D26 vs M60

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
I have a G2 and looking for something with some Lumens and overall power. This light will be used intermitently with my P3D. I have RCR123 batteries I will be using..

I would love to get some input from you guys who either or both of these.. Not sure what to go with?

D26 3.7-13V Cree Q5 LED *High Output
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-25-114-125-6437

M60 Mod to fit Surefire
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=18

Thanks in advance!
Chuck

j3bnl

Enlightened
I have a G2 and looking for something with some Lumens and overall power. This light will be used intermitently with my P3D. I have RCR123 batteries I will be using..

I would love to get some input from you guys who either or both of these.. Not sure what to go with?

D26 3.7-13V Cree Q5 LED *High Output
http://www.pts-flashlights.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-25-114-125-6437

M60 Mod to fit Surefire
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=18

Thanks in advance!
Chuck

Also consider one of Dereelights P60 drop-ins. I got one for my Z2 a week or so ago and it works great. You can choose the type of reflector, smooth or OP.
It is a lot cheaper than the other 2 you seem to be considering.

Check them out here :-

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=173730

RichM

Newly Enlightened

I have four of each of them.
Either one would be a good choice.

The Malkoff's and that Wolf-Eyes drop-in appear to be about equally bright.

However, the Malkoff has a smoother beam side-to-side.

I've tried them inside my dark garage and outside.
I live out in the country and have an orchard about 100 yards from the house. I can see deer in the orchard about equally using either the Malkoff or Wolf-Eyes.

In my opinion, for inside use the Malkoff wins. The beam is smoother side-to-side.
The Wolf-Eyes has a sharper transition edge.

With the Malkoff I would be able to see an intruder right off to the sides but not so easily with the Wolf-Eyes

I should also mention that if you use one of the 'Defender' type heads on your light, you'll loose some of the benefit of the Malkoff's lighting off to the side. That style head adds it's own sharp transition to the beam.

Rich

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I cant tell by looking the pics, does the Malkoff come with a reflector? When putting into my G2 would I just have to drop it in?

RichM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I cant tell by looking the pics, does the Malkoff come with a reflector? When putting into my G2 would I just have to drop it in?
Yes, it's a completely stand-alone drop-in. Nothing else is required.

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
OK I think that I will go with the Malkoffs...

Just saw that they are sold out.. Hmm. Anyone know how often they have them?

Thanks.

Last edited:

RichM

Newly Enlightened
OK I think that I will go with the Malkoffs...

Just saw that they are sold out.. Hmm. Anyone know how often they have them?
Thanks.

Now you have a challenge on your hands.

It took me several months to get my four.

To get the last two, I had to set up the Laptop on the kitchen table and tell my wife to refresh the browser every time she walked by. When she saw that they were available, she called me at work and I talked her through the ordering process.

The good news is that they're becoming available more frequently and in larger quantities than they used to be. Over the last few days they've showed up at least three times that I'm aware of.

Good luck. They're worth waiting for.

Rich

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
I guess I will have to be on top of this. I need this light within 3 weeks. I go on Vaca and need this befor I depart..

Hmm I might not be able to wait?

Thanks,
Chuck

roymail

Enlightened
Which M60 module are you wanting... high or low? Using a G2 you are limited on how long you can run the HO module due to heat issues. There is no problem with the 140+ lumen LO.

Just thought I'd remind you of that. Good luck. :D

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Anyone know how often they have them?
Gene's site has this to say, "In 2008 we are planning an expansion that will enable us to meet the demand for our Dropins..."

But there's a lot of 2008 left & you need one in the next 21 days. Watch the BST section, a few have been available recently - that's where I bought mine, after trying for weeks on Gene's site.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 is a great drop-in, I have one in my SF G2, but it gets hot quickly. That's okay for me, since I use it briefly. If you think you'd want to use it for several minutes at a time you might want to look into one of the lower power M60's, or put it in a metal bodied light. I think Gene says you can go 15 minutes with the M60, but I'd be nervous running mine that long. :) It gets too hot to hold after a couple minutes (if you turn the light off and open it up to feel the dropin).

Gene is still getting up to speed and he has been adding high quantities of his products to his site on a more regular basis. Get on his email list and try and keep an eye out for his emails.

Herpn

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tips and the warnings. I did read a thread about Genes site and I know they come and go quickly. I would like the high output one and I did see the 15 minute warning. I will only kick this thing on when P3D is falling short and I want some quick strong light. I general hike at night with 2 lights in my hand one normal high out put and the other for a quick strong burst.. I am now in the E-mails list and will be checking back often..

If anyone see that they are up a post in this thread would be greatly appreciated though.. :twothumbs

As for the deerlight
Thanks again. 1SM-1 or 1SM-2 I have not seen a lumen rating, or a run time? Anyone have any clues as to what they are?

Thanks again..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Reading the specs of the drop-in, I'd presume 160-170 lumen out the front with a runtime of around 1.5 hours.