the slide on plastic piece and it seems like the most likely thing to break. You can pivot the light by about +/- 20 degrees from center.

#2 I don't have much trail time on yet but the fact that it is compatible with #1 above makes it a very compelling mount. It's a piece of cake to swap the light between the bar and helmet using this system. The slide-in plastic piece that comes with the helmet mount seems less likely to break then the piece that comes with the bar mount. This can also be found cheaper at Jenson.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/LS400Z34-Nightpro+Helmet+Conversion+Kit.aspx

3# Not so beefy. The bar clamp is adequate but not as good as #1. Also the wing nut isn't as easy to use as the clamp on #1.

Jeff

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Hi Jeff,

:welcome: I noticed it's your first post. THanks fo rthe info and the heads up fo rthe cheaper pricing. I hail from Canada and I have been to the Jenson site before (Nice Scott bike there for about the cost of 1-2yr old budget car :drool::eek:, $9,999ish if I recall right).

I'm not sure if they will ship to Canada. I've not totally checked out thier site yet but can't seem to find the shipping page. I do hope if they ship to Canada it will be cheaper then what BatterySpace charged me for #1 + #2 + the remote switch which they wanted something like $25 USD to ship to me via most eco means. :eek:

So if I understand your comment right above on your usage of #1 and #2 is that you've only used them as is but never removed the sliding thing to check how good the quick release is. Am I correct on that?

Nice to know the helmet mount works on the bar mount. Just like how my NiteHawk AL-X is. :twothumbs

MtLuke

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the first mount you posted. It's actually a nice mount, my only complaint is that the plastic inserts which act as a handlebar adapter, need to be glued to the mount. I lost one side and had to make a replacement. They are supposed to snap in place but they don't really fit tight enough-glue them and you'll be good to go.
I like the fact that you can turn the light slightly and the upper mount is a quick release.

Eric S

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
I've been using the first mount you posted. It's actually a nice mount, my only complaint is that the plastic inserts which act as a handlebar adapter, need to be glued to the mount. I lost one side and had to make a replacement. They are supposed to snap in place but they don't really fit tight enough-glue them and you'll be good to go.
I like the fact that you can turn the light slightly and the upper mount is a quick release.

Eric S

Eric,

Seeing as I don't have the mount yet can you point out on the image what you mean? What plastic inserts are you talking about? Perhaps youcan provide a photo of your mount for reference?

big_quick-release-handlebar-mou.jpg

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
I'm concerned how wellthe QR will hold up. I am a stop-and-go rider so I take my gear off the mounts probably about 4-6 times a day. I always ride with day running lights (front/back). So assuming I get 20 days a month of fair weather riding day and night with about 6 QR removals a day I'm looking at 120 removals a month. Just want to know if it can hold up to that.

MtLuke

Newly Enlightened
My mount came with plastic inserts that snapped into the handlebar area of the mount.
This was meant to allow users of the 31.8mm bars and the old standard to use the same unit.
On mine they just snapped into the handlebar area but never seemed to be really positive 'snap'. I siliconed them in place but after a while I lost one side and made a new spacer out of a thick piece of rubber.
That is my only complaint, but if you epoxy the spacers in, the unit is a really nice unit.
The quick release upper mount is also a nice touch, but taking the whole thing off as one unit is a breeze as well.

Eric S

mtb-Jeff

Newly Enlightened
Hi Jeff,

:welcome: I noticed it's your first post. THanks fo rthe info and the heads up fo rthe cheaper pricing. I hail from Canada and I have been to the Jenson site before (Nice Scott bike there for about the cost of 1-2yr old budget car :drool::eek:, $9,999ish if I recall right).

I'm not sure if they will ship to Canada. I've not totally checked out thier site yet but can't seem to find the shipping page. I do hope if they ship to Canada it will be cheaper then what BatterySpace charged me for #1 + #2 + the remote switch which they wanted something like $25 USD to ship to me via most eco means. :eek:

So if I understand your comment right above on your usage of #1 and #2 is that you've only used them as is but never removed the sliding thing to check how good the quick release is. Am I correct on that?

