What's the best incan bulb compared to Malkoff MN60?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two RCR123A cell (likely not enough current) may be able to drive the EO-9 at its brightest, whitest and most efficient (outside of a host supporting 2x17670, or 2x18650 cells). In terms of sheer output, the EO-9 will absolutely eat up the M60 indoors and obliterate it outdoors at a distance. The M60 may prove to be more useful for your intended use due to superior flood, however. The SR-9, or HO-9 would be better candidates for an equivalent comparison.

Last edited:

BMF

Enlightened
Two RCR123A cell will be drive the EO-9 at its brightest, whitest and most efficient (outside of a host supporting 2x17670, or 2x18650 cells). In terms of sheer output, the EO-9 will absolutely eat up the M60 indoors and obliterate it outdoors at any distance. The SR-9, or HO-9 would be better candidates for an equivalent comparison.

I'm using 2 RCR-123A so they're only 7.4v, just wonder how it can get the best of 9v bulb? Do you have a link for SR-9? Where to get the lowest price?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I'm using 2 RCR-123A so they're only 7.4v, just wonder how it can get the best of 9v bulb? Do you have a link for SR-9? Where to get the lowest price?

It is only nominally a 9v lamp, just like 3x cr123a cells nominally put out 9v, and 2 x RCR123s put out 'only' 7.4v. It is a bit more complicated than that.

When you apply a load to a cell, the voltage will actually drop, or sag.

Under load, those 3x cr123s are putting out less than 9v, depending on the load, quite a bit less.

Lamp manufacturers know this and design their lamps to run a the actual voltage of the cells under load. 7.2v for the EO-9, and 7.6v for the HO-9.

Now your RCR123s actually come off the charger at 4.2v, x2 = 8.4v. These too will sag under load, and provide just about the right voltage to light the HO-9 just right. Note that 2x RCR123s are really to small to power the EO-9, it's current draw is too high for these smaller cells.

As a rough guide, cells should not be drained at a rate greater than twice their capacity. Your RCR123s are likely to be 750mAh, so you shouldn't run a lamp drawing more than about 1.5 amps.

BMF

Enlightened
How long will it be using 2x RCR123A with EO-9? I want more lumens. And how long for HO-9?

There's another thread about super cheap bulb from China, are they any good?

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I think you should get around 20 minutes on the HO-9 (Based on the published 1.55A draw) but it also depends on how good your cells are.

You shouldn't run the EO-9 on 2x rcr123s. The smallest cells to run this lamp are 17500s. You might be able to get 10 minutes or so in short bursts on the RCR123s, but the overall battery life will be reduced. Most protected cells wont even light this lamp.

I have no idea about those cheap lamps, they could be anything.

I suggest you read up on these things:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

This is a really great thread, with everything you need to know.

mdocod

Flashaholic
you're asking for too much from a 2xRCR123 size light. read the guide, understand that there is a limit on how much power you can get from a particular space, if you want brighter you really need to go a little bigger.