The new INOVA T-SERIES now with CREE ???!!!

radu1976

Enlightened
I have recently accesed the inovalight site and it seems that they have changed the output and the range of the T-series : T5 has now a 400' range instead of 300' and the output is rated at 200 lumens comparative with the old estimation of 125 lumens. The same happens with all T-SERIES Inovas...they increased in output and in range
I guess it could be one explanation : did they get ride of the K2 and they have installed a CREE ? If yes, what kind of ? Maybe a Q5 ...that could be awesome.
The running time of the T3 is changed too...from 2.5h to 3.5h
I have alraedy e-mailed them regarding this matter.
If their lights will have CREE emitters I would be more excited to buy at least one of them...
Nothing changed in the description of the X-Series.
I am still dreaming at the perfect good looking light : an old T3 TIROS with CREE Q5...this dream will never come true :ironic:

phil000

Newly Enlightened
All that they have done is upgrade the emitter in the T-line, no other changes.

One more nail in the coffin of Inova.
:(
Phil

Xak

Enlightened
I have an older T3. Was thinking of upgrading to an Insight Typhoon 2, perhaps I should wait for some new Inova reviews? Heck, I haven't even seen any reviews on the new Typhoon 2 yet. Would love a side by side comparison of the two by someone.

txgp17

Enlightened
I bought a T4 for my brother last year. It was rated at 125 lumens. Considering the output of the Q5 equipped lights, it's a little meager. I'd love for to them got on board with some much high outputs, and to allow for upgrade of older models.

That's one of the main selling points of the P60 drop in's. Just replace the drop in, instead of the whole light.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
So wait... are these single mode lights like the old T-Series, or are they multiple mode? I'm confused.

Xak

Enlightened
That doesn't address my interest in the Typhoon 2 compared to the new Inovas. I love my old Inova and would love it to be beefed up , but that new Insight Typhoon 2 looks fantastic!

I need some clues as to where to throw my hard earned money. Inova or Insight.

What's it gonna be?

Sell me.

SOMEBODY!!!!

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Typhoon 2 failed on me...For what it's worth.

Only the T4 and T5 will be multi-mode lights.

-dan

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been reading about Flipchip technology, and it looks great-on paper...What it does in a real application isn't determined, yet.

--dan

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All that they have done is upgrade the emitter in the T-line, no other changes.

One more nail in the coffin of Inova.
:(
Phil

Don't think so - the T1 now sports a 4 or 5 hour runtime. They seem to have increased output and decreased current draw significantly with the new leds.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't think so - the T1 now sports a 4 or 5 hour runtime. They seem to have increased output and decreased current draw significantly with the new leds.

I own several Inova lights and take the advertised runtime specifications with a grain of salt.

The K2 2007 generation of T1 and T2 were billed as having 1.5 and 5 hour runtimes. But, the T2 I tested draws so much current (686 mA vs. 675 mA for T1) that the T2 battery life is actually shorter than advertised.

My older TIROS Luxeon version T2 draws only 229 mA for comparison.

Nonetheless, the beams from the K2/reflector tactical lights are terrific (if you win the K2 lottery) and the lights well built.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
...something that may interest you...

An inside source tells me that Inova has aquired an Integrating Sphere(sp?) to measure their lights after assembly. They no longer quote specs based on LED manufacturers claims. Hopefully, we will now get more accurate lumen ratings.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who has bought a T4&T5 Trios and T3 K2...I would really like to see Inova live up to their hype this time.

I hope they do.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
I've posted some advertised runtimes and actual lux readings over in the Marketplace on the T1, T2, and T3's. I compared the new T3 with an older T3 w/optic we had around here(80 lumen). The 2008 T3 has a much wider beam pattern and overall output seems to be quite a bit brighter, but due to the very different beam patterns(reflector vs optic) it's hard to compare the two. Check out the lux ratings...hope they help.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
...something that may interest you...

An inside source tells me that Inova has aquired an Integrating Sphere(sp?) to measure their lights after assembly. They no longer quote specs based on LED manufacturers claims. Hopefully, we will now get more accurate lumen ratings.

Regards,
Flavio
BugoutGearUSA.com

SWEET! Real lumens numbers! Thanks for the info, Flavio. :twothumbs

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the 200 lumen Innova will be a TFFC K2? I might have to pick one up to see how the output compares to other lights claimed to be in the 200 lumen range, if Innova confirms it's really 200 lumens with an IS. Then get a Surefire P61L rated at 200 SF lumens, and see how they stack up. :)