What to do with Surefire M3 & others?

Mr. Bruin

Newly Enlightened
Let me start with this... I'm pretty new to the forums here, but I've had the flashlight bug for a while. A few of my lights are mutts now -- being integrated with parts from Surefires, Pentagons, Fenix, Deal Extreme, Pelican, etc.

At this point I have a few "unused" lights that I'd like to be able to use for applications.

I have a Surefire M3, Surefire 6P & Surefire pressure pad tailcap.

What I would really like is a VERY high output, recoil insensitive light (to be firearm mounted & preferably brighter than a Fenix T1 which the M3 doesn't seem to measure up to with fresh batteries).

Any suggestions on what to do? Battery life is nominally important, intensity being far more so. Is there any way to crank the M3 up - a lot? What's my best option for the 6P?

I tried to do a search on the M3, but couldn't find anything recent. Maybe people are using these stock or they're considered too expensive to mod?

Thanks for the help.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
I haven't seen a Fenix T1, so I can't compare it to anything, however the M3 with either the Lumens Factory E0-M3 or the MN11 is very bright. Being incandescent you should find at any real distance that either of these options should far out perform an LED like the T1.

If you with to go the rechargeable route, the EO-M3 can be run on 2x17500s, but the MN11 draws a bit too much current for these cells. A better idea is to get an A19 extender and use 2x17670s for the MN11.

As for the 6P, the latest and greatest for this would be the Malkoff M60.

jugg2

Enlightened
Throw a turbohead on the M3, add an EO-M3T from Lumens Factory. I run the bulb off of 2X18650 and it is awesome!

cqbdude

Enlightened
Throw a turbohead on the M3, add an EO-M3T from Lumens Factory. I run the bulb off of 2X18650 and it is awesome!

M3T will work with 2 x 18650?? I thought the M3 takes 3 CR123..
Isn't the 18650 equal in length of 2 x CR123..

If the M3T will work with 2 x 18650...that would be great...

nzgunnie

Enlightened

Have you had the M3 bored to accept the 18650, and do you use an extender? The only reason I ask is that the M3 wont actually accept those cells.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd just hold off a little bit for Surefire to release their KL9 head. Of course, that could be till the end of the year. 380 lumens please!

schiesz

ugrey

Enlightened
Wait for Surefire to produce the KL9 head that will produce 350 lumens. It is supposed to be out this year and will fit and run in M3s. It is shown in this years weapon catalog. I know I can't wait.

Supernam

Enlightened
M3T will work with 2 x 18650?? I thought the M3 takes 3 CR123..
Isn't the 18650 equal in length of 2 x CR123..

If the M3T will work with 2 x 18650...that would be great...

Yes, it would work if you had the correct body for it (Leef makes some).

3xCR123= around 9V, 2 lithium ions come out to about 7.4-8.4v depending on how fresh off the charger they are. The thing is that LiIons won't sag as much under current draw, so sometimes 2 LiIons actually outperform primaries. A direct rechargeable solution for the M3 is to use 2 17500 LiIon's available from AW. I use these in my Streamlight TL-3 which is everything the M3 is minus the good looks and about $180 off the pricetag.

Mr. Bruin

Newly Enlightened
Wow, this forum doesn't disappoint. Thanks for all the great info.

Patience sounds like a good call.

I don't mind draining $ in batteries for these lights as they're being used in applications where safety is the highest priority. The MN11 head is bright, but I would like another hundred lumens (I guess that's what we all say...) I'll look forward to checking out the KL9

Sounds like I might end up picking up the turbo head, too. I got an excellent deal on the M3, so adding parts to it won't bother me.

To those who haven't seen the Fenix T1 - it's very nice. I'm quite impressed and consider it an excellent value, given its brightness, extreme heft (very over-engineered) and durability. Mine has taken a heavy beating and still runs like a champ.

PS - the M3 is designed to be used with the SF/Rogers... the TL-3 won't do that. But yeah, it's expensive and sexy.

EDIT: I just re-read and found the Lumens Factory reference. Their E0-M3 looks like it would be a good addition, as suggested. THANKS!

Last edited:

txgp17

Enlightened
Wait for Surefire to produce the KL9 head that will produce 350 lumens. It is supposed to be out this year and will fit and run in M3s. It is shown in this years weapon catalog. I know I can't wait.
+1

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Awhile back I had my L6 body bored out for 18mm diameter LiIon's and used an A19 to run a Cree modded KL6. Recently I bought an M3 bezel and I am now running two 18500 with the MN10 and it is working just great with more output than three CR123's (bounce with lightmeter). Few Led lights put out such a nice beam as an MN10.

Bill

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your highest incandescent output bet would be to bore the M3 for unprotected 18500 cells to burst the MN16. The real fun with SF lights starts with the M4.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Err, if that M3 is going spare, I may be in the market to give it a good home, depending on price. PM me if interested.

Although, it would seem that the Li-ion and Lumens Factory bulb may be the way to go. That would mean retaining your M3.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who used to carry and use an M3 (with the HO bulb) and who has owned a few of the current generations of bright leds... (including the T1) I would also advise waiting. The T1's, Tiablo's, Jetbeams, Lumapower etc. Q5 lights are all putting out about the same light. New multiled lights are becoming smaller, but powering them is a challange and I do not know if 2 or 3 123a's are up to the task. (a P7 for example)

As to your light (M3) It would be nice it a incredibly bright led drop in exhisted for it. None do that I know of. You can buy HO bulbs from it from a few different people, but as mentioned above, fitting the right batteries in you tube to properly power it takes work.

If you wait for a couple of months, Wolfeyes, Lumapower, Fenix or some other fast responding brand might have what you are looking for and you could sell your light in the b/s/t section to partially fund a new one. Or you can wait until the end of the year for SF's 400 lumen light to come out.

Anyway, welcome to cpf!