Nice to know the helmet mount works on the bar mount. Just like how my NiteHawk AL-X is. :twothumbs

Thanks for the welcome. What I meant to say is that I didn't use the slide-on plastic piece that comes with the bar mount. Rather, I used the slide-on plastic piece that comes with the helmet mount and it works with either the bar or helmet. I'm building a copperhead light that I wanted to be able to use in either configuration. The helmet mount plastic piece does not have the raised offset like the bar mount does. To me that looks like a failure just waiting to happen. I'll try posting some pics to show what I mean, but the lights aren't finished yet.

I also have another light, which is a modified 3-LED flashlight, where I bypassed the slide-on plastic piece all together and literally screwed the bar mount directly to the flashlight case. This has proven to be very beefy even after a few crashes in the woods. This light doesn't convert to helmet mount though, so thats the tradeoff.

Also, many Canadians on MTBR have praised Jenson for their fast affordable shipping up north.

0217082016.jpg
0217082007.jpg

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Nice hunter killer look on that light build on the helmet. :twothumbs BTW what helmet model is your helmet? Looks nice.

Yah I just check on Batteryspace and they want $40.xx via UPS Worldwide Express to ship just the two helmet and bar mounts which cost $20. :sick: :sick2:

At JensonUSA it costs $26.25 via UPS International Express for the same items but at a cheaper cost of $14.34.

Argh.. I wonder why both companies can't use USPS which costs less and still arrives here at about the same time plus ~3 days more.

I mean how large are the mounts anyways for it to cost that much in S/H. The bar mount shows 10oz which I think the helmet.

Tidra

Enlightened
Tell me about it,... everything I order from US cost me a fortune on shipping cost for lousy few oz of weight and then I must pay customs for everything that cost more than €22 with shipping cost included in that price...

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
Tell me about it,... everything I order from US cost me a fortune on shipping cost for lousy few oz of weight and then I must pay customs for everything that cost more than €22 with shipping cost included in that price...

I was just checking some of my mounts for the PB Blaze and Nitehawk AL-X and the Bell LED+Xenon mounts and they're all small with exception to the Nitehawk bar mount but they should all fit into a small bubble envelope for cheap shipping.

I think the shipping is way too high for such a small item and they force you to use the expensive and very RIP OFF UPS which almost always (like 8/10 times for me) dings me with customs when if I recall right if you buy $40 or less you should not have to pay customs at all and when you call up to talk about it you're put on the hold loop forever then when you get someone to talk to you get a 'click' while you're complaining to them then have to go through the same crap again.

I'm wondering if anyone feels like having a group buy on this? Something tells me a group buy is needed on an item like this.

Momato

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Will one of you owners of the NightPro mounts please measure the inner and outer distance between the part that mounts to the lamp (i.e. the upper-most part with the wholes in it)?

Thanks in advance :twothumbs

Zero_Enigma

Enlightened
I just about hit the ever loving roof when I did the calculation for this.

2 x http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2656 switch at $4.99 each comes to $9.98

That should fit inside a tiny bubble envelope for like $10 shipping eco shipping but I can't believe it. The cheapest option at BatterySpace being forced to use the ripoff UPS (they r.a.p.e you at the borders AWAYS! :faint:) with the high shipping rates and no option of USPS or cheaper.

Does ANYONE know whereI can get that switch somewhere else cheaper? Is there a group buy on that somewhere? (checked the CPFM area and perhaps oversighted it if it's there) I don't think that 'batteryspace' discount code even works for the 5% even if it was 5% they won't change the shipping. Someone needs to look at that shipping sometime on thier end seriously.

/me checks how much to ship AA batteries.

4x Sanyo Eneloops (test item to see the shipping) $12.xx and it still comes to $40.xx to ship. This is bollocks.