Best AA flashlight for EverLED

Frostpaw

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm interested in getting the EverLED and I prefer to use AA NiMH batteries. I'm looking for a tough, high-quality flashlight that will take the EverLED PR-replacement bulb.

I think probably the "ultimate" version of this would be a 3-AA flashlight with full lexan case, high-quality switch and would be waterproof. A metal flashlight would be nice too.

BTW: I presently have an old 3-AA Petzl headlamp that would be pretty neat with the EverLED.
-Frostpaw

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm keeping an eye on this also. Seems like a Princeton Tech 40 is going to be in the running for this title along with the various lights configured like the TurtleLight. There are also a variety of cheapo 2 AA plastic flashlights that take PR bulbs that may be worth trying. It won't be long before we can find out how well they work in these kinds of lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PT Tec 40 is what I am planning on using one in. I also have a couple of 2AA Energizer Waterproofs that might be nice and I am going to try it in them as well.

I wonder how they would work plugged into the middle of a dead and gutted P60??? Or what about making a custom bulb holder plug and opening up the reflector and sticking one in a Brinkman LX??

Frostpaw

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I think the PT-40 is probably the best bet. It's about 1 battery larger than I would like, but it's pretty close.

Do you suppose the EverLED would have full brightness if I put it into a PT-20?

PT-20

-F.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
EverActive (china-mart) has a "stainless steel and rubber" light which is waterproof and floats. I picked one up today to try (along with a small lantern) but some zealous "associate" found my merchandise while I was looking through the $5.88 DVD rack - and carted the stuff away while I wasn't looking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
Anyhow, something to check out.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm looking at using an EverLED in a Garrity headlamp that I would mount on my bicycle helmet. I'm assuming (wrongly maybe?) that the EverLED would have sufficient oomph to do the trick. I live in a dark rural area -- even a 2AA mini-mag is almost enough. I would be using it to find my way and to avoid obstacles (skunks, rocks, potholes, etc.) rather than to be noticed by cars.

I found a Garrity headlamp in a Canadian Tire Store in Kentville, Nova Scotia, but for the life of me, I can't tell which type of bulb it uses, screw-mount or PR2. The headlamp has a focusing, tiltable relector head, an elastic headband and two light-grey, thermoplastic housings at the rear for a total of 4 AA batteries. I can't find the headlamp on the Garrity website (www.garritylites.com) or any other site I've found with Google.

Anyone know what type of bulb it uses?

Thanks in advance.

Illuminated

Enlightened
The Princeton Tec Vortec is the 4AA Headlamp equivalent of the Tec 40 and even uses the same textured reflector. The battery compartment and light are all one piece. It's also dive rated to 1000 feet, so no water will be getting in there.

I've used this on the bike helmet by removing the head straps and using heavy duty rubberbands through the helmet vents to hold it in place. It's heavy enough to feel, but balances well enough if mounted directly on top of the helmet. I even added reflective tape around the batt compartment for added safety.

I'm anxious to hear more comments about the EverLED in the Princeton Tec lights...

John