L1D AA battery

DavidC

Newly Enlightened
Someone in another thread mentioned using an AA 3 volt battery in the L1D. Would the L1D tolerate a 3.6V 14500 battery?

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D, L2D, and P2D all use the same head. While you can use a 14500(4.2v fully charged) you will lose the lower levels(you get SOS, strobe, and all brightness will will be the same-Turbo until the battery voltage drops to ~3.2v). The head uses a boost circuit and above ~3.2v the light goes in direct drive.

DavidC

Newly Enlightened
Sounds definitely interesting. What's the best brand name in a protected 14500 battery? What charger would you recommend?

I've seen a number of people recommending the Pila charger but their practice of renaming battery sizes leads me to believe they are not a company I would want to do business with.....

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone in another thread mentioned using an AA 3 volt battery in the L1D. Would the L1D tolerate a 3.6V 14500 battery?

I think the other thread was referring to a 3v primary. These can be obtained by disassembling certain Lithium camera batteries. Its not worth it though when you can run the CR123 body and a much cheaper primary CR123.