Where do I get Surge bulbs?

Zeppert

Enlightened
Where can I purchase some bulbs for the Surge at a good price?

Also would there happen to be an upgrade bulb that would work brighter or would the flashlight not be able to handle the heat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I was going to try to make it brighter by replacing the Alk. batt. with Lithium but I'm afraid the bulb will blow. Anyone know?

LightBright

Enlightened
The Surge bulb does not like much voltage over 6.0 volts. Alkalines work in the Surge, because with the high bulb current those AA's output drops off quickly, and therefore not as much heat is generated either. I have a Lithium Ion powered Surge, and I have to use voltage control circuits for keeping the bulb intact and to keep the reflector from melting. It's only good for short periods because with the plastic body there's no decent path for the heat to dissipate.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
BrightGuy and Princeton Tec both say DO NOT use lithiums in the Surge...too much voltage for too long. The bulb WILL blow!

PJD

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightBright,

You mentioned Li-Ion. Could you enlighten us on that mod? I've been looking for various lights to modify with Li-Ion but the Surge battery holder doesn't look like it's easy to accept Li-Ions.

CM

LightBright

Enlightened
That's right, Li-Ions won't fit. I just pulled the battery holder out and stuffed the Li-Ions into the flashlight. They have plenty of room and the flashlight is half the weight now (8 oz.)