?'s... concerning P3D, 18650, P60 drop-in, lights using P60 and other questions...

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Alright... when I go to annual training for the Ohio Army National Guard this year in the summer for three weeks I would really like to have a nice, bright thrower that is regulated (if possible, is operated too) like a Fenix P3D. This will be in addition to my P2D Rebel 100 with Tenergy RCR123 900mah cells.

Here's the problem...

I want to use 18650 cells in the light, and I want it to be around the same size. Now, if I could mill out the center of the P3D to accommodate the 18650 (has this been done and CAN this be done?), will the 18650 power it and will it work with all the modes?

Also... if that won't work, then what's my best alternative and is there a light that works like a Fenix P3D, is roughly the same size, and can take 18650 cells and P60 drop-in (looking to use Malkoff)?

I'm not really familiar with the DX lights, Lighthound, Batteryjunction and all the "off brand" lights like Romisen and etc... but, if it fits the description I'm all for it.

Thanks in advance! I hope this helps more than just me...
-RC

P.S. I tried to search for these subjects, but the subject matter came up with holes for my specific questions.

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 18650 will not fit in A P3D, the only 17670 that fit was unprotected and just barely. On top of that the P3D has a buck driver and will give you the low voltage warning(flashing) at ~ 3.8v-4.0v(in as little as 15 minutes. For more throw you need a bigger reflector and for an 18650 you need a slightly wider battery tube. The best light that I can think of would be a Dereelight CL1H. It takes an 18650, uses a P60 drop-in and has ~ 10000 lux at 1m with smooth reflector.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
What is the difference between the Dereelight CL1H versions? There's like five of them?

Also, any other alternatives?

Thanks,
RC

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
FliguyRyan,

To tell you the truth there really isn't anything on the market that is exactly what you are looking for. Every single light that uses the 18650 cell is quite a bit larger than a P3D. Most of them have slightly larger bodies, and have MUCH larger heads. It won't matter if you will be carrying them in a bag, but if you're planning on putting them in a pocket or a holster it will be noticeably different.

The best single 18650 lights are:

Dereelight CL1H V.3
Wolf Eyes D2AX Defender Cree Q5 HO

Both of these lights are larger than your P3D, but they are still pretty small compared to the average flashlight.
Dereelight has a number of P60 drop ins that are all very nice. They have a 2 stage, and 3 stage that are both fully regulated. They also have a 5 stage and an infinite stage drop in. I would personally go with the 3 stage since it seems to have the best output/runtime of the bunch.

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
I have both the WE Defender and the Sniper and like them a lot. They are identical except for the slightly longer and larger strike bezel of the Defender (it also costs a few dollars more). So if you're looking for a smaller size the Sniper is the way to go but it's still bigger than the P3D.
The WE lights easily accept protected 18650's and as mentioned you have a wide choice of D26 dropins. Both mine have 2-level Q2's.
The dealer specials sticky thread in the CPF MarketPlace has the link to setup your discount with Mike at Pacific Tactical for WE products at very good prices.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Also, can the Dereelight CL1H take 2x CR123 cells or 2x RCR123 cells as well as the 18650 cell?

I'm considering the T1 Fenix and the Tiablo MA6 as well just for the use of the RCR123s I already have...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know what you're asking for. Several here on CPF have been asking for it for months on end now. I agree the closest thing you'll get is a Dereelight CL1H or a SF Lego using a LEEF or TnC body.
As for Dereelight dropins there is a nice 1 stage dropin that turns on and off - thats it. I'd say that is the one you want if you already have a fancy multimode light like a Fenix. For using an 18650 you want the "d" or digital model that runs absolutely flat regulation at 1.2A. :devil:
A wolf Eyes Q5 dropin and Sniper will also work but again isn't as small as we're thinking of.

All we can do is hope that manufacturers stop dragging their knuckles, kicking, screaming, and whining about 18650s not being mainstream; and then make a nice compact 18650 light.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
After looking at the reviews and specs of the CL1H, I really find it to be a fascinating light. Everyone seems to say it throws really well and the option of the P60 upgrade is fantastic. I really want to use my RCR123 cells in the 3SD Three-stage module, but the 18650 cells will do, I'll just have to pick some up with a charger.

Can anyone recommend the highest mAh 18650 cells with a charger that can handle my Tenergy RCR123 900mAh cells as well?

Thanks...
-RC

RecycledElectron

Newly Enlightened
This is a small, simple, bright 18650 light. It will run for over 2 hours on my Trustfire 2500mah batteries. It is HAIII coated. It's a little brighter than my RC-F4's so it gives over 125 lumen out the front. They claim 150 and I believe them. It's small enough that you can fit it comfortably in a standard jean pocket. It does appear to take a standard P60 drop-in so at a later date you can upgrade if you like.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3154
Probably should use AW's batteries. You can charge both RCR's and 18650 in a DSD charger.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1305
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2179
RCR's cannot be used in this light, just 18650's.

Another good choice if you're just using RCR's is the Tactical Olight T20. I have a Olight T20 Q5 and it's bright and efficient on RCR's.

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
This is a small, simple, bright 18650 light. It will run for over 2 hours on my Trustfire 2500mah batteries. It is HAIII coated. It's a little brighter than my RC-F4's so it gives over 125 lumen out the front. They claim 150 and I believe them. It's small enough that you can fit it comfortably in a standard jean pocket. It does appear to take a standard P60 drop-in so at a later date you can upgrade if you like.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3154
Probably should use AW's batteries. You can charge both RCR's and 18650 in a DSD charger.
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1305
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2179
RCR's cannot be used in this light, just 18650's.

Another good choice if you're just using RCR's is the Tactical Olight T20. I have a Olight T20 Q5 and it's bright and efficient on RCR's.

RecycledElectron,

Does this light have the option of replacing tailcaps or switches to make it a multi-mode light? Can you do that with a P60 drop-in and will it accept P60 modules for sure? Anything else you can tell me would be appreciated. How does it compare to the CL1H?

Thanks,
RC

P.S. If you do indeed own the light, can you post more pictures? Like the size relative to a dollar bill or AA and some more beamshots... thanks!