Total Lunar Eclipse February 20, 2008

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the heads up! I saw the last one a bit too late. I'm in a good spot to see this one provided the coulds allow me.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep maybe I'll be able to make it out the back door to see it... but then again that would mean no clouds in the sky. A rare thing this time of year.

Illum

Flashaholic
to think its been 3 years since the last time us in the US of A can see a lunar eclipse I'll be outdoors...mosquito or not:ohgeez:

jugg2

Enlightened
I will be outside watching, but ever other time I have tried to see an eclipse ther have been to many clouds. Maybe this time will be different.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have the link with the pics from the lunar eclipse last year? I can't find it.

I'll be watching and hoping its clear. East coast is suppose to have the best show.

kingoftf

Newly Enlightened
The last one here in Tenerife has been March last year, very impressive:

358519.jpg

358524.jpg

358523.jpg

358639.jpg

358836.jpg

AvPD

Enlightened
I saw one several years ago, pretty interesting. It must be cool to be be standing on the surface of the moon when that happpens.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I must have forgotten this from my early education. There's an interesting link on Drudge about how Columbus may have saved his life by knowing the date of a Lunar eclipse. Apparently he and his crew had worn out their welcome on Jamaica and were not getting any more food from the native population. He told them he was going to take away the moon if they didn't provide some food. Moon eclipsed and food was provided.

Geoff

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The one last March caught me totally by surprise and I had to google eclipse after midnight to make sure the world wasn't coming to an end! :eek:

Thanks to you guys, I will be prepared tonight but it isn't clear (busted link) as to how it will appear here in Hawaii. I have a decent lens this year and will see what I can get.....

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
(busted link)

Don, does this help?

Looks like for Hawaii, the eclipse will be at moonrise, which for Hawaii tonight is 6:31pm. I can't quite figure out that diagram though. Sorta looks like the total eclipse won't be visible from the zones U3-U4 (Hawaii zone) because at moonrise time the eclipse will be at its max/darkest, then going back to normal. I think I've figured that diagram right, but I'm not sure.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Thanks Peter. Yeah, looking at the other link it seemed that we wouldn't be getting the full show. On West Maui, I have to wait until the moon rises above the mountains as well. I'll know tonight.... :)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clouds alough a peak through here and there.
Its looking pretty cool with binoculars about half way covered, dark side is orangeish.