Possible MiniMag mod?

wildstar87

Enlightened
So even though I am currently spec'ing out a Quad Led M*g build, I started thinking about another project. (Does the MADNESS EVER STOP??!!)

I currently have a MiniMag with a Terralux TLE-5EX the Cree version. It's nice, but I was thinking of brighter (aren't we always?).

I also recently saw this 14mm "star" Cree Q5 at DX
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11023

I have no experiences with making a sandwich/sammie, and a lot of the links for them seem to be broken in the MiniMag modding thread. Though after looking further at the stuff on Sandwich Shoppe, and doing some measuring, I think I figured out how to do a sammie with an SSC and a BadBoy, but I digress..

I know the Cree was not really able to be effectively used for the MiniMag sammies because of the size of the package being to big to fit through the 10mm top hole of the MiniMag.

But I'm thinking that you could mount this Q5 star on top of the hole instead, like the Terralux drop in, but in this case I would AA Epoxy to the body in order to heatsink the star to the body. This could be wired to a Badboy or whatever driver, though I would have to make some sort of "dummy" sammie for underneath to take up the same space as the normal switch module, with the driver at the bottom.

Whaddya think? I'm also not sure what I could use for optics, because I know the standard MiniMag reflector even bored out, doesn't work to hot with the Cree (tried it with the TLE-5EX).

Maybe I'm bringing up ancient history, but I just thought, hey that Ultrafire WF-606A looks a lot like a MiniMag, why can't I just put a driver and LED on the thing? I know, it probably end up costing more, but at least I know what is driving it, and build quality, and I think I could get it brighter than it.. :whistle:

Last edited:

Cydonia

Enlightened
I was "studying the sandwiches" the other day too. Didn't like the prices I was seeing. Just got my first Mini Mag the other day... hmm... I'm going for a dim SMJLED MiniMag drop in I think ;)
I would go MiniMag hotwire if I could use 6 Eneloops... a 4AA tube extender for MiniMag's anyone? :laughing:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this idea. The only problem is a lot of the drivers commonly used DO NOT tolerate power being supplied to them without an emitter attached. So if you went this route, be sure to always remove batteries if you are taking off the LED. Otherwise you could blow your driver.

schiesz

wildstar87

Enlightened
Well a tail switch IMO would be mandatory for this, so as long as I make sure the switch is turned on shouldn't be a problem..

BTW... Does anyone have a way of making your own tailswitch using the normal tailcap for a MiniMag? I thought I might have seen one, but can't seem to find it in search.

It would be nice to keep the colors the same.

Empyfree

Enlightened
I know "Elektrolumens" (wayne) is working on a mini-mag drop in with a lean towards brightness. I too have the TLE-5 drop in and it is pretty dismal compared to my other lights now! Makes me chuckle to think how much I loved it when I first installed it!

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wildstar
You and I are on the same hunt. I have a few posts in the Shoppe forum and one in the Battery/Electronics forum.
On one post from the Shoppe, I was told, "Choose your emitter/converter/set up charge".
Here is what I got………

"There are no Cree sandwiches at the moment. Only using Luxeon or Seoul for current sandwiches.

A custom sandwich can be ordered. You'll need to order the converter board, emitter plus connector, LED and then order the BK item to have it custom assembled"……………..

I tried but I can't tell what is what. It's mostly set up for the "do it your selfers".

Anyway, I've been asking for a brighter drop-in for the Mini.
I was underwelmed with the "Terralux Extreme". It's mearly OK for a drop-in.

So, anyone know the difference between a BB, Madmax Plus Madmax Lite or a GD 750 converter?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know "Elektrolumens" (wayne) is working on a mini-mag drop in with a lean towards brightness. I too have the TLE-5 drop in and it is pretty dismal compared to my other lights now! Makes me chuckle to think how much I loved it when I first installed it!
I had a Elektrolumens drop-in from way back. It was a Lux III pushed to 500ma. It was very bright till I dropped it.
Now that higher output LED's are here, it would be nice to have a new "sammie" with them in it.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I dom't see the drop in (2nd link) for sale yet. Please post wehn you get it and also info on availability.

Could be fun for a minimag...

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
There seems to be a demand for a good high output module for the Mini. I wonder if someone will make some? We could ask Wayne?

wildstar87

Enlightened
I think Wayne hasn't decided yet (that's what I gathered from the thread) due to the fragile nature of the SSC dome, which would be the easiest one to mod the light with.

I guess I will have to get a Cree to see if my thinking will actually work in creating a mod on a MiniMag.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Wayne Johnson has decided not to offer the drop in by itself. But he will sell one assembled inside a minimag. E-mail Wayne. That is how I ordered the 14500 direct drive in a cutdown minimag one a month ago.

The Sandwich Shoppe will sell assembled Sandwiches with the SSC-P4. See post 4 in this thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/189459
The micropuck used in the Elektrolumens minimak drop in outputs 500mA at 3V input. It may only output only 400 mA at 2.4V (NiMH). BadBoy and NexGen sandwiches go up to 1A.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was my post you are referring to. I still don't know what converter board to use. As I said earlier, So, anyone know the difference between a BB, Madmax Plus Madmax Lite or a GD 750 converter?
I believe that the Nexgen is a type of BB but I don't what the difference is on them.

I may ask Wayne to sell one based on that I will take full reasonability for a damaged dome.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://home.comcast.net/~theledguy/technical/converter_comparison/index.htm
This is my reading of the page, but I am not into electronics so there may be errors.

Downboy requires the input voltage to be above the Vf of the LED ~3.4V for Cree or SSC, ~3.6V for a Luxeon. Good for 2xCR123A light.

Wiz2 is a buck boost circuit. Works when the battery is below (CR123A at 3V < 3.4V) or above (RCR123A at 4.2V > 3.4V) the Vf of the LED.

The above 2 is not suitable for a minimag with regular AAs which is 2.4V (NiMH) to 3V (alkaline).

MadMax is a semi regulated circuit. As alkaline batteries are used up and the input voltage drops the output drops. Your light gradually dims if you use alkalines. The advantage is the Madmax can work with almost dead batteries or 1AA lights.
MadMax Lite max at 400mA (~1.5W), MadMax Plus goes to 900mA (~3W).

BadBoy is a fully regulated circuit. It provides constant current and thus light until the batteries cannot support the power then it dies very abruptly. The current is set by the sense resistor so the brightness can be set choosing a different resistor. (The link for calculating the resistor does not work so you may have to ask in the electronics or mod forums)

Nexgen works like a BadBoy when the batteries are fresh. When the batteries cannot support the power required, instead of just dying it drops out of regulation into moon mode so you get a period of dim light to look for fresher batteries.

EDIT
The Micropuck used by Elektrolumens is a semi regulated circuit, and works like a MadMax.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
I take it a micropuck driver is similar to the madmax, ie. Semi-regulated?

I assume the semi-regulated ones work well with nimh since it has a pretty flat discharge curve.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH will give a more constant brightness but also will also die abruptly. So it might be advisable to always carry a backup light.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also recently saw this 14mm "star" Cree Q5 at DX
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11023

I have no experiences with making a sandwich/sammie, and a lot of the links for them seem to be broken in the MiniMag modding thread. Though after looking further at the stuff on Sandwich Shoppe, and doing some measuring, I think I figured out how to do a sammie with an SSC and a BadBoy, but I digress..

I know the Cree was not really able to be effectively used for the MiniMag sammies because of the size of the package being to big to fit through the 10mm top hole of the MiniMag.

But I'm thinking that you could mount this Q5 star on top of the hole instead, like the Terralux drop in, but in this case I would AA Epoxy to the body in order to heatsink the star to the body. This could be wired to a Badboy or whatever driver, though I would have to make some sort of "dummy" sammie for underneath to take up the same space as the normal switch module, with the driver at the bottom.

Whaddya think? I'm also not sure what I could use for optics, because I know the standard MiniMag reflector even bored out, doesn't work to hot with the Cree (tried it with the TLE-5EX).

Maybe I'm bringing up ancient history, but I just thought, hey that Ultrafire WF-606A looks a lot like a MiniMag, why can't I just put a driver and LED on the thing? I know, it probably end up costing more, but at least I know what is driving it, and build quality, and I think I could get it brighter than it.. :whistle:

I've had a similar idea. How about Cree XRE Q5 on a 14mm board mounted on top of the Minimag end with AA. Powered by a 500Ma Micropuck mounted on the inside where the original bulb holder sits. The fraen 19mm reflector drops straight in the Minimag head. The only thing is you would have to use a tailswitch.

Here's a drop in I made using a LuxIII and a Micropuck....

DSC00382.jpg

Or you could use a bare Cree emitter and open up the hole, maybe cut the corners off the Cree base?
So many ways do do the same thing:confused:

Don't know when I'll have time to do this, one day.

Russki

Enlightened
Here we go.
Maglight 2AA with Cree q5, Mcr-17XR, Madmax lite.
Very bright. Estimated around 100 Lm.
Enjoy

DSC_0278.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg