Just got my Arc-UV, but it was D.O.A....

X Racer

Enlightened
Got my Arc UV today, but it was DOA out of the package. I can't even get a flicker out of it, nothing at all. I've tried different batteries, deoxit and progold, cleaning the threads, etc...

Anybody got any ideas or know of any common causes of this with an Arc AAA ?

tnuckels

Enlightened
Several of the "dead"-heads I've purchased recently were not so dead after all, just playing possum. Perhaps your new light might be having the same problem.

Under the foam battery spacer you will see the silver center + contact surrounded by a dark ring and then two more outer silver rings. These two outer rings are where the aluminum head is crimped over the – contact ring of the electronics package, completing the electrical circuit that runs from the tail – end of the battery, through the body of the light to the threads of the head and to the PCBs contact ring. No contact, no light.

You can try "hot-wiring" the light by holding the + end of the battery against the center + contact and a thin piece of wire from the – end of the battery directly to the PCBs contact ring (not the outer crimp). You may have to push the wire firmly against to ring to make contact through any leftover foam, glue, or coatings. If it lights up, you're good to go. If hot-wiring works I've found that running a sharp tool, such as a small knife blade or fine screwdriver blade, around the point where the two rings touch each other will "blend" the two metals together and re-establish the connection that was once there.

Of course, you can always just return it under warrantee, but there's little learned in that exercise …

Good Luck!

X Racer

Enlightened
After removing the foam battery pad, I hotwired it and saw it light for a second.

Well, after cleaning it up some, I got to work on the contact area. It took some doing but I got it to make contact and start working. I had to actually crimp the edge a little and scrape the corner like you mentioned and it works now. Hopefully it will remain working...

Thanks for the advice, it's actually what I was going to try next as I had a similar problem with a CR2 Ion some time ago. Thanks again...