Any advances in 2AA LED format? Anything better than L2D-CE Q5?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've that little Fenix 2AA L2D-CE for some months now... Q4. I know there is Q5 available.

Anything better than that recently, a new generation?

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
On average the Q5 is 7% brighter than Q4. Not noticable to the naked eye. The runtime of the Q5 is less, becasue of a higher Vf.

I'd say there is no 2xAA worth upgrading to at the moment, unless you have the flash on low phenomenon. I upgraded from the Q2 to the Q5 and can't really tell the difference other than I don't have that darn flash anymore thank goodness.

Flic

Enlightened
Good question. The 2xAA format does seem to have been neglected lately.

If your L2D-CE is a few months old it likely has a P4, not Q4 emitter. I have some with Rebel 100, P4, Q2 and Q5 emitters. You will see a noticeable increase from the P4 to the Q5. And as has been mentionned, you'll no longer see the "flash". For now I still think this is THE 2AA light, regardless of the emitter.

Olight has a T25 scheduled for release within the next few days. If it is as good as their T20 2xCR123 lights, it will be winner.

If I were you, I'd wait to see how the T25 is received. If you just cannot wait, I am certain a Q5 L2D will please you.

paulr

Flashaholic
HDS will supposdly have a 2aa pack available for their coming lights.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know where the Q5's are at now, but my L2D-CE P4 on max was quite a bit dimmer than my Luxeon III Millermods L2P and had an ugly puke green tint with a blotchy beam. And two bond wires went through the emitter, you could see it in the hotspot. Turned me off of Crees for awhile.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note by the way there is no guarantee the low mode flash will be gone - my Q5 still has it fairly prominently. Although I gather Fenix has improved on this recently.

My L2D Q5 has the low mode flash as well.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
One I bought around christmas does, one I bought a month or so later doesn't. Good luck? ;)