How well does the Deree CL1H throw

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering ordering it with both reflectors.
I'll actually order two of them. One as a belt carry light, the other as a weapon mounted light.

I know the DBS will have a lot more throw, but cash is tight and if the smaller light is suitable I can handle that. Considering two CL1H lights run almost $60.00 less than buying one DBS and one CL1H if the CL1H will handle my needs I can save a few bucks (need a quick release mount for the Aimpoint)

Currently running a Wolf Eyes Sniper with Q5 module on my carbine and would prefer a bit less side spill.

Anyone have beam shots comparing the various lights?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
No shots but I can tell you that the spot is large enough to light up a car and surrounding area at 150' If you need more than that, you'll probably have to go to a turbo head.

I carry the CL1H in a holster on my belt and it is unobtrusive, comfortable, and easily deployed. I love it. The close up beam pattern with the smooth reflector frankly sucks. Ringy and uneven. It's just plain fugly. I think you'll find that with the SM reflector, spill might be slightly less, but the artifact-laden quality of it will really detract from critical use. The OP reflector makes the spot and spill just lovely for the 8-100' range. The spot is quite bright here in suburbia even out to 50' for light adjusted vision.

Wilkey

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
No shots but I can tell you that the spot is large enough to light up a car and surrounding area at 150' If you need more than that, you'll probably have to go to a turbo head.

I carry the CL1H in a holster on my belt and it is unobtrusive, comfortable, and easily deployed. I love it. The close up beam pattern with the smooth reflector frankly sucks. Ringy and uneven. It's just plain fugly. I think you'll find that with the SM reflector, spill might be slightly less, but the artifact-laden quality of it will really detract from critical use. The OP reflector makes the spot and spill just lovely for the 8-100' range. The spot is quite bright here in suburbia even out to 50' for light adjusted vision.

Wilkey

This light can use 18650 cells, but can it use CR123? I don't know if that's a "given" or not, but light-reviews.com didn't list the CR123 cells as a power source. Also, this light uses the P60 head modules correct? And if so, could a Digital Infinite module be placed in to give it the infinite light adjustment?

Also, has anyone heard anything about Malkoff making a Digital Infinite for their P60?

Thanks,
RC

fluke

Enlightened
I have a smooth 1 stage module in my 6PBK and it throws very very well.
Last night I was lighting the side of a block of flats (Apartment Building for the US members) at 237 feet away (Goggle measurement).

Stunning drop-in I think they are the best P60 throwers at the moment.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light can use 18650 cells, but can it use CR123? I don't know if that's a "given" or not, but light-reviews.com didn't list the CR123 cells as a power source. Also, this light uses the P60 head modules correct? And if so, could a Digital Infinite module be placed in to give it the infinite light adjustment?

Thanks,
RC

CR123's can be used, but only with the 1SM and 2SM pills (light engines). The 1SD, 2SD, 3SD, and DI pills are 4.2v max only, optimized for use with 18650's. Dereelight has a DI pill that gives you infinite adjustment of the brightness. I like the DI pills, but they may not be the best choice when you need the light to change mods quickly, or not change at all. It's more for general utility use where you would have time to make adjustments when needed.

My CL1H with smooth reflector can easily light things up at 500 feet, and farther. It will faintly lights things up out to 600-700 feet. I often shine mine at a tree line about 600-700 feet away that is in total darkness, and there is enough light to make out individual trees, but a DBS would be better for that type of distance. I get 9,300LUX with my CL1H smooth, CL1H textured R2 DI 6,400lux, Fenix T1 6,350LUX, Regal WT1 12,790 lux, DBS V2 R2 28,300 lux.

Fird

Enlightened
I've used the smooth reflector, and you'll never notice the rings, especially if you've ever used a m@g before, the rings are very faint and nothing in comparison. The throw is incredible, i've done somewhere over 250ft comfortably with the OP reflector and a Q4 pill driven at 1A (the newer Q5 SD pills go to 1.2A, the SM pills I think are still 1A), it only gets a bit brighter on the smooth reflectors. As an EDC the beam pattern, I'm finding, is a little bit tight, I could use another few degrees width.. thank goodness it's a drop-in light, i can always GET those few degrees with a floody dropin :-D

For weaponry purposes in less than complete darkness I wouldn't shoot at much over (i'm guessing here..) ~350ft, but I know for a fact that my night vision is NOT very good, and I have a Q4 pill so your mileage may vary.

Fird

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good input from everyone. I think the best advice is to pick one up (based on switch and modes required) and give it a try. What's sufficiently light for one at 250' may not be sufficient for another at a mere 150'.

Wilkey

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
After looking at the reviews and specs of the CL1H, I really find it to be a fascinating light. Everyone seems to say it throws really well and the option of the P60 upgrade is fantastic. I really want to use my RCR123 cells in the 3SD Three-stage module, but the 18650 cells will do, I'll just have to pick some up with a charger.

Can anyone recommend the highest mAh 18650 cells with a charger that can handle my Tenergy RCR123 900mAh cells as well?

This is what I've found so far...

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=468 for the charger and http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1600
for the batteries

Thanks...
-RC

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
FliGuyRyan,

Most here will recommend AW batteries. THey may not have the highest rating, but I hear they run longer than other brands that advertise having more capacity, but the main point is they are respected for being one of the safest and best quality 18650's. You want the protected 18650's to reduce the risk of over charging, over discharging, and most importantly, KABOOOOOOOOOOMM!!!!

AW's sale thread:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=173892

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Sorry to go back to the lights subject, but WadeF... you mentioned the Regalight WT-1 and I also looked at the LumaPower M1-R on light-reviews.com.

Are the WT-1 and M1-R able to take the P60 module like the CL1H? Also, do you like your Regalight and which light out of the lights that are in the CL1H's class do you like the best?

Thanks, and sorry for all the specific questions...
RC

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to go back to the lights subject, but WadeF... you mentioned the Regalight WT-1 and I also looked at the LumaPower M1-R on light-reviews.com.

Are the WT-1 and M1-R able to take the P60 module like the CL1H? Also, do you like your Regalight and which light out of the lights that are in the CL1H's class do you like the best?

Thanks, and sorry for all the specific questions...
RC

I like my Regalight, it's a nice light. I'm not sure if they are still available? I heard they were ending production I think, but I'm not sure of all the specifics It throws, but I don't think it can take P60's. I like my CL1H the best because it's much more configurable, upgradeable, etc, which makes it more versitile.

I'm not sure if the M1-R can take P60's or be upgraded, I don't have one.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CL1H digital is the best throwing light in its class, and the brightest. Very good regulation, although there is a relatively short runtime.

Here's the latest CL1H vs the latest Sniper (CL1H pill @ 1.2A)

(shot taken by RichS)
2191493604_dfba0386bd_b.jpg

Last edited:

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few throwers the CL1H being one of them,I was surprised how far it throws 500' easily.
No slouch! when used to back up my DBS,food for thought.. they will both get better too! as dereelight are always bringing out pills with the latest emitters installed :)

FliGuyRyan

Enlightened
Where does Dereelight develop and manufacture out of? And WadeF, you said that the CL1H is very configurable; does this mean you can use it as a weaponlight then with the appropriate mount and switches?

Also... I'm not up-to-speed on the P60 modules. Who makes the "good" ones and when are the "good" R2 Crees coming out and will this greatly affect the output - anyone have that one LED emitter chart with the Cree, Rebel, Seouls, etc... ?

Thanks again...
RC

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does Dereelight develop and manufacture out of? And WadeF, you said that the CL1H is very configurable; does this mean you can use it as a weaponlight then with the appropriate mount and switches?

Also... I'm not up-to-speed on the P60 modules. Who makes the "good" ones and when are the "good" R2 Crees coming out and will this greatly affect the output - anyone have that one LED emitter chart with the Cree, Rebel, Seouls, etc... ?

Thanks again...
RC
Dereelights are made in China. They(Dereelight) already had R2s, but unfortunately are sold out. Here is a thread with all the P60s https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173764 I'm not sure about the mounts and switches for use as a weapon light.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dereelights aren't really designed as weapon lights. They don't make any mounts or switches for that kind of thing, although some people have mounted them to their guns.

You can swap around light engines, reflectors, tail swith covers, use various batteries depending on the light engine (pill).

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it will be used as a weapon mounted light on my AR-15 carbine in an urban environment (primarily).

While the DBS (V2) would probably be a better option with the 1SM-1 module, it is a heavy light and may even be more than I need.

If I get the CL1H as a weapon light it will be V3.0 2SM.
Does the above listed version use a twist assembly to change from high to low or is it a function of the click switch? If it's the click switch then the point becomes moot as a 2 stage light on a weapon is generally useless.

I'm at the final stages of my decision. Both would be ordered as the 2 reflector kit.

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2SM uses the twisting of the battery tube to switch between low(loose) and high(tight). You can use an 18650 or 2 CR123s(max input 6.0v).