Anyone mod'd an old-school Tikka?

cdn-dave

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I heard about this forum from over on MTBR.com, where I built a triple seoul bike light (thanks to Allan/achesalot for instructions).

Impressed with it's power, I'm wondering if my old-school Petzl Tikka can somehow be upgraded. It's the version with 3-AAA, blue housing, one resistor, and three leds all in a row. Not the star or emitter style led, but the Christmas light style (hope that makes sense - not sure I'm allowed to post pics).

Looking forward to your advice!

cheers,
dave

jezzyp

Enlightened
I changed the 3 LEDS on mine with 3 new 35000mcd ones (got them off Kev on BST). The instructions on how to do it are on here somewhere.

Its probably about twice as bright and whiter but nowhere near as bright as the new cree stuff. Still its better than it was and is still my hiking back up light as its small and will run for ages.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
I hope you're aware of the fact that no white 5 mm LED will even come close to 20000 mcd measured objectively, and that 35000 claimed mcd are nothing else than a big rip-off:shakehead

TMorita

Enlightened
I hope you're aware of the fact that no white 5 mm LED will even come close to 20000 mcd measured objectively, and that 35000 claimed mcd are nothing else than a big rip-off:shakehead

I think you haven't been keeping track of recent developments.

See this thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=89607

LVEHK 55,000 mcd = 28k - 30k kmcd
LCK 40,000 mcd = 30k - 31k mcd
LCK 55,000 mcd = 27k mcd
JELED 50,000 mcd = 30k - 36k mcd
JELED 55,000 mcd = 32k - 35k mcd
etc.

So even though most are overrated, there's still some 5mm white LEDs which are much more than 20kmcd.

Toshi

jezzyp

Enlightened

They are still a lot brighter so I'm happy as they weren't expensive.
I got some in keychain lights at the same time and they were brighter than the 22000mcg DX ones.
I know specs are overrated but if its noticeably brighter then thats all I'm bothered about.

hopkins

Enlightened
After a couple of tries I finally found the secret to taking the tikka
apart. We were all joking that it had to be designed by some
rocket scientist on a part time job for Petzl, with these beautifully simple yet
deceptive nesting components

Vicente

Newly Enlightened
There is no SECRET to taking apart old Tikka.

Use a knife and pry at the base of the battery holder until it pops out.

I had to open mine as the slide-switch no longer worked. This is orginal October 2000 unit according to markings inside cover, was the hot stuff the year I took it on hiking trip everyone impressed!

I opened Tikka and re-bent the wire that the slider contacts, so I get to use it longer. I keep my old Tikka at work for small uses now, don't see the point in upgrading it. No swivel-head, and after using TacTikka & Myo XP for a while I consider that essential.

Upgrading the Myo XP with new LED though, that IS worthwhile!

hopkins

Enlightened
sorry Vincente - I should have said the 2004 Tikka. 3 modes + blinking
with 4 so-so LED's.

cdn-dave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip Jezzy. Still new to this forum - what's BST and can I still get some of those 35000mcd LEDs?

cheers,
dave

I changed the 3 LEDS on mine with 3 new 35000mcd ones (got them off Kev on BST). The instructions on how to do it are on here somewhere.

Its probably about twice as bright and whiter but nowhere near as bright as the new cree stuff. Still its better than it was and is still my hiking back up light as its small and will run for ages.

cdn-dave

Newly Enlightened
Ah, gotcha, thanks for the BST explanation!

Another one - if 35000mcd is the state of the art, what would the LEDs in my old Petzl be rated at?

I see 14000mcd on sale for dirt cheap at dealextreme: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1105

Browsing through the BST, there was one mention of a 40000mcd LED, is that the best there is (for now?).

thanks!
dave

cdn-dave

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Just still wondering if anyone can tell me what the mcd rating would be on a vintage Petzl Tikka? Would it be worthwhile to put in three new 14000 mcd LEDs? Or heck, you can get 10 20000 mcd LED keychains for less than $5 to cannabalize!

cheers,
dave