Where best to place a fuse?

mrsinbad

Enlightened
OK, really dumb question, but may be I can get a quick answer.

If I wanted to protect my electronic devices/circuits, should I place a fuse on the (+) or the (-) side of my power cord, and why?

Thanks!

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You generally don't fuse your neutral return line for safety reasons. If you are going to put one in, put it on your hot lead.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
In a car (assuming negative ground) - it goes in the hot lead as close to the power source as you can

AC - in the Hot lead

Sometimes DC - Put one in BOTH leads

z96Cobra

Enlightened
It is a lot safer to fuse the positive wire. If it is on the negative wire, the positive is still hot even if the fuse is blown.

Little analogy... Where would you rather have a shutoff valve on your home water system if your faucet is leaking, on the supply pipe to the sink, or in the drain pipe under the sink!

Roger

enLIGHTenment

Enlightened
Always fuse the conductor that is at a potential with respect to ground. In DC circuits, this is the positive side. In AC, it's the hot wire or hot wires.

Always place the fuse as close to the source of power (battery, power jack, etc) as possible. Minimize excess cord between the power source and fuse.

Getting either of these rules wrong can start fires or cause injuries because part or all of the device will be left without fuse protection.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always fuse the conductor .

yup, what he said, or, how i would say it.
fuse goes BEFORE any shorting that could occur, even if it looks today like shorting cant happen there.

how long did it take Automobiles to put an inline fuse close to the battery, before running fat amps down the metal (-) frame for 4 feet to the "fuse box" :ohgeez:

Last edited: