thread lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidC

Newly Enlightened
What do you folks use for thread lube on the bodytube, tailcap, etc?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search in the google window at the top of the page. There are numerous threads on the subject.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use silicone grease widely available. Do not use Vaseline. If you need to know more do a search on Lube. There is tons of information already available.

Bill

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest the search function, there's many threads about this...probably gets asked once a day....

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Krytox on the threads and RadioShack low viscosity synthetic with Teflon on O-rings at twisty tailcaps.

Wilkey

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! This is the multi vitamin thread -- once a day!

You've bought a flashlight. You've learned about CPF. You've read a little bit here and there and think that you have just a simple question to ask,...

But you find out that now you have opened a door...

A door that leads to a strange and twisted path...

And on that path is a sign post.

The sign post up ahead says, "Welcome to the Twilight Zone!..."

In all seriousness, it is very important information to have. There is much to learn about which lubes to use, which not to use, where some are OK and some not, and why you would not want to expose some parts to certain lubes.

Yes, much has been posted on this topic. It is easy to find with a quick search. It is basic information for serious flashlight collectors and users to have. These are tools that are not always inexpensive. For crying out loud, these are things that your life really could depend on.

Yes, there is also debate on what some think is acceptable and some do not. Read up on the topic and make your own decisions.

Other words or phrases to use to search:

nyogel
petroleum products
grit
o-ring
pure silicone
maintenance

Other things to consider:

How much lube do I use?
How often do I use it?
How do I perform preventive maintenance?
How do I clean the threads and other parts?
How much do I have to disassemble my flashlight?
How much is this going to cost me?
Where do I find this stuff?
What did I get myself into?

Is there a chance this information could be made into a sticky, consolidated into a part of the wiki, or even a separate section for discussion?

dano101

Enlightened
+1 to that.

Out of all the choices however, ive personally had the best luck with the Nyogel. But thats just my personal preference. I have no basis of scientific fact on drying out o-rings, and conductivity etc... i just know that it (for me) provides the right amount of slide and resistance on the threads... easy to open with one hand but not going to slide unthreaded during normal use.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I bought film canisters filled with Nyogel here years ago & I still have plenty of years supply. Great stuff! I won't use anything else.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Is there a chance this information could be made into a sticky...

+1 for a General Flashlight Maintenence sticky

I've got a bit of background on this, as one day I decided to sift through the CPF archives regarding lube to get some answers. Hours later, a few points were clear:

-You can use pretty much anything to lube a flashlight, since there's nothing to corrode and modern o-rings are impervious to petroleum (and will eventually wear anyway). Vaseline, teflon tape, bike grease, etc, whatever's clever.

-Most of the good lubes "feel" the same. There isn't any particular one that makes the threads magically better over the others, so getting fancy/expensive lube is purely optional.

-Don't mix more than one kind of lube on the same place, otherwise the less viscous lube will "float" on the other one, making things way too slick and/or messy.

-Conductivity is a non-issue; If "non-conductive" lube made a flashlight inoperable, it wouldn't have worked when you first took it out of the box.

-Look at the places that sell flashlight parts/accessories for flashlight lube, it doesn't have to be a goose chase.

-There is no one single "correct" way to clean a flashlight. Rubbing alcohol and a makeup sponge, WD40 and a rag, placing it in a dishwasher, etc. Just avoid abrasives.

So that's what I've culled from a few years worth of posts on the subject. And I personally use rubbing alcohol/rag to clean, and Krytox 50/50 to lube.

ki0ak

Newly Enlightened
Lowes and Home Depot both sell a small container of plumber's silicone grease for less than $4. This works fine for me ...

+1 on the plumber's silicone grease. It's a small container, but each application is a very small amount so the container lasts a looooong time. :)

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the category could be for both lube and holsters since I see questions for these arise fairly frequently. Could also add lens dimensions in the mix.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
vaseline.

This is the second post on vaseline. I don't want to hurt any feelings guys but you should not recommend people put vaseline on their flashlights. Vaseline IS a petroleum product and can eat away at the rubber O-Rings in the light over time. Some manufacturers specifically state to not use Petroleum lubricates for the same above stated reason.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.