Taking the GS LED and powering it back down ot the original Arc AAA LE level?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a long runtime version with a throttled back GS LED? 10.5 lumens is getting a little too bright for reading up close in dark rooms, etc, but I don't wanna loose efficiency either.

Thanks

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
For clarification, I consider doubling the runtime to be a vast increase considering the limitations that size places on the design.

Rowrbazzle

Newly Enlightened
5-7 lumens with vastly increased runtime and I'll replace my current Arc no questions asked.

+1

Mine is on my keyring. Its the one light I KNOW I'll have with me - and will work - when things go sour, the power goes out, and everything turns pitch black. In any kind of emergency I won't need MORE light, I'll need ENOUGH light LONGER.

dcbeane

Newly Enlightened
Might it be possible to design a driver for the Arc that allows both a higher power function.....and by removing the battery and reversing the polarity it steps down to a longer run time? This negates the need for a two stage switch in the tiny Arc.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes sense to me,
Dropping the drive level to 25mA would give 5 to 7 lumens or so, not exceed the stock drive levels of the LED and boost the runtime. Maybe 8 to 10 hours on an alkaline. Bring back the Arc AA (still have mine!) that would give around 24 hours of regulated runtime on a lithium AA cell. A nice "hurricane light" that would be great in an emergency kit.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
:drool:

If peter builds it I would buy it in a heart beat.
Makes sense to me,
Dropping the drive level to 25mA would give 5 to 7 lumens or so, not exceed the stock drive levels of the LED and boost the runtime. Maybe 8 to 10 hours on an alkaline. Bring back the Arc AA (still have mine!) that would give around 24 hours of regulated runtime on a lithium AA cell. A nice "hurricane light" that would be great in an emergency kit.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been going broke buying everything that he has made lately:sick2:

I would buy this one too.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, for brighter, I have other lights. This is my go to light for reading, working in pitch black up close, etc

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bring back the Arc AA (still have mine!) that would give around 24 hours of regulated runtime on a lithium AA cell. A nice "hurricane light" that would be great in an emergency kit.

I'm holding off buying a Peak Pacific in the hopes that this light will be created.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
5-7 lumens with vastly increased runtime and I'll replace my current Arc no questions asked.

They are so small that I carry 2 Arc AAA-Ps. That effectively doubles the runtime and the redundancy improves the odds that I will have at least one working flashlight.

I appreciate the brighter and whiter versions because my nighttime vision isn't as good as it used to be in my younger days.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering the CPF motto is "buy both", Peter could double his sales by offering another model.

I'm in for 5lm DS/GS model. Since the LED, circuit, & battery are all more efficient at the lower drive levels I think you might see a threefold increase in runtime.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason, a memory is nagging at me that Arc had a longer run version in the past. Ask Craig, he would know for sure.
Of course, this was with the older models with less upfront output.

It may be that Peter will do it, now that the output is so much higher then the old days.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter created a XLR version way back around 2001/2002 timeframe for his own testing. If I recall it was about the same brightness as the original CMG Infinity. I don't think they were ever released. Because of the lower drive levles it had a much longer runtime and a much flatter regulation curve than the normal Arc.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Sounds good to me. I think the drive current was increased from the original Limited Edition model. My Limited Edition pulls 170mA's and my DS pulls 270mA's, both with fresh batteries.

Bill