Maglite Xtreme at Walmart???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
Now this is sad... someone bought a light, pulled the old "switcheroo", and returned this (sorry about my crappy cellphone pic, but I had to get a picture):

magext.jpg

I think the 3W Sportsman is about $25, what does the MiniMag go for, about $8-$9? Even so, it doesn't fit in the shell right (it may be hard to see but some packing tape is helping to hold it in), and looks absolutely nothing like the other Rayovac S.E. lights. It is pretty funny though. :crackup:

All of the local WMart's light sections are a mess. The incandescent/LED Maglites are always in a state of randomized chaos (they can't even sort the battery sizes); you almost have to be a bit of a flashoholic just to figure out the right price for the light you want, since you can never trust the tag on the bracket they hang the lights from.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wish I could say I'm surprised. But I'm not.

I've seen the same thing at Wal-Mart and Target.

generic808

Enlightened
And how did this get past customer service when the refund was being issued? Shouldn't the employee have at least matched up the name on the light with the name on the package? :rolleyes:

It was a good laugh though! Thanks for the pic, it made my night :crackup:

Danny S

Newly Enlightened
And how did this get past customer service when the refund was being issued? Shouldn't the employee have at least matched up the name on the light with the name on the package? :rolleyes:

Ah jus cayunt unnerstan it! How could sumfin lak THEE-YUS slip bah ar Skilled Trained Customer Survuce DEEPARTMUNT?!

:shakehead . :shakehead . :shakehead . :shakehead

(Cleetus, the Trained WallyWorld Cust Svc Rep)

WalMartCSRep.gif

Kin Ah Hep Yew ?

;) . ;) . :grin2: . :grin2: . :laughing: . :laughing: . :crackup: . :crackup:

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
The customer service people who took the return probably wouldn't know a Maglite from a Rayovac light if it hit them on the head, and they obviously didn't see that it said "Maglite" on the flashight in the incorrect package. I guess if they did call the guy on it who returned the light, he cold have said he bought it that way and it had been switched in the store (which I guess is a possibility too, but less likely).

Soon after the MagLED lights and C/D replacement LED's came out, I saw several taped-up MagLED drop-ins at Walmart on the racks that had regular incan bulbs in them. My local Walmart has a well-kept flashlight section these days, but that could be because I only go in around 4-5am after work, and they've already straightened things up from the day before.

Danny S

Newly Enlightened
The employees aren't stupid.... They just don't care. :ironic:

Ya know.. I wish that was true.

However.. my job has me working in space leased from a WalMart Supercenter. I've been at this location for nearly 6yrs. I traveled to cover offices located in Walmarts for 2yrs prior to that (23 different WalMarts in all).

Granted my experience does not represent a nationally comprehensive sampling, but in as far as the southeastern US goes I feel I can speak in an informed manner.

Trust me on this.. not only do these employees ("they're not employees.. they're associates!") not care.. they are in large part, truly as dumb as a bag of hammers. Stupid doesn't begin to cover it. C'mon.. how hard is it to operate a toothbrush?!

:thinking:

funny-Wal-Mart-picture-career-oppor.jpg

pbs357

Enlightened
Come on guys, give the store employees a break! I think the real sad part here is the theft that took place. If you take a look around, common sense, basic morality and common decency/manners have been on a serious decline. It's not like this person stole a loaf of bread to feed his family; they basically stole a more expensive flashlight to save $10-$15...

:shakehead

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dunno, I don't really feel sorry for Walmart, Target, Fry's or whatever large store this happens in.
I'm sorry for owners of small shops to whom pilfering and things like wrong items returned cause significant dents in profit margins, but really, I don't give two hoots if superstores make a few thousand bucks less every year.

Funny thing is, stuff like this rarely if ever happens in electronic stores around here. I dunno if it's the staff being more caring or what, but I've yet to see boxes with the wrong items in them in Mediaworld or Euronics stores.

Bror Jace

Enlightened
I think it's sad all the way around for just about everyone involved but no, I won't be shedding too many tears for Walmart in particular.

As for all-time "switcharoo" scams, the best has to be the Hertz Shelby Mustangs. These hot rod Ford Mustangs (GT350s?) were available as rental cars in the 60s ... meant to be a very special rental car for tourists, executives, etc ...

Some people rented them and raced them ... others rented them and pulled out the hot Shelby-tuned V8 motor then installed a run-of-the-mill I6 or V8 ... returning the car a day or two later.

The program wasn't exactly a raving success. :broke:

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared to my store, where I returned a Brinkmann MaxfireLX, and the guy asked for the 2xCR123s that were included.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I just returned a defective coffee maker to my Wal Mart and somehow left out the lid to the coffee decanter and they gave me crap about it and didn't want to let me return it.

Is it possible someone *switched* the lights and bought the Mag Light cheaper, rather than returned one? Not sure how the Mag Light packages are, but they're probably the sealed/melted/impossible to open kind, but...

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for all-time "switcharoo" scams, the best has to be the Hertz Shelby Mustangs. These hot rod Ford Mustangs (GT350s?) were available as rental cars in the 60s ... meant to be a very special rental car for tourists, executives, etc ...

Some people rented them and raced them ... others rented them and pulled out the hot Shelby-tuned V8 motor then installed a run-of-the-mill I6 or V8 ... returning the car a day or two later.

The program wasn't exactly a raving success. :broke:
....and yet Ford/Shelby/Hertz brought the program back for the last couple of years with both coupe and convertible Shelby Mustangs available for rent at select Hertz locations. They did learn from past mistakes though. There was a very long checklist to go over the car before and after it was rented, and there were certain "tamperproof" measures taken to insure nothing was latered or replaced on the Shelby Mustangs this time aroud.

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
I worked for quite some time for an art materials company. I knew coworkers were stealing stuff; some blatantly, and sometimes full cases of expensive items.

I remember we were supposed to have 6 airbrush compressors (a new item we were selling). They were delivered... and then just vanished. One of the receivers saw them at a local pawn shop, with her handwriting on the boxes from when she checked them into inventory.

The irritating part is, as long as damages and theft were under 1% of annual sales... they didn't care. I can understand from the perspective of a big company, this sort of thing is going to happen, and there's only so much you can do about it, so they factor it into the selling price. They really couldn't afford any sort of security measures... so what do you do?

Knowing how much (and how often) items were being stolen pissed me off and I complained to management about it all the time. Too many looked at it as "wage compensation". :shakehead Actually, a hefty portion of the theft was coming from the temps. Sometimes we'd fire them, and a few months later (after they did the circuit of all the jobs the agency offered); they'd come right back. Sad...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Any company that would tolerate theft from its employees, deserves what it gets.

If we're talking the bottom line; something as inexpensive as one hidden camera in the stock-room will pay for itself in no time. Catch an employee stealing? Fire them on the spot! Once the 2nd or 3rd time it happens, theft will become less of an issue. But some companies are penny-wise, and dollar-foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.