Badgeholder / keychain reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know of a source for the little gizmo that acts like the reel type keyholders, but is used for holding a badge for swiping into readers?
It's a small disk, about the size of a half dollar, and has a thin nylon string attached to a ring, which pulls out and retracts when released. I've been using it for my Arc AAA; very handy because it keeps it from swinging around, yet gives full extension when using it.
I'd like to get some more of these, but don't know from where-

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stainless:
[QB]Check out this: http://www.idwarehouse.com.au/keyhldr/ndex_keyh.html
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That ID Zinger looks just like what I have, but doesn't look too easy to buy from- that's what I'm looking for, though! http://www.lanyardfactory.com/ also has it; they have a min order of 10 pieces for $1.89 each; guess I'll just have to get a bunch unless there's another source with onesies-twosies. I'll check the office supply places as suggested, maybe, before ordering. These things are very handy, so I probably could use 10 of them though...

The steel cable one is nice too, looks super duty, probably could hang from it, but I only need the light duty type with the nylon lanyard.

Thanks for the links!

N8

Newly Enlightened
If you look up Cabelas Outdoor Supply or order one of their catalogs in the fishing stuff you will find several kinds. Also check places that make keys or ID's.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Tumi keychain with the steel cable which is similar to the Gear Keepers, but it's a bit heavier and bigger than the nylon one I have, which works perfectly for my Arc. Like the blurb says, Grab it, use it, let it go; it works perfectly and is lightweight, which complements the Arc. Also, the lanyard extends out a bit more on the nylon one a bit more, which allows me to go full arm's length with the light.

Looks like Black Bart's thread had the same question about the quantity purchase from the Lanyard Factory for the retractable reels, but didn't work out- How about a custom CPF logo quantity purchase?
grin.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Checked with the Lanyard Factory, and they said shipping would be $9-10 for the small quantities I was looking for; or $2.75 for each in total. I'll have to make the rounds at Staples and Office Max to see if they have them at all.
That Gearkeeper line seems pretty nice, but it doesn't look like they have the very light duty ones I'm looking for; 12 oz retraction force is a bit of overkill for an Arc AAA or Infinity.. They sure have a lot of applications listed for these things- paints a comical picture, me with all my lights and gizmos tethered, Medusa-like, or Spiderman-like
smile.gif

My little nephews seem to be amused no end pulling on the light and seeing it magically retract, which may be a good reason for getting spares... I try to direct them to the steel cabled one instead, which I presume would hold up better to all the fun-

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, am I missing something on the Lanyard Factory site? I see the retractable reels, but all seem to use thread, I can't find any with steel cable. What I'd like is one of these retractable reels that is the same size as, or not too much bigger than, the standard little cotton-thread versions, but has the steel cable. I will look at gear keepers, but from memory, those retractable reels are much bigger than the standard-sized ones you can see on lanyard factory.

Thanks for any pointers.

Joe

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's right, the steel cable versions aren't offered on the Lanyard Factory site, and they're larger than the nylon threaded ones. That's why I was just looking for the relatively tiny ones; that's all I happen to need for my purposes.

Found it at Staples, sold under the Avery name; $5.99 for two.
Retractable Reel Clips, p/n 74455. 30" extension length on the reel.
I find this to be the perfect holder for the Arc AAA, because I can hang it on a short neck lanyard that won't swing around and get in the way, yet access it instantly to full arms length. When I'm done with it, I just let it go, and it retracts right back and out of the way. Perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.