Any interest in 3x17670 holders for the surefire M6?

Illum

Flashaholic
Personally I'm interesting in buying a SERIES battery holder for my M6 but that alone doesn't generate enough support for fivemega to make another run of them.
now that the lumen's factory HO-M6R lamp assembly is available getting a rechargeable M6 should be easier, plus the MN61 can be used too
Image re-hosted from http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=175097

==Images are from c0t0d0s0==​

so who's with me?:)
Current List of solid interests:
0-me
1-Adamlau
2-Radio
3-cqbdude
4-kongfuchicken
5-DM51
6-DM51
7-wasBlinded
8-Sunstar
9-BSBG
10-LED61
11-brunt_sp
12-brunt_sp
13-Gimpy00Wang
14-RichS
15-knightrider
16-IcantC
17-eshishlo
18-Cowley
19-Taboot
20-JetskiMark
21-JNewell
22-ttrans97
23-DieselTech
24-NextLight
25-falconz
26-falconz
27-starburst
28-DaFABRICATA
29-alantch

:wow: list of 30 already:nana:
30-TOMTEC
31-MikeM
32-Lunal_Tic

Last edited:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any interest in 3x16760 holdrs for the surefire M6?

Wouldn't three LiIon cells severely underdrive the M6's bulb? It's meant for 18V after all.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

IMO, M6 is best used with its own MN21 HOLA, but again the thought of using primaries is the issue that put me off buying one. However, with a lot of interest anything is possible....

Illum

Flashaholic

Wouldn't three LiIon cells severely underdrive the M6's bulb? It's meant for 18V after all.

the MB20 battery magazine is designed as 2 series of 3 cells each wired in parallel...so its output is 9V at twice the capacity of lithium primaries:grin2:

heres a video in XPLRN's 1000 lumen Mag thread using the 3x17670 holder if anyones interested. not sure if its series or parallel:confused:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2360750&postcount=18

:huh2: apparently there are two kinds, series and parallel:ohgeez:
pic here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2010731&postcount=11

for the M6 its gotta be series...edited

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Any interest in 3x16760 holders for the surefire M6?

If someone wants to spring for the M6, I'll buy any battery holder you want. :kiss:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm also interested but I'm wondering if the M6 can fit 3 18650s instead of 17670s.
Also, is there any long running options available for this holder not counting custom built tower modules?

Illum

Flashaholic

If someone wants to spring for the M6, I'll buy any battery holder you want. :kiss:
My funds are insufficient to actually buy you one :thinking: :ohgeez:, but if theres any good deals [<$280] I refer you to the link. but for now...stick to monitoring the BST:grin2:

I'm also interested but I'm wondering if the M6 can fit 3 18650s instead of 17670s.
Also, is there any long running options available for this holder not counting custom built tower modules?

someone here might be able to answer your question with some solid evidence. I own an M6...but I don't own any 18650s. As far as I know the answer is no, but thats based on the complete absence of 3x18650 threads pertaining the M6:(

long running options I'd just stick with the stock MB20 holder and run on MN15 lamp assemblies...an hour of runtime seems to be the bottleneck and the MN15 option will run for over two hours on cr123A, but using lithium-ions will instaflash it:ohgeez:

I've sent a PM to fivemega regarding the possibility of doing another run
his response: "Small quantity of these will be ready within 2 weeks or so."
:twothumbs

Last edited:

eshishlo

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys have a ball-park price on the holder. I just missed one on B/S/T... well I didn't have my M6 then.... I would be interested if it is not too expensive.

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

My funds are insufficient to actually buy you one :thinking: :ohgeez:, but if theres any good deals [<$280] I refer you to the link. but for now...stick to monitoring the BST:grin2:

No worries, I was joking about someone buying me one. Used is always a good option, and I already have a KT4 so technically all I need is the body and tailcap. Thanks for bringing this up, though. I'm sure when (not if) I get an M6 I'll want to have a Li-Ion option.

DM51

Flashaholic

Having seen that graph above of the MN61 on 3x 17670s, you betcha I want one of these holders!

It's brighter than the MN21, according to that, and ~30 mins run-time, which means the cells are pulling ~2C which isn't beating them up too badly. It looks like a superb combo.

So, yes please!

-----------------------

BTW kongfuchicken, the I.D. of the M6 body is 36.5 mm (1.43 ins) so 2x 18650 would fit, but not 3.

Illum

Flashaholic

Do you guys have a ball-park price on the holder. I just missed one on B/S/T... well I didn't have my M6 then.... I would be interested if it is not too expensive.

I wouldn't expect a initial cost for one to be over $100, but anywhere below that is likely. since its a custom/homemade part, the price depends entirely on fivemega

I tend to think of it as value of having rechargeables versus cr123A cost in the long run.

DM51

Flashaholic

Should be <$50. It wouldn't be a lot different from the FM 3x17670 holders made for his Mag 1D conversions, and they were $40.

He may even have some of those left that could be adapted. I've got one myself. I'll take a pic of it alongside an MB20, and post it here in a few minutes.

Edit: Here are 2 pics.

M6-pack-1.jpg

M6-pack-2.jpg

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

doh :twak:, now I know why despite the best of my ability to search for a thread on the previous run I could not find it....I didn't search the marketplace...DUH!:shakehead

uh...DM51, your MB20 looks a bit...doctored
exposed brass risers and the PCB under the spring [typical MB20s have tabs on them or is mine just old?]:candle::thinking:

do these "charger port" holders usable in the M6?

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

It wasn't in the MP, it was in an old thread in Custom & Mod B/S/T!

The brass end of the holder is +ve, the Al end –ve. You would have to insulate the brass end so that only a small central part was exposed, to contact the headspring inside the tube. It must not be able to contact the tube walls or end, or you'd get a dead short. Note the configuration of the +ve contact on the MB20 – you'd need to aim for something similar.

The same would be true for the Al end – if it touched the sides of the tube, it would bypass the tailswitch.

The problem is fairly similar at both ends – there is a lot of exposed metal on this holder. There would be nothing to be gained by putting the cells in the holder with reversed polarity and making the brass end –ve.

This will not be a difficult problem to solve. I'll try to get some insulating pieces made over the next few days.

Another (separate) problem is the central (+ve) pin of the charging jack. The M6 tailspring is small, and it could contact the pin, which is not recessed. If it touched the pin, you'd get a short.

Again, the obvious fix here is not difficult. The best thing to do IMO would be to drill the pin right down inside, so this could not happen. You'd lose the serial charging capability, but so what – that is a bad way to charge Li-Ion cells anyway, as they go out of balance. I always charge mine separately.

DM51

Flashaholic

BTW, you are right about that MB20. I've compared it with my other one – here are some pics. There are a few differences, as you can see. I never really noticed them before. Shows how observant I am, lol.

The first one (coil-springs, brass struts) looks an older version, and the 2nd one definitely looks better put together. Do you think the 1st one is a knock-off?

M6-pack-3.jpg

M6-pack-4.jpg