Titan and RCR2 ?

DM51

Flashaholic
Frenchled, this is off topic, but perhaps you can help here. Can you see your post #1 in this thread?

I can't see anything there - no post at all.

I am assuming the post there did not work properly and you can't see it, which is why you have now posted again. Is that correct?

My apologies for the temporary hijack.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Yes, you're all right !! All you said is right ..

I can't see my post in the the first thread I opened and I sent an email to Sasha about it, because the thread was duplicated too !!

And after that I can't even add one post, so I decided to open a new thread, thank you for your help in killing the old thread named " Questions for Titan owners"

:wave:

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Pascal,
I don't have a Titan nor do I know the answer to your question but I do know it takes specialized buck/boost drivers to run both 3v primaries and 4.2v li-ion cells on a single ~3.6v vf led.

I know that Wayne makes such converters and I seriously doubt that SF's titan board was designed for this purpose as they only recommend use of their lights with primaries.

If you're using these elusive 3V li-ion cells, I believe the setup would work (albeit with reduced runtime and possible problem fitting the cell into the light) but I strongly recommend against putting anything in there that registers above 3V.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Mine works perfectly on RCR2s

Mike from OpticsHQ also said in the public Sales thread for the Titan
that they should work with RCR2s in answer to this very query
posed by me.

Its really not in his interests to have any Titans that he sells malfunction so I would assume he has had this confirmed by Surefire.

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered an RCR2 for the Titan but am still to find anything definitive in relation to this question. Does anyone know of any threads where there is confirmation from SF that 3.7-4.2v will not cause any long term harm to the Titan?

cy

Flashaholic
been using CR2 li-ion from the go... wouldn't EDC a light that doesn't support li-ion.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
been using CR2 li-ion from the go... wouldn't EDC a light that doesn't support li-ion.

Thanks Cy, I'm aware that you and a few others are using them without issue but I guess that only means 6-12 months of use. I'm looking for something from SF to confirm the compatability and that warranty is not affacted

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast

AvidHiker

Enlightened
I've also been using a regular 3.7v AW RCR2 with no issues, although a 3v regulated Li-ion would probably be your safest bet if you're so concerned. Sounds like the best confirmation we have is the OpticsHQ dealer.... opinion? don't recall if he offered a source for this information. I also don't recall reading anything in the Titan manual recommending against using rechargables (but don't quote me on that), nor did Surefire machine the battery tube with close tolerances to match a primary lithium (as they commonly do with other models that employ boost circuits). Since this light seems to be a significant departure from Surefire's usual LED circuitry, I would be kind of suprised if it wasn't a "state of the art" buck/boost circuit.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Mine works perfectly on RCR2s
I've just ordered an RCR2 for the Titan
I've been using an Ultrafire 3.0v RCR2. Works perfectly, no problems whatsoever.
I've also been using a regular 3.7v AW RCR2 with no issues, although a 3v regulated Li-ion would probably be your safest bet if you're so concerned.
Is there any more information on running the Titan with rechargeables? One reason I love this light is for it's unparalleled low. Although it wouldn't bother me to gain a little on the top end , I wouldn't want to do it at the expense of losing my low.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Is there any more information on running the Titan with rechargeables? One reason I love this light is for it's unparalleled low. Although it wouldn't bother me to gain a little on the top end , I wouldn't want to do it at the expense of losing my low.

Its nearly a year now and I've never had a problem with RCR2s.

The low is as low as can be. Seems to be the same with RCR2s as normal CR2s.

I can stare right at it and its only a faint glow.

There have been no reported problems with RCR2s from anyone as far as I know in about a year's ownership